MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to this forum, i didnt know that mini's where so popular. lol
basically i turned 17 last july 27th and i got a new mini one. i think it has the chilli pack on it im not sure it has air con and all that shiz.
i want to start makeing it look a bit better as it is a bit boring at the moment. however i don't want to put body kits on it or anything as i think it will make it harder to sell on? here are some pictures of it:
(the light is bad, its dirty and has just rained and it looks really pale for some reason :S it is really bright red in real life)

okay i dont know how to put the pics here but i have attatched them lol so hope that works somehow.
im just looking for peoples opinions on what i should do to it to make it look better? im also interested in improving the performance as long as it doesnt ruin the car in anyway and won't completly ruin my already stupidly expensive insurance.

also was just wondering people thoughts on the following. i found a very nice 05 cooper s on autotrader so as you do you check out an insurance quote, but i lied by saying i was a month older than i am so it thought i was 18. the insurance was a good price for it and only about £100-200 more than it would be on my mini one. of course i want the faster car, but my parents are telling me financially this is a very bad idea as i will lose alot of money on my current mini. the cooper s was £10500 and only 19000 miles. what would you guys do?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
This should be in the 2nd generation One forum. Sorry. But welcome to MINI2! You've come to the right place!

I think its very nice! Its a very nicely specced One as its got chrome and a nice exhaust. I think finishing touches would be nice like new side repeaters maybe union jack ones or something maybe bigger wheels but this will put your insurance up a bit.

As a One owner and eventual S owner after I turned 25 I would advise not to get a S yet as the insurance will be very silly. I think you're paying too much on your one if you are only paying slightly more than an S.

This little car will be very much more affordable than the R53 S as the tax will be £210 a year compared to your One which is around £160 and the R53 S tax is due to go up to £300? The petrol really does disappear doing around 30mpg to your 45mpg? and then the insurance costs. We've only just bought our first S as our only car and only drive it at the weekends as its just too expensive to run at the mo.

Good luck with your decisions. I would dress this one up a little for a while as your MINI will suffer from depreciation if you sell it early then if the power is holding you back look into the S when you're a little older?

Just my Opinion x

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean 2nd generation mini?isn't mine the same as the ones in the posts on here? :S lol sorry im new to this mini thing lol.

yeah i need to get some different side indicator things definately. yeah your probably right i should just save my money for now and get an S when im older, you should put some pictures of your S up i saw the ones of your black ONE its really nice!

does anyone know the best sort of sites for getting things like side repeators and i want to get the bit that stops the dimmed lights being so orangey, i saw someone else's post had done them. just little things like those?

and also what are people's opinions on putting body kits on? i think it looks really good personally but im worried that it will depreciate the car and appeal to less people?

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggestions for mini ONE

hi,
i posted a thread in the wrong Mini ONE bit earlier.
basically i want to do several things, these are:

get clear side indicators,

get back widows tinted because i thought i chose this as an option when i bought it but i just relised that i didnt lol.

sort out the yellow glow that the side lights and main lights give, i want it to be more of a white/blue led effect if that is possible?

just wondering where would be cheapest to find all these things and get the tinted windows done and also approximate costS? i honestly don't have a clue lol.

overtime i want to get the aero kit for my mini and also i saw on someones silver mini they had red reflector kind of things on the wheel arches? i really want them but it white or black. aswell as getting some big ass black rims for it to sit on and paint my calipers red. i also want to improve the performance i will start with the blue fin plug and go as i dont feel this will effect my insurance to bad (only 17 nearly 18) and then ill go from there.

does anybody have any suggestions that they think are a MUST for a mini ONE?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi there welcome from all us mini oners. I am too seveteen and have a red mini one lol.
Neway the lights are really easy and cheap to sort out I would go to newministuff.com if I were you. The aerokit should set you back about £800 I would say (i got mine from the stealers and they ripped me off, £1100!!!)
I would also recommend a new spoiler, an s spoiler is next on my list anyway
But the performance upgrades are what I'm finding really hard as it seems bearly neone is doing them, the only things I have found is the sprint booster (throttle remap thing) and the K&N induction kit (but then you run the risk of sounding like a chav lol), but bluefin don't do anything for the r56 and I emailed them and it doesn't sound like its coming anytime soon it seems no one is bothered with the one now its a different engine to the cooper :(

Hope some of this helps, rochie

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't change anything but the white indicator lenses. I think your Mini's fine the way it is personally. Congrats though!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
what do you mean 2nd generation mini?isn't mine the same as the ones in the posts on here? :S lol sorry im new to this mini thing lol.

yeah i need to get some different side indicator things definately. yeah your probably right i should just save my money for now and get an S when im older, you should put some pictures of your S up i saw the ones of your black ONE its really nice!

does anyone know the best sort of sites for getting things like side repeators and i want to get the bit that stops the dimmed lights being so orangey, i saw someone else's post had done them. just little things like those?

and also what are people's opinions on putting body kits on? i think it looks really good personally but im worried that it will depreciate the car and appeal to less people?

cheers

Hey don't worry its confusing if your a first or second gen (its sorted now though)

http://www.mini2.com/forum/uk-irela...mantrack-give-away-25-2-08-a.html#post3325812

Heres some pics of my S. I love her she is brilliant! Thanks for your comments on my Black one I loved that car and he was my little project. He was pretty basic when I bought him but put a full S body kit on him, aero spoiler and 17" alloys and I was very proud of him.

I don't think that body kits make the car less desirable. Mine stuck out from the crowd and our buyer wanted mine in particular. MINIs are all about personalising in my opinion.

You can buy more white light bulbs from Newministuff.com they are brilliant and sponsors of this website. You can get more nicer chrome side repeaters from MINI but ebay is normally my first choice for MINI modding.

Go ahead and ask all your questions on here or the search option in the corner is very useful to find others who have done things your thinking of before. This site is practically the bible of MINI modding!

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of different stages of the modding!

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Hiya, i would certainly go for the white indicator lenses/bulbs. I would also consider the wheels first as i think they make the biggest difference to the car along with the areo kit, but i dont like the areo kit with smaller wheels (just My opinion of course :) ).

To be honest i wouldnt modify the engine or intake as its a new car and this will invalidate the (in my experience) excellent BMW warranty. Again all my opinion, but there ya go :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mods

Had my rear windows tinted by Pentagon for £135 and it looks amazing now and despite a few days for the tint to settle where it looked a bit iffy and I was worried, it now looks virtually standard, apart from you can see the micro dots around the edge which dont apparantly show if you have factory dark glass. Still looks the business though.

Have white lenses and chrome side vents also, from MINI.

On a silver car that is a very subtle but cool look, I just need decent wheels now.

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Dont forget to tell your insurace company about the mods.

Most companys including MINI Insurance say you need to be over 25 to insure a non standard car (direct line too). This is also the case for name drivers on the policy. Tesco will alow younger drivers but ramp up the price.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
I think the trick with modding for us 17 year olds with our Mini's is, like rochie said, not to make them chavvy. Which is one reason I would say to leave the engine/performance standard, insurance being the second reason, and warranty the third. Bigger wheels is a must have, but I think 17's are big enough, 18's start to cost more and don't look that much bigger. As for the Aero kit, it completely remasters the look of the Mini, and it makes the car look a lot better then it does. Just take a look at mine or Rochie's. I'd also get some body colored mirror caps, and tinting would look great. As for painted calipers, it's hit and miss, some people have bought DIY kits and its perfect, others have been far from satisfied. And putting LEDS in the driving lights is possibly but it comes up with a warning message as the bulbs work at a lower voltage then the standard ones and therefore the car thinks the bulb is blown due to less resistance. Hope this helps, and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Speaking from experience from owning a 1st gen mini cooper when I was 21, I would definately have to agree that a jcw body kit and larger alloys would enhance your already beautiful mini. Regarding performance upgrade I would probably save up that cash....as I don't think it will noticbly improve performance and also you have your mini warrenty, tlc etc.

I now own a 225 bhp mini cooper s jcw at age 23 and insurance is still a killer even with over 6 years driving and 4 years no claims.. I agree with Laura that you have to think about running costs. I get 27 mpg from it, each tyre is £150+ road tax £210 a year as the R53 is in the second highest emission category, insurance premium etc. Also one thing to think about is driver experience as even the standard cooper S can get you in to serious trouble, especially in the wet.

Good luck with the modding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts