MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post on these forums, so all help would be greatly appreciated.

My mini is dead. Last night i popped to my local tesco in it, and returned 15 minutes later. After parking up and going into my appartment the car alarm went off for roughly an hour (as i was inside my appartment and couldn't hear it).

A neighbour told me about the alarm so i went out to check. i tried to unlock the car with my central locking, but nothing. then opened the door with my key and tried the ignition... nothing. dead as a door nail, no lights on the dash, nothing. so i guessed it had something to do with the battery.

popped the bonnet... the car smelt of burning the battery was red hot. so i left it over night and would try again the morning.

I did so, still nothing. i tried jump starting it.... still nothing, just lots of sparks from the leads.

So i'm stumped to why my car is dead. I'm presuming its something to do with the electrics from the battery. but i'm the least mechanical minded person there is.

by the way, its a 2001 Mini One. with 52,500 miles on the clock.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem with their mini? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers -

Andy.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
It might help if you post what MINI you have..... year, model, mileage etc ;)

I can't help, but that might help others help you ;)

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
I would guess you have been stung by the dreaded "power steering pump stuck on" problem.

The sparks as you connect (jump?) leads to the battery would indicate something in the car is pullng alot of current and this could be the PAS pump, although it can indicate a failed/shorted cell in the battery too.

My advice would be if you know nothing of car electrics, or electrics in general, leave well alone and get someone who does to have a look at it, on the other hand, if you cant afford that, or you feel confident enough, there are a few tests I could talk (type!) you through.

C

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds very similar to the problem i had! Battery went dead,couldnt get it started and it turned out it was the power steering pump which was constantly on(i did notice this when getting out of the car but it sounded like the fan :eek:)
Lucky for me id only just brought the car so it had a 6 month warranty on it! The recovery managed to get it started again my jumping it but there was ALOT of sparks and everytime i turned of the ignition i had to disconnect the battery!
Get it to a garage!
Oh by the way mine is a mini one 2001 that had 51k on the clock!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
many thanks for all the responses and help!
I took it too my local BMW mini garage and is being checked over today.

I'll keep you guys updated to how it goes.

Thanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just got off the phone with BMW.

It was infact the power steering pump. they quoted me £1200 to fix it and get it back on the road.

I haven't got that kind of money to get it fixed, do you think I could put it through the insurance as a fire?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Only your insurance can answer that but it sounds to me like a simple part failure. Sadly most insurance companies won't cover this. You might find a general garage that can do the work for a lot less than MINI. Typically I steer clear of dealers after warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from what they told me, the power steering pump has a fuse connected to it... which burnt out and through some wiring. Wouldn't that be classed as a fire?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
As this is a known fault will the dealership be open to a goodwill gesture if you tell them after doing some research this is a fairly well know problem...

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Search the forums and print out the recorded problems. Tell the dealer that you know it is an issue that has happened to many MINI owners and ask if they are willing to cover the parts. Generally they can do that but not labor.

As for the fire, I doubt that they will cover it but you could always ask. It will probably jack up your premiums.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
how do you suggest i go about that ALD0? I'm a little confused to what you mean.
As has been mentioned the power steering pump is a well known failure on early MINI's, including sometimes burning out the wiring. Even out of warranty and at your mileage you should at least get a "Goodwill" payment towards the cost of parts if you follow "Neurobeakers" instructions for asking your dealer to contact MINI UK first...............Everything you need to know is in this thread link below (last few pages). Good Luck. :)
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-f...ering-pump-failure-please-vote-yes-no-29.html

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
from what they told me, the power steering pump has a fuse connected to it... which burnt out and through some wiring. Wouldn't that be classed as a fire?
Ask them to contact MINI Uk and ask why there hasnt been a recall for a known problem which has caused many MINI fires. Usually they will give free parts I believe and you just have to pay the labour.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I believe a few people off here who have also had the known Steering clunk problem have had Labour halved or free in some cases, worth a try :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
why dont you buy a 2nd hand power steering pump off ebay £150 (i have just seen one) and get a good garage to fit it you should pay no more than £150 labour!! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello all,
i just had the same problem with my 02 cooper s with 51k on the clock :frown:. everything went dead, but when I tried to jump it, the alarm went off and I cant turn on the ignition:confused: how can I shut it off?? I need to get it to a garage. Its all started with the blowing sound and air coming out from the the hood... is it the steering pump as well? please help.
thanks in advance...cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
No power and bad electric burning smell

I just had a similar incident with my '05 Cooper S (52,000 miles). I had previously noted a fan like noise but assumed it was an electric cooling gas and that it would turn off by itself. I never came back to the car and had it still running.

Last night I went to lock the car and discovered that burning smell and the battery was completely dead. I went to jump start the car and as soon as I connected the other car's battery the pump came on and I was able to start the car. After letting it run for 15 inured to get a charge on the battery I went to turn off the car. Turned the key off, took it out of the ignition and THE CAR WAS STILL RUNNING. I had to remove the engine fuse to turn it off. The pump continued to run even with the battery disconnected.

Looks like my electrical system got borked in the process of all this going on. It's at the dealer now and Mini USA told me that they need a diagnosis of the problem before they can tell me if there is any repair assistance for this obvious defect. I'm not holding my breath but we'll see where it goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts