MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you thanked your MINI lately? Well, I sure had occasion to a coupla nites ago - my MINI, Brooksie, saved my butt. Not while I was running the twisties, not being stupid and street racing, just driving along minding my own business when chance throws you curve, and you live to tell about it. Just thought there might be a few stories out there like this little wake-up call that happened to me recently:

I was driving home late last Saturday night, it was clear, no fog, and the backroad to my house was left to me and one other car. He was in the left lane ahead of me by about a hundred feet, and although we were both travelling at the speed limit, it was a 50 mph suburban parkway, so it wasn't exactly slow. It's a popular street race spot, so I make a point of watching my speed - the peelers are known to frequent the area in force. We had reached a stretch of the road between developments that had no street lights or traffic signals for while, going around a right-hand sweeper with a slight rise, so naturally I took the right, inside lane, when about half-way through the turn the car ahead of me braked hard - I could just see his lights around the uphill bend.

You know that feeling you get, when something is about to happen, and you can see things with utter clarity? It happened RIGHT THEN. I let off the gas a little on instinct, and as I approached the apex, there it was - someone just seconds before us had gone over the inside curb after losing control, knocked a fire hydrant clean off, and the car was dead in the water, LITERALLY, right in my lane! Water was gushing up about 20 ft high, cascading back on the road, flooding everything, and even tho it was pitch black, I could see everything SO bright. I hit the water fast, and it just blasted muddy water right over my car - my first thought was, D**n, there it goes right into the intake! I was just straight enough to tap the brakes a tad to get down to a safe speed to manouver, and boy howdy, I'm glad I did. The wreck was right in front of me, my headlites just starting to reflect before impact - I had the wipers going instantaneously 'cause I couldn't see a darn thing, I downshifted, steered left, and missed his steaming hulk by inches. Whew! Not so fast, pal, what's THAT IN THE ROAD NOW?? The spinning front bumper of his car was torn off and lying in the other lane!!! - obviously grazed by the car ahead of me, so now I had to whip over to the right, in the water, still!!, just missing that chunk by hair, and now I'm well in the clear. WHEW!!

I'm sure had I been in one of my other non-MINI cars, I'd have t-boned that poor guy, or lost it in the wet at least, for sure. Brooksie went thru without a qualm, never missed a beat, and stuck to the road like super-glue, in appalling conditions that would've meant doom for a lot of other cars I've driven. I thanked her right then and there, and no car deserved it more. I slowed down carefully and stopped, whipped out my cel-phone and called 911, only to be told two SDPD units were on the way, and I could just hear 'em coming up the hill, with lights and sirens. Hope the folks in the crash ended up OK - the cops told me thanks for stopping, but you can go on home. Luckily, the water was mostly falling down, ;-) and I didn't get any up the intake, thank God. Brooksie was awful dirty the next day, and as I'm not usually one to ride her hard and put her away wet, I treated her to a wash right after work. Some cars'll kill ya, and some'll save ya, so I'm glad Brooksie is one of the latter.

Remember to thank your MINI now and then, is my advice.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

·
Mini Fan
31 Posts
Nice driving in the Mini! However, I read this wrong and thought that a person was dead in the water. Like, end of life. Whew. Glad that wasn't the case! I thought your story was a bit too upbeat for a death being in it, I was concerned for your sanity!! haha

Glad to hear you're all right and your MINI saved you :)

·
Gutter Princess
3,464 Posts
My mini saved my life 2 months ago when my world fell apart. She made me have fun and realise that there is more to life... and we go EVERYWHERE together.. I thank her everyday. Sorry it's a bit of a soppy emotional one, but entirely true! :)

·
Cooper boy!
243 Posts
yea top driving in the mini, yet another adventure (if I can call it that!) glad u and mini were ok, and hopefully the people in the other cars were ok too, all the best,

Ian

·
I Just Can't Get Enough
49,320 Posts
Similar incident a few months ago when a few of us were heading for Ireland, we were driving along the motorway (myself leading the convoy of 6-7 cars) raining and dark (no lighting on the road), we were doing 70 mph (legal speed limit) i see a car with its hazards on on the hard shoulder so i move into lane 2 so as to give them a tad more space (very few cars on the road) all of a sudden i see a car nose into the armco in the middle of the lane i'm in, quickly managed to change into lane 1 and alert the other to the accident..........all of whom missed the stricken car.............albeit it turned out one had gained a puncture, only noticed a day later.

The MINI's directional change in the wet is great, gets you out of all orts of trouble at times, i was thankful for it that day :D

·
Mini Fan
31 Posts
Intrepidmini said:
My mini saved my life 2 months ago when my world fell apart. She made me have fun and realise that there is more to life... and we go EVERYWHERE together.. I thank her everyday. Sorry it's a bit of a soppy emotional one, but entirely true! :)
Whatever works! It's just good that you have realized that there is good stuff going on in life that is hard to see sometimes! I'm happy your MINI has made you see that :)

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Intrepidmini said:
That's the ticket! A MINI can be a life saver in the metaphorical sense as well. ;-)

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EBMCS03 said:
WOW... nice story! Where in SD hills was this?
In the Sorrento Valley area, amongst the business parks. Late at nite it seems pretty deserted, but you never know when fate strikes. I gather the the wrecked car was going in the opposite direction downhill and crossed the median - I'm sure glad I wasn't there just a little earlier!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trina said:
Glad to hear that you and your MINI are both okay!
Thanks! You know, the downshift in CVT was really what made the manouvering easy - I was able to use the gas pedal at the right revs to scoot past that bumper - I don't think a conventional auto would have held the gear so perfectly. Just slapped it and gunned it, with my feet still on the pedals, that's what I like.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
Vanwall
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing