MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's a 2007 Cooper - not S or JCW - N12 engine, euro-spec.

Drove it home from work on Friday night.
Took the wheels off it over the weekend, to have new tyres fitted.
Came to start it up on Tuesday morning and it cranks but there's no start.

It coughed and spluttered at first but then, after a couple of attempted starts, there's no sign of life from the engine.

Currently investigating the fuel system.
The fuel pump IS running, and seems to be delivering a good supply of fuel, but I still need to check the pressure.
I wanted to remove the pump from the tank to check it and, unfortunately, I had to cut the fuel line to accomplish that so I need to replace the fuel line before I can rebuild it all and check the pressure.

In the mean-time, does anybody have any suggestions for what else might be causing the non-start?

I've checked for +12v on the input to each coil-pack and that's good.
I've stuck an old spark plug in each plug lead to confirm it's generating a spark.
The tacho needle IS moving when I crank the engine - which, allegedly, means the CPS is good.

I haven't yet checked the compression of each cylinder.
I'll do that as soon as I can find my 14mm plug-socket.

Are there any other common faults which might prevent the engine from starting?
Camshaft sensors? VANOS? ECU faults? Immobiliser?

I figure it's probably not a "mechanical" problem (damaged plug, piston rings, dodgy coil-pack, blocked injector etc) because it'd be incredibly unlikely that'd affect ALL the cylinders at the same time.
Seems far more likely the fault is either a sensor, some kind of electrical fault, fuel pressure or, possibly, that the timing chain has slipped.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
need to scan it with a good scan tool cheapest good level that will and i have one that does work with it all is autocom cdp plus as per link below, this will give you access to all hidden P-codes dealer only also will read body control module and CAS ecu ewls ie this controls the anti theft part of car prevents it from cranking and starting etc,

·
Registered
8 Posts
it's a 2007 Cooper - not S or JCW - N12 engine, euro-spec.

Drove it home from work on Friday night.
Took the wheels off it over the weekend, to have new tyres fitted.
Came to start it up on Tuesday morning and it cranks but there's no start.

It coughed and spluttered at first but then, after a couple of attempted starts, there's no sign of life from the engine.

Currently investigating the fuel system.
The fuel pump IS running, and seems to be delivering a good supply of fuel, but I still need to check the pressure.
I wanted to remove the pump from the tank to check it and, unfortunately, I had to cut the fuel line to accomplish that so I need to replace the fuel line before I can rebuild it all and check the pressure.

In the mean-time, does anybody have any suggestions for what else might be causing the non-start?

I've checked for +12v on the input to each coil-pack and that's good.
I've stuck an old spark plug in each plug lead to confirm it's generating a spark.
The tacho needle IS moving when I crank the engine - which, allegedly, means the CPS is good.

I haven't yet checked the compression of each cylinder.
I'll do that as soon as I can find my 14mm plug-socket.

Are there any other common faults which might prevent the engine from starting?
Camshaft sensors? VANOS? ECU faults? Immobiliser?

I figure it's probably not a "mechanical" problem (damaged plug, piston rings, dodgy coil-pack, blocked injector etc) because it'd be incredibly unlikely that'd affect ALL the cylinders at the same time.
Seems far more likely the fault is either a sensor, some kind of electrical fault, fuel pressure or, possibly, that the timing chain has slipped.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
There are four engineers traveling in a car; a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, an electrical engineer and a computer engineer. The car breaks down.

"Sounds to me as if the pistons have seized. We'll have to strip down the engine before we can get the car working again", says the mechanical engineer.

"Well", says the chemical engineer, "it sounded to me as if the fuel might be contaminated. I think we should clear out the fuel system."

"I thought it might be an grounding problem", says the electrical engineer, "or maybe a faulty plug lead."

They all turn to the computer engineer who has said nothing and say: "Well, what do you think?" "Ummm perhaps if we close all the Windows and open them again.?"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts