MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used a forum before, but am in a bit of a pickle!

I have a john cooper works mini and smoke has started coming through the air vents after about 10 minutes worth of driving? It is black smoke and smells kinda of musty? The air vents are turned off and it continues to produce smoke for quite sometime after the engine is switched off. Temp is normal according to gauges and no warning lights have come on. Having driven it today the same thing happened (twice now) drove home with air vents open max and windows down which seems to solve the problem as no smoke, but it is not a great solution!!!!

I have rung BMW who said it was quite a coincidence, but that a mini was being looked at for the same problem, so i am awaiting a call to see if they can pin point the problem before i take mine in!

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as i have decided it would be best not to use it till an explanation can be found! Could this be an electrical fault or merely a duct getting to hot???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for above thread.

however i have seemingly no water leak and no smoke produced from any other part of the engine or car, only the interior air vents?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Why I posted the link is because you may be at the early stages of burning through something with the end result as per the linked thread.

Personaly I would not drive the car - too much risk. Let MINI have it to sort out ASAP

Oh --- and welcome to MINI 2

·
Registered
851 Posts
If possible I would take it to the dealer (or have it collected) and demand a loan car in replacement till the problem is fixed. Take the view that it's not doing you any good to breath it in, and that it could eventually cause serious damage. If the dealer aren't helpful contact Mini Customer Services. The worse case scenario is that it will go up in flames! So use that too! (Touch wood it doesn't, and I doubt it would...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts