MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's here! =D
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 100th post on MINI 2, and it is the one I've been desperate to write...! :D

After ordering on 14/3 I endured the long wait which finally ended on Friday when I took delivery of my car. Made a day of it and my girlfriend (Carly) and good mate Ian came with me to mark the occasion (Ian drove there in his EB/W JCW MCS).

Car looked fantastic sat out the front as we pulled up (pic attached). Unfortunately there is a waiting list for the aero kit skirts so they weren't on the car, more piccies to come when I get those fitted. However there was a nice bottle of champers sat on the passenger seat!

I have spent so much time reading on here that when the manager started explaining the controls to me during the handover I started telling him how they worked, suddenly decided this wasn't the best idea so I shut up and let him do his thing! :p :D

Once I had got my mitts on the car, first things first, Ian knew where the local Shell garage was so it was off to there for the first drink of Optimax... My credit card wondered what on earth was going on considering previously filling up my classic Mini was generally < £10! :eek:

Next thing was a jaunt down to Brighton via a nice set of twisties that Ian knew, was a great drive with the car gagging to be taken over the run in limit, but I have been a good boy and will continue to do so (no really!) Bowl of chips and a coke on the seafront before heading back in the absolutely glorious weather which was perfect for my first drive in the car (also showed off the climate control rather nicely :cool: )

Soooo, how is the car?

Absolutely fantastic....! Everything I expected and more! The whole driving experience is brilliant from the rorty exhaust booming, popping and crackling away to the accurate responsive steering and great acceleration. The car looks amazing from the outside (every time I catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye I begin grinning). Interior is great, really like the anthracite headliner. Climate control is great and I'm more than happy with the Harmon Kardon, does the job from where I'm sitting.

Here's to getting the run in period past and enjoying the top end of what this great car has to offer! :D

Thanks to you lot for the info and banter over the past few months which has helped me pass the time and answer some of my questions.

A very special thanks to Carly and Ian for coming along and sharing in the fun, it was a top day! :D :D :D

More pics to follow soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, my first ride in a new '05' cooper S... I can happily say that the sound from the rear seats is well worth the slightly bumpier ride, quite a rorty wee beastie.

Looked absolutely stunning in every way possible and had a ton of pep even staying within the running in limits :D.

Ian

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
So jealous!!!

So jealous!!! Only just ordered my MCS (have an 03 MC CR/W at moment) and still unsure on colour for MCS, loving your DS but am currently orrdering HB - what to do! Glad you are enjoying, just looking forward to getting mine, even if I am having to wiat til next year!!! I know it will be worth it! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lovely car - congrats.

BTW, Let's see some more pics.

·
Cloud 9
468 Posts
Congrats:D

I remember meeting you at the JCC Castle Comber race meeting, you were asking questions on the various options on MCS:rolleyes:

Hope to see you in future mini events:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crow said:
My 100th post on MINI 2, and it is the one I've been desperate to write...! :D

...good mate Ian came with me to mark the occasion (Ian drove there in his EB/W JCW MCS).
Very Nice....a bit like mine that I picked up on Saturday! (Still to take pics!)

Thought everyone was ordering HB, but glad to see that some people are sticking with DS!! ;)

New version feels swifter due to revised gear ratios, but would be interested to hear how performance compares with your mates' JCW once run in.... ;)

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
Nice one. Looks just like mine :) Tax disc holder looks cool too ;)

·
Simon
73 Posts
Looks Great

Enjoy Matey !

Have had mine 2 weeks now and clocked up 1250 miles.

The only bit of advice I will give you is this.

I have tried to keep to the guidelines of the break in period and have been a good boy.

However at about 800 miles I noticed that the engine was getting slightly jumpy when pulling off and also the idle revs would drop a little at a stand still. So I rang the dealer out of slight concern. I spoke to the tech guy who said that the engine now needed to be opened up more and recomended I give it a blast out. He said that realisticly the engine only needs 500 miles to break in and from then on do controlled bursts of exceleration but not red line it, or leave it in high revs for a long period of time.

So I have and what a difference ! The jumpy starts have gone and the engine is opening up nicely. I have been putting my foot down and taking it up to 6000 revs. But only doing this occasionaly. The tech guy at the dealer said that by about 2k miles the engine should have opened up . Even I have noticed this after 450 miles. I have also noticed that the fuel consumption had improved.

What the tech man said was that in order to keep the engine working at its best the engine needs to be used properly. After all this is an engine designed to be pushed up to the red line in order for the supercharger, injectors etc to work to their optimal.

Have fun !

And before I have the usual Mini2 sceptics placing a sarcastic comment, read below !!!

Please note that each dealer will have different advice to give. The advice I was given has worked for me. Based on my experience in this matter.

I have not run my car in on the advice listed in the Mini handbook.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Excellent color choice. Mine is on the boat, supposed to dock in South Carolina tomorrow! Should be at the dealer by the 19th. Should be wrapped around me on the 20th!
Enjoy!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
18 Participants
Hammer
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing