MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Four years ago, I was mere days away from picking up my pre-ordered Mini. I lost my job and had to cancel the order, blah blah (there's a post here at Mini2 if you're interested).

Anyhow, I've been working in London ever since, but am increasingly desperate for a Mini. I'm on holiday at the moment in Wales and N England, amazing driving country, and keep passing Minis and wish I had one!

Now, obviously, I'm fairly skint as I live in London. But there's always the possibility of a loan or whatever. So what is the consensus on the new-revision model? It doesn't have quite the same funk as the old one for me, but what's everyone else's thoughts on the engine/interior and so on? Chances are I will only be able to afford a mk1 second hand, which will be just as good, but any thoughts on buying second hand would also be useful.

Anyway. It's been four years since I popped my head in here. In that time, most of you have probably clocked 10k miles and changed Minis twice or more! Hopefully I'll be joining the club in the not-too-distant future,

Will

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Wow - just read through that 2004 thread... that's some perseverance! :D

Good on you for reviving the dream, I look forward to seeing pictures of your MINI when you close the deal! ;)

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
So what is the consensus on the new-revision model? It doesn't have quite the same funk as the old one for me, but what's everyone else's thoughts on the engine/interior and so on? Chances are I will only be able to afford a mk1 second hand, which will be just as good, but any thoughts on buying second hand would also be useful.
Given the choice of the very last brand new R53 (old model) or a brand new R56 (new model) at the same price, I chose the new R53; it wasn't even close in my own personal opinion. I will never change to the current version.

They are now taking a bit of a bashing on 2nd hand values and you can pick up a really nice 2 year old R50 or R53 for very sensible money (for the buyer, anyway :rolleyes:) In its later versions it's generally pretty bomb proof and well sorted, the R53's engine and gearbox seem particularly robust.

Do check the Classifieds on this site, there is really quite a nice one going here:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/general-discussion/161689-what-will-i-get-my-mini-cooper-s.html

It's certainly worth making a sensible offer...

Tigger.

Reactions: *Vikki*

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, in partic Tigger. Good call re the classifieds; I've just found pistonheads.com too which looks good. Some bargains on there, too. Time to work out how I can afford it and how much it's gonna cost to run!

Cheers all

·
Registered
135 Posts
yeah only thing wi the older cooper s is cost to run depending on how many miles u do! and the tax is only gonna go up :(

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Anyway. It's been four years since I popped my head in here. In that time, most of you have probably clocked 10k miles and changed Minis twice or more! Hopefully I'll be joining the club in the not-too-distant future,

Will
Clocked 10k miles! I've clocked getting on for nearly 100k miles! Welcome back! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts