MINI Cooper Forum banner

My Mini Cooper! (First Car!!)

4K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  minionefun 
#1 ·
Hey guys!.. Im 23 years old.. and just got my first car! (yes.. 23.. I know I've waited a while!).. I thought I'd treat myself after the long wait and get a mini cooper!

Just wanted to know your opinion.. Should I keep the racing stripes that go down the middle?.. What about the fog lights.. would it look better with or without?

Thanks guys.. soo chuffed! :D

See less See more
#4 ·
Personally id take all of the stickers off, change the rear lights, remove the centre exhaust and remove the american style number plate.

Apart from that nice car!

#6 ·
What David King said - remove the centre exhaust and american number plate. Other than that, the decals are your decision, but I would consider removing the spot lights - they aren't OEM, so if you like the idea of spots, get OEM, or if not, just get rid!:)

#7 ·
If you like he car how it looks as it is and if you feel that the spots and decals make it individual from all the other Silver Coopers ................... leave it as it is and ENJOY!!!! :biggrin:

We all like different looks and thats why Mini's; more than any other car; are so individual and unique. You obviously like it looking that way, which is why you bought it. :nice:

#11 ·
Thanks for the comments so far! The main thing I was in 2 minds about when I first saw the car was the racing stripes.. echoed by a few on here too!

You guys think it would look too plain without them?.. would it be better with nothing at all or is there a decal out there that would look perfect on the car?

Im keeping the COOPER decal.. think it looks awesome! Aswell as the rear lights.. however.. I dont like the rear plate either! (how much does it cost to get a normal one?)

Thanks once again guys!

#12 ·
Thanks for the comments so far! The main thing I was in 2 minds about when I first saw the car was the racing stripes.. echoed by a few on here too!

You guys think it would look too plain without them?.. would it be better with nothing at all or is there a decal out there that would look perfect on the car?

Im keeping the COOPER decal.. think it looks awesome! Aswell as the rear lights.. however.. I dont like the rear plate either! (how much does it cost to get a normal one?)

Thanks once again guys!
go to showplates & order one-

Have the carbon fibre font- ( looks excellent)
its usually a score for front & back delivered)

BTDO

#14 ·
Hi, welcome to MINI2, and congrats on getting the cooper!!!

I love the cooper decals along the side deffo a keeper!!!!!

However personally i'd get rid of the american style rear plate, and the spots!!
Im not really into how the stripes on the roof are silver and they turn black on the bonnet...
But i like how the roof is black and the body is silver......but as i said that's personally....i'd remove the stickers on the roof and bonnet too....and either leave it plain, or try find something else unique. One more thing, change the side indicator light's too clear :D

Once again welcome :D:D:D

#16 ·
So.. I finally decided that I want to take the stripes off. I ring the guy.. and he said he'll charge me £100!! because its worth a 'day's labour!'.

Is it possible for me to do it myself!?.. Im not really good with cars/cleaning etc :eek:

(by the way.. these stripes are not factory fitted are they?.. Im sure the new cooper's dont come with stripes like that... )

#19 ·
Of course, the only problem with taking the stripes off is how long have they been on - over time paint fades a bit, so when you take them off, there may be a shadow of where they used to be. Still, good luck whatever your decision!:)

#20 ·
Hey Hugo.. its a 2nd hand 02 plate. For that price its pretty good I think!.

Im ringing up some valet people in Leicester.. best I've been quoted so far is £30. Even Sytner in Leicester said that £100 is too expensive!

As soon as the stripes are off.. I'll be a happy chappy!.... (with a Mini :D!)

#24 ·
50k Emma.. pretty decent for the price I guess.

Just wanted to ask.. when people say there might be a 'colour change' under the stripes.. how bad is that colour change?.. and is it for definate?
Ever seen old LDV vans in red? You usually see them with a shadow of royal mail left on them - they were usually royal mail vans! It can be quite bad, but it varies on a number of facts, so you can never be sure. Still with a bit of colour restorer, you may be able to cure the effect - not sure whether this will work though!;)

#25 ·
Soo... I picked it up from the garage today! It was fully serviced/valeted... and just looked so much better!

Drove it for about an hour.. the only minor thing I noticed was that if I left the wheel the car 'slightly' drifted to the left?.. I did my driving lessons in a Mini One, and that had a similar problem.. is it a problem with my car.. or mini's in general.. or even 'cars' in general (bearing in mind I've only driven Mini's!)

Loving everything else though.. I realised today that the 'stripes'.. arnt just stripes! You see the checks in the middle?.. well they're all seperate little squares! No wonder he said £100!. They are starting to grow on me though.. I think it might look much better if I manage to take the squares off and leave two black stripes going from back to front!

Oh and as for the number plate.. the garage is sorting me a normal one out for free :D!

#40 ·
Ive got that secret shelf aswell.. Its got the mini wallet thing in it at the moment!

Its funny because.. all those people that thought Minis were small etc.. changed their perception when they actually sat in it!.. I've had so many 'damn.. its much more spacious than I thought!'.

#42 ·
Ok now Im depressed.

I feel like the boy who cried wolf.. At first.. I thought there was a problem with the whinning sound when I turn my wheel.. only to find out its the electric motor.

Then I think the front lights are not working.. only to find out you need to pull the indicator shift towards you! (amateur I know.. The previous car had a special button for it!)

And now.. I have a frigging puncture!!!.. tried to put air in it but it didnt make a difference :(

I think I know what caused it aswell.. I tried to be a hero and park into a tight space.. and my rear right wheel went on the curb and was there for a while whilst I tried to move myself around etc!.. Can something like that cause a puncture!??

Also.. would a puncture or tyre replacement be covered in my warranty with the dealer? (I cant call them now because they'll be closed... but need peace of mind here!)

Oh but apart from that.. I just love it!! Did about 40 miles within Leicester.. lovely!

#45 ·
i couldn't tell you, it would depend on what make of tyre you go for, some are more expensive than others! you'd prob go for the same make that the other 3 tyre's are as it would look a bit odd if not as the make is normally around the side of it. they might be able to fix it as is! i wouldn't of thought that would mess up your tyre, you might of went over a bit glass or a nail or something. who know's it'sjust one of those things i suppose!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.