MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off I went to Scotthalls ( Eastleigh) to see Justine, she was a really nice person and very helpful. She loved the Scooby and sat in it and played with gadgets

Anyway, on to the test drives My first in any R56 by the way.

Cooper

First impressions, bigger, more of a chunky,robust feel to the car, very solid through the steering wheel, smooth gear changes, easy to get into reverse, comfort seats and driving position.
The stop/start was very scary at first but when you know it will restart, and it does, its not so weird after a few times. I kept doing it because it was a novelty.

Pull away is excellent and it gets up to 60 quickly and smoothly..I was impressed to say the least and it takes a lot in a car to impress me with the amount I've taken out over the past 15 months
Corners just like my old Cooper did, I'm not sure what suspension set up it had as I forgot to ask, but it didn't feel as ridged as my old Cooper or evan the Scooby, so no teeth chattering over bumps, which was nice.
Overall I liked alot and couldn't find fault.

Cooper S

As above first paragraph
But I didn't love it like the Cooper and I'll tell you why cause you lot must be thinking is she mad or blonde or both
Yes its quick off the mark but there is torque steer through the front wheels, and I was fighting the steering until I got used to how it behaved, and its sooooo slow, ... sorry but it is after the Scoob. Foot to the floor 80 and its COME ON...give me power! It has got a turn of speed which feels weird to me for a front wheel drive and if I bought this I would be modding the engine/brakes etc to get more power..so IMHO there's no point in me having one, I have a fast car on the drive that I use. It didn't feel as smooth either, it felt like a dog on a lead waiting to be unleashed for want of a better description.

The Cooper is more of a drivers car, you have to work at it to get power, although not as much as my old Cooper. It just felt alot smoother than the S.

Maybe I need to take both out again at some point, which I will do, soon.

I'm now waiting to see what the new Black will be like and the cream/white upholstery choice that has been launched. Demo's should be out by Sept.

But its a big thumbs up from me and I NEVER thought I'd say that again about MINI

Another bonus was that I could get the buggy in the boot that I use when I look after my nephew on a Monday..I was well impressed because there's no way it would have gone in my old Cooper.

So I've come home laden with brochures...the spec'in is starting LOL

·
Morph-a-Doodle
3,074 Posts
Off I went to Scotthalls ( Eastleigh) to see Justine, she was a really nice person and very helpful. She loved the Scooby and sat in it and played with gadgets

Anyway, on to the test drives My first in any R56 by the way.

Cooper

First impressions, bigger, more of a chunky,robust feel to the car, very solid through the steering wheel, smooth gear changes, easy to get into reverse, comfort seats and driving position.
The stop/start was very scary at first but when you know it will restart, and it does, its not so weird after a few times. I kept doing it because it was a novelty.

Pull away is excellent and it gets up to 60 quickly and smoothly..I was impressed to say the least and it takes a lot in a car to impress me with the amount I've taken out over the past 15 months
Corners just like my old Cooper did, I'm not sure what suspension set up it had as I forgot to ask, but it didn't feel as ridged as my old Cooper or evan the Scooby, so no teeth chattering over bumps, which was nice.
Overall I liked alot and couldn't find fault.

Cooper S

As above first paragraph
But I didn't love it like the Cooper and I'll tell you why cause you lot must be thinking is she mad or blonde or both
Yes its quick off the mark but there is torque steer through the front wheels, and I was fighting the steering until I got used to how it behaved, and its sooooo slow, ... sorry but it is after the Scoob. Foot to the floor 80 and its COME ON...give me power! It has got a turn of speed which feels weird to me for a front wheel drive and if I bought this I would be modding the engine/brakes etc to get more power..so IMHO there's no point in me having one, I have a fast car on the drive that I use. It didn't feel as smooth either, it felt like a dog on a lead waiting to be unleashed for want of a better description.

The Cooper is more of a drivers car, you have to work at it to get power, although not as much as my old Cooper. It just felt alot smoother than the S.

Maybe I need to take both out again at some point, which I will do, soon.

I'm now waiting to see what the new Black will be like and the cream/white upholstery choice that has been launched. Demo's should be out by Sept.

But its a big thumbs up from me and I NEVER thought I'd say that again about MINI

Another bonus was that I could get the buggy in the boot that I use when I look after my nephew on a Monday..I was well impressed because there's no way it would have gone in my old Cooper.

So I've come home laden with brochures...the spec'in is starting LOL
Great write up Tracie, you may want to check out this video that I did a short while ago
R53 Vs R56 John Cooper Works on Vimeo

Rams

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to be honest and say I'm really really tempted to buy a Cooper, the brochures gave me a right headache last night LOL
There's so much now to choose from with spec and accessories, when I spec'd my old Cooper way back in Jan 04 I'm sure there wasn't nearly so much choice as there is now.
I can't evan decided what colour combo atm :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts