MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had it 24 hr's

My only concern before purchase was that three of the tyre’s looks like they had done the 1.4K miles on the clock and looked almost new, but the fourth front nearside looked far from new but as its been checked today, road legal and even with a cut in the rim protector on the tyre still would not fail an M.O.T. :frown:

Anyway after spending time today studying the car I noticed this Rouge Wheel was more and more different from the wheel Balancing weights, non silver pressure cap (Black) and the fact the paint on the Alloy is very poor :aargh: with no flake and obviously an older recondition wheel that has over spray all over it and was done to a very poor standard as inspected by an engineer from another Dealer. It looks obviously like My Mini has gained an older wheel for some reason with a lot more miles on it but more alarmingly in this poor reconditioned state. This in my mind is never the original Wheel.

This has soured my whole Mini experience a little, I know it’s not a disaster but to me paying more or less Cash it’s a lot of money to be unhappy about something. The wear on the tyre I was happy to live with as I had noticed it and raised my concern about it but to now notice three Wheels look fresh and fantastic and the fourth in very poor condition has annoyed me a fair bit.

I sent an e-mail to the dealer and will phone them either Saturday or Monday.

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
probably one of the mechanics has swopped it for his/her wheel.

common practice, and they do it with four cars over a few months and gain a new set of tyres/wheels as needed.

unlike you not everyone notices, and when they do they think they must have missed it when looking at the car initially, so don't bother to complain.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
probably one of the mechanics has swopped it for his/her wheel.

common practice, and they do it with four cars over a few months and gain a new set of tyres/wheels as needed.

unlike you not everyone notices, and when they do they think they must have missed it when looking at the car initially, so don't bother to complain.
hardly...

"Common practice"...... Where?!?!?! None of our technicians drive MINI's!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s what I believe is the case, but why should I fork out for what is a prat swapping my good wheel for a crummy reconditioned one to save himself money.

Worst thing was I did not want them to wash the car and they did only do the inside and just as well as when I went to pick the car up it was still getting ready so someone trying to wash it as fast as they can I could do without. Its only yesterday when I started thinking about washing it myself that this wheel started to stand out.

I sent an e-mail and I’ll phone on Monday.

Priced a new Alloy and tyre for £198 but that’s me just going into my local Mini dealer as a punter so I Imagine that at cost they could probably do it for £100. Which would even be an option? I should have had alarm bells ringing when the three tyres looked almost new and this one was well used……
Still it’s taken the shine off the Whole Mini cherished thing

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New alloy and tyre, so very pleased and well wirth the 31 miles trip back to the dealers. They just swapped my one for one off a 08 Clubman…..

Only thing is they forgot to re-set the tyre pressure monitor and I got the warning on the way home. I decided I knew what it could be and drove on and read the Manual and re-set it myself.

Now on to cleaning the thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts