MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mystery openings

Came down this morning -- New Years Day --- to find the car unlocked with both windows open and the sunroof open.
Quel Surprise!!
I dutifuly locked it up again and within seconds it took the p*ss by opening up in front of me.
So I closed it up again this time not locking it and the wee b*st*rd still opened all windows and sunroof .
Got really really angry and disconnected the battery and called mini emerg services who got someone around in an hour ( well done on Jan 1 ), but he just removed the fuses for cent lock,windows and sunroof.
What if this had happened in the pouring rain at night?

The interior of my car would have been ruined.

The car was unlocked so therefore insecure and ins companies don't like you leaving cars unlocked,with all windows open.

I'm going in guns ablaze to the dealer on Jan 3 .

Mike

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Unbelievable:rolleyes:

I hope this isn't a problem waiting to happen on all the Mini's. I find the fact that BMW were unable to come up with a solution rather worrying.

LMB:D

·
AKA Puff The Magic Wagon!
48 Posts
Flat Battery - Security Issue???

Went away for Xmas & left MINXD locked in the garage.

Came back after 7 days away and opened up garage only to see both windows on MINXD open about 5 inches and the doors unlocked :eek: :confused: I NEVER leave a car unlocked even in the garage so was perplexed somewhat. I had to move MINXD so jumped in and tried to start - battery flatter than a pancake :rolleyes: :mad:

Now, from looking at other posts, it would appear that there is some sort of issue with useless batteries/drain but does a flat battery make the windows open & the doors unlock? :confused:

If it does, then I am mighty un-impressed as anyone leaving their Mini for a while might come back to find it missing or trashed :eek:

Although I may *possibly* have left the car unlocked, I had had absolutely NO reason to leave both windows down by 5 inches :rolleyes:

Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
reject

Hi martyn
I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HEAR HOW YOU GET ON WITH THE REJECT SIDE OF THINGS.
GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE TO YOURSELF.
THANKS
JONW:confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets look at a couple of entirely plausible scenarios with this fault.
The car is unattended and your interior is ruined through rain or vandalism.
You are overtaking an HGV on a rain soaked motorway and suddenly the windows and sunroof open -- would this affect your concentration, I would defy anyone not to look for the closure switches the second this happened.
It is PURE LUCK that when I found my car open to the elements there had been no rain or snow.
If you did leave a child or pet in the car it is possible they could leave the car, ( I know your not supposed to leave kids etc.)
Happy New Year.
Dr Mike

·
48 Posts
Rang my dealer this morning.

They had had another instance of this before & immediately agreed to see MINXD under warranty :)

It is definately not meant to be part of the spec that it unlocks and opens windows when the battery is low :rolleyes:

So, it's into the dealer next week for fixing...

Also, the fuel guage will be fixed/replaced at the same time - another known issue :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, up until now, MINXD has behaved impeccably :)

Will update with further info as I get it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
unlock

I have a friend not on the register who has a new cooper--his car is in the dealer with openening window problem and they say they have no idea how to fix the problem?:confused:

·
48 Posts
Martyn

Are you saying that BMW DO NOT know what causes this? Therefore no way of rectifying?

If that is true, then I'll be back onto dealer in the morning asking what they did to resolve fault in the other one they'd had in...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Martyn, sorry to hear Amy is being rejected. I had my sights set on a car like it. But the devil is in the details. I took a lot of arrows for saying I was very concerned with the electrical system. It turns out my views were well founded. I doubt a replacement car will be much more reliable than Amy was. The problem is in the design of the system and is common to all the cars. Some are affected now, but all will be in time.

What BMW did was try to simplify things by making them more complicated. What they did is similar to a USB system on a computer. They have a single DC supply with digital signals controlling things at the ends. This might work fine on a desktop computer, but can you imagine how vibration, heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc., can affect it? The ECU apparently checks things constantly, and if it thinks it receives a signal, it responds, resulting in the windows operating by themselves, doors unlocking, etc. In the end, the battery goes flat.

The ONLY way to cure these problems 100% is to eliminate the ECU for everything except the engine management, the handling package and alarm. Everything else should use a conventional wiring system that has been in use for over 60 years and is proven to be reliable. But knowing how stubborn a large company can be, I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
LMB said:
Unbelievable:rolleyes:

I hope this isn't a problem waiting to happen on all the Mini's. I find the fact that BMW were unable to come up with a solution rather worrying.

LMB:D
There's the understatment of the New Year......;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Electrical Fun and Games

Well, walked out the front door this morning to discover my MINI has unlocked itself and dropped it's windows.

Didn't have a flat battery mind...

Unamused.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't recall these window opening / door unlocking problems being reported when the weather was more favourable. Now that it's really cold and more prolonged condensation, ice, etc. about there seems to be a worrying number of people reporting this problem with seemingly no pattern.

As a potential new Mini owner I'm really being put off by the endless stream of problems being reported. I'm now suggesting my wife errs towards an Alfa 147... which on the whole sounds a whole lot more reliable, even electrically than the Mini !! What a turn up for the books! The interior quality (probably not any other bit of it though) of the Alfa is also a notch above the Minis. Yes, people biased towards the Mini will point to the difference in list price, but if anything the Mini is dearer than the 147 as soon as even a modest amount of extras are added to bring it close to the Alfa.

Unless these niggling problems with the Mini are eradicated in the next few month then BMW will have lost a sale due to quality issues to Alfa Romeo!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh My GOD

Oh no, you all must be kiddin'

if this were to happen to me (living in the middle of Amsterdam), I'm sure I won't find my car the next day, or completely trashed.

This worries me a great deal and makes me rethink the whole thing. For the amount I'm going to spend on my S, I can also by (a more reliable) Audi A4... Since I'm currently driving is't grandfather (Audi 80) and being very pleased with how the car has progressed, well you can see where this story goes... After seeing, feeling and sitting in the car in Essen, I have been head over heels but now I'm growing away from it. No way I'm going to the Civic-R, as some are now considering, but MINI is not doing a good job trying to reel me in....

:mad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
new car

hi ste1234
I have just taken delivery of my new company car a SEAT leon 20vt.
I looked at the alfa 147 as well--but found the ride to be very strange. this was right in the begining when the car car came out and it seemed to rock backwards and forwards over a set of bumps as if there was a suspension imbalance between the front and rear shocks?
Also the 1.6 that I drove is very slow-maybe the 2.0ltr is better.also from what I have read I would stay away from the selespeed-very jerky.
I also honestly believe the mini interior(minus sqeaks and rattles) to be of better made plastics etc---have a closer look?
I would have honestly decided upon the civic type r if it had been available for me at the time of order, but the SEAT was ready and its a cracking thing---not very nimble or chuckable but, show it a smooth fast flowing road in the dry and I think it would be with the best of them.Its also very well equiped-climate,6-speed,traction(always off!)sports seats,180bhp,cd-changer and VW reliablity-----ok ok I know its ugly but hey ho you cant have it all.
;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheers jonw,

Yeah I admit I need to study the 147 a bit more, but on the whole I think the 147 interior seems much higher quality than the Mini. 1.6 might be a bit weak, really needs revving like most Alfa engines. Rumour is that the Alfa engines will get direct injection in March/April, so 1.6 could go to 140-145 bhp. I have a 156 2.0 Selespeed at the moment...Selespeed can be jerky if you insist on your own changes at full throttle, but in city mode it can be 80% of a true Auto with v.smooth changes. Down changes are a true delight, as is left foot braking once mastered - well nothing else to do with my left foot!

Leon Cupra was on our list, but the looks are a bit bland and neither me nor misses (who this car would be for) like the back - too bulbous, otherwise a truely great car, and a bargain. New Ibiza with 147 like styling looks interesting, but could be some time before a Cupra appears.

Big problem for my misses is insurance, anything over about grp.13 would be too much, so rules out lots of good cars...Leon Cupra, Civic Type R, 2.0 147, Clio 172 Sport, etc. hence our shortlist at the moment and current (although changes weekly) order would be : 147 1.6 Lusso, Mini Cooper, Toyota MR2, new Ibiza 130TDi (as no Cupra yet)

If BMW can sort the niggles at source then it would be top of our list, but at the moment there is just too much to worry about, that even an Alfa seems a better proposition!

·
Registered
4 Posts
After this happened to my mini the dealership changed the lockes, door clips and drive away locking system. Sice this has been done I have not found my car unlocked, with windows open again! I am also going through the process of rejecting my mini!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts