MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering de-chroming my OEM clear rear lights for a while and finally managed to get round to it last week with help from a friend!

Steps were as follows:

-Removed lights.
-Masked them up to protect them from scratches and sawed the lens covers off at the joints.
-Masked up all holes in the back of lights and the lights themselves.
-Sprayed the chrome part using Plasti-Kote Matt Black plastic spray paint (3 coats on each light)
-Left them to dry and then re-sealed using black sealant. (No misting up or anything so far!)

I was a bit unsure while i was hacking my lights up as i didn't have a spare set, but now i'm really pleased with how they've turned out, i think they look great!!! :D

Pics are below, let me know what you guys think! :) Next up is de-chromed beltline, after that i think i'm done for this year! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a crackin job mate, and nice to see dark silver and white roof for once, any more pics of your car?
Thanks very much :)

I agree! I've only ever seen one other DS/W on the road, they all seem to be black!
As for more pics, there's some here that were taken before the de-chroming mod when i introduced myself to the forum:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/photos-photoshops-videos-showcases/162758-hi-guys-meet-maddox-my-mini-cooper-s.html

I am planning on removing the bonnet stripes, colour coding my scoop, colour coding the mirror caps because you barely see any R53's with CC mirrors and i think it will look good! I'm also going to de-chrome the beltline, and then he will be staying as he is for this year, can't afford any more mods!

Thanks,
Jamie.

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
I am stupid, i have already looked at that thread and thought how nice it was. Defo colour code the scoop, but i like the bonnet stripes :)

Nice motor though mate!

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey where bout u get ur rear lights from?? i have a dark silver cooper s with white roof an mirrors, had it bout 2 months nw an wanna spruce it up abit....i jus cant help myself!!
lookin awesome aswell mate...
mart

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey where bout u get ur rear lights from?? i have a dark silver cooper s with white roof an mirrors, had it bout 2 months nw an wanna spruce it up abit....i jus cant help myself!!
lookin awesome aswell mate...
mart
Hi, thanks mate. :) My lights are the OEM clear rears and were already on the car when i bought it. I simply sprayed the chrome inserts black. You would probably be able to find a pair of the lights either on ebay or in the classifieds on here :) There are also loads of other different varieties to choose from, and some threads on here showing them all :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Glad I looked in thought this was just another beltline dechrome, was considering doing this myself to my clears on my DS but Still not sure, any more photos?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts