MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its not mine and I had to give it back *sigh* …but my god what a car!!! :eek:

This morning I was looking at getting the JCW Stage 1 Tuning Kit for my car, but this afternoon, after having driven the new John Cooper Works MINI, I think I’ve decided against it (still thinking about the exhaust but that’s it) and will be putting the money towards a new John Cooper Works as soon as is sensibly possible (we’ve worked out 18 months onwards is probably going to be the best time), so bang goes the idea of keeping this baby a little longer :eek: Although saying that, it was also discussed that something else might come along in the meantime (facelift maybe, or the new convertible etc) and I would probably want one of those then :p It generally happens every time a new MINI is released :eek:

This car, to me, was nothing short of awesome! This is the first Work’s tuned MINI I have ever driven and I loved every second, really didn’t want to give it back!!!! :D

Had to laugh this morning when I was told who borrowed it yesterday - another MINI2er :D (Tobes :p)

The car is Pepper White / Black, Punch Leather Rear Seats, JCW Alcantara/Leather Sports Seats (£2499), Sports Suspension, MFSW, Chrome Line Interior, CHILI Pack, JCW Strut Brace (£299), JCW Carbon Bonnet Scoop (£249), JCW Carbon Handbrake Grip (£149) and JCW Side Scuttles (£99).

Managed to do 105 miles in the 5 hours I had the car :D and don’t ask me how but I made the mpg go up, then accidentally reset it - doh!

Im not sure if it was the strut brace, the sports suspension, or the whole set up of the car combined, but it handled so well, much better than mine, and it felt so much tighter in bends etc. Not sure if the lack of dash rattle was down to the strut brace too, but either way it was great!

Another reason I loved this little beast so much was the fact it has no Stop/Start system :cool:

You really don’t need to drive the JCW with the sport button on, but for the way it changes the steering I prefer it. It has so much get up and go its unreal, and the noise from that exhaust :D Its really deep and sporty and I have to admit, im a sucker for the exhaust noise :p it seems to burble away so much more than mine, and pops more (and louder) than std. Its brilliant! :D I still say the exhaust would look better with the JCW logo on :eek: but maybe that’s just me :p

The brakes seemed a lot sharper as well, which is obviously a good thing with so much power flying about!! And behind those stunning 17” JCW Cross Spoke Challenge Wheels they look good too. Don’t get me started on the wheels, :eek: I love my Webspokes, but I love these more :cool:

Im still not convinced totally by the sports suspension, sometimes I think its far too hard, but then I think maybe its better for a car like the JCW, although it can be a bit skittish at times. Maybe its coz every MINI ive owned (including my S) has had standard suspension :puzzled:

Overall I had the most fantastic time driving this MINI, its quick, it sounds fab, looks great, it seems to have it all! Built to the same spec as my current S, I’d be looking at about 25k (not that ive specced one you understand :eek:) which is a lot BUT I think its worth every penny! I’d have one tomorrow if I could :p

Naturally I took some pics of the car :eek: (I think I have a pic of every MINI ive ever borrowed or had as a loan car, its become tradition :p)

If youve not driven one yet, why not! Its a dangerous game, and will probably cost you a lot of money but hey, all in the name of good fun!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Drove one myself this morning Jo while my car was in garage and have to totally echo what you say, a truly stunning car!!

One in the spec i'd like is £28k tho :(

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
I was toying with the idea of getting one just like that....:cool:

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
it was also discussed that something else might come along in the meantime (facelift maybe, or the new convertible etc) and I would probably want one of those then :p
Start saving and be prepared to kill two birds with one stone; when they formally announce the new convertible, I'd bet on there being a Works version of it available. :D

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drove one myself this morning Jo while my car was in garage and have to totally echo what you say, a truly stunning car!!

One in the spec i'd like is £28k tho :(
Blimey! What were you putting on the spec :eek: :p

I was toying with the idea of getting one just like that....:cool:
Do it :D :p The only thing I wasnt really keen on were the Recaros, but thats probably coz im a short arse and my legs wernt really long enough for the seats :eek:

Start saving and be prepared to kill two birds with one stone; when they formally announce the new convertible, I'd bet on there being a Works version of it available. :D
Oh god dont :p I even asked if they would be doing Hot Choc on the new drop top :eek: But no, I dont think I want one of those.....well, not yet :p got to be a JCW Hatch methinks :nice:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yep .Left some 98 fuel in it for you Glad you enjoyed it!

Had it on Friday Second time I'vedriven it ......first it felt tight at 600 miles but on friday with 1200 miles on the clock it felt alot faster this time (Seats had been lowered - first time it felt like you were driving an MPV )!

will i change mine for one - probably one day but not yet!

Great brakes and exhaust nosier (+) than my stage 1 kit . Ive you have a R56 s I would recommend getting the upgrade stage 1 kit rather than trading unless you have money to burn.

However if you are thinking of an R56 S for the first time with some options you SHOULD go for the factory works and live without the toys!

For me best bit about it was the brakes!

Tobes

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had it on Friday Second time I'vedriven it ......first it felt tight at 600 miles but on friday with 1200 miles on the clock it felt alot faster this time (Seats had been lowered - first time it felt like you were driving an MPV )!
It had 1400 when I took it back :D It felt amazing at so few miles, so to think what it must be like when its nicely loosened up!

The drivers seat was on the low setting, which was just about ok for me, the passengers was on the high setting and it was to high! Just 2 height settings seems a little off to me :p

Great brakes and exhaust nosier (+) than my stage 1 kit . Ive you have a R56 s I would recommend getting the upgrade stage 1 kit rather than trading unless you have money to burn.

However if you are thinking of an R56 S for the first time with some options you SHOULD go for the factory works and live without the toys!?
I think i'd still like to drive a Stage 1 Cooper S, just to see the difference, although, just like I did with the Cooper and Cooper D ive probably just driven them in the wrong order :p I cant forget that car and saw one on my way into town earlier, if only.....

The way im looking at it now, is that i'd rather keep the money for the tuning kit back and spend it on the new car, rather than lose it on trade in. I think there is some Jo logic in there somewhere :D But for the time being, im happy with Flo :D

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Yep .Left some 98 fuel in it for you Glad you enjoyed it!

will i change mine for one - probably one day but not yet!

However if you are thinking of an R56 S for the first time with some options you SHOULD go for the factory works and live without the toys!

For me best bit about it was the brakes!

Tobes
Agreed after driving it myself a few weeks back ,for a few hours, the exhaust is noiser than standard, but my Milteck is louder still than the JCW i think :) One thing the car gave me an idea how quick mine can be after the re map is done, it will be quicker :D

If your going to buy an S then as said dont bother with toys and go for the JCW Factory..

Its alot of money to trade in a norm

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Ok so its not mine and I had to give it back *sigh* …but my god what a car!!! :eek:

This morning I was looking at getting the JCW Stage 1 Tuning Kit for my car, but this afternoon, after having driven the new John Cooper Works MINI, I think I’ve decided against it (still thinking about the exhaust but that’s it) and will be putting the money towards a new John Cooper Works as soon as is sensibly possible (we’ve worked out 18 months onwards is probably going to be the best time), so bang goes the idea of keeping this baby a little longer :eek: Although saying that, it was also discussed that something else might come along in the meantime (facelift maybe, or the new convertible etc) and I would probably want one of those then :p It generally happens every time a new MINI is released :eek:

This car, to me, was nothing short of awesome! This is the first Work’s tuned MINI I have ever driven and I loved every second, really didn’t want to give it back!!!! :D

Had to laugh this morning when I was told who borrowed it yesterday - another MINI2er :D (Tobes :p)

The car is Pepper White / Black, Punch Leather Rear Seats, JCW Alcantara/Leather Sports Seats (£2499), Sports Suspension, MFSW, Chrome Line Interior, CHILI Pack, JCW Strut Brace (£299), JCW Carbon Bonnet Scoop (£249), JCW Carbon Handbrake Grip (£149) and JCW Side Scuttles (£99).

Managed to do 105 miles in the 5 hours I had the car :D and don’t ask me how but I made the mpg go up, then accidentally reset it - doh!

Im not sure if it was the strut brace, the sports suspension, or the whole set up of the car combined, but it handled so well, much better than mine, and it felt so much tighter in bends etc. Not sure if the lack of dash rattle was down to the strut brace too, but either way it was great!

Another reason I loved this little beast so much was the fact it has no Stop/Start system :cool:

You really don’t need to drive the JCW with the sport button on, but for the way it changes the steering I prefer it. It has so much get up and go its unreal, and the noise from that exhaust :D Its really deep and sporty and I have to admit, im a sucker for the exhaust noise :p it seems to burble away so much more than mine, and pops more (and louder) than std. Its brilliant! :D I still say the exhaust would look better with the JCW logo on :eek: but maybe that’s just me :p

The brakes seemed a lot sharper as well, which is obviously a good thing with so much power flying about!! And behind those stunning 17” JCW Cross Spoke Challenge Wheels they look good too. Don’t get me started on the wheels, :eek: I love my Webspokes, but I love these more :cool:

Im still not convinced totally by the sports suspension, sometimes I think its far too hard, but then I think maybe its better for a car like the JCW, although it can be a bit skittish at times. Maybe its coz every MINI ive owned (including my S) has had standard suspension :puzzled:

Overall I had the most fantastic time driving this MINI, its quick, it sounds fab, looks great, it seems to have it all! Built to the same spec as my current S, I’d be looking at about 25k (not that ive specced one you understand :eek:) which is a lot BUT I think its worth every penny! I’d have one tomorrow if I could :p

Naturally I took some pics of the car :eek: (I think I have a pic of every MINI ive ever borrowed or had as a loan car, its become tradition :p)

If youve not driven one yet, why not! Its a dangerous game, and will probably cost you a lot of money but hey, all in the name of good fun!

Hey Jo

Good review you mentioned all the points that made me change my 57 Plate S JCW for one of these. Altough mine does not have the JCW suspension it sticks like muck to a blanket and is even more fun to drive than my S was (if you can believe that) I think the electronic LSD makes a very big difference.

WD

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Jo

Good review you mentioned all the points that made me change my 57 Plate S JCW for one of these. Altough mine does not have the JCW suspension it sticks like muck to a blanket and is even more fun to drive than my S was (if you can believe that) I think the electronic LSD makes a very big difference.

WD
I can believe it was more fun, I cant get over the way that thing handled! :cool:

Did i :D Unfortunatley its now sold.. i did phone it up today.
Yep :p *goes to look out of the window* :hmph: Are you getting it delivered on a truck with a Bow on top? :p

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Yep :p *goes to look out of the window* :hmph: Are you getting it delivered on a truck with a Bow on top? :p[/QUOTE]
Maybe you went to buy it, after i showed u the advert last night :D Sorry no transporter will be arriving with it :(

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Atually, I think people are slightly crackers to consider trading in an S that's less than 12 months old for a Works. Because good as the Works is, that's a lot of money to lose, and next year is the 50th anniversary of the MINI. Now a special edition is nothing more than a rumour at the moment, and it could turn out to be as rubbish as the Mini 35, but it'd make more sense to have a 2009 GP-style car as the 50th anniversary model. I know that if I could wait another 12 months for a new car, I'd be hanging on to see what a "50" might be like.

As I can't wait, I have a Works on order for early '09. Probably.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts