MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
can see why the last time i lent mine out it came back missing the dummy tool hence why dont ever lend anything out now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Funny, I was just about to post the link to the Laser version as I've been looking at that. £300 is a killer for a tool that I'm likely only to ever use once.

That 55k replacement engine is looking more and more attractive...

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
This looks like the Laser tool for cheap, I've been right through to payment stage and for all I can see it looks legit...

Timing Tool Kit - BMW Mini Cooper on OnBuy
if you have a mate in the trade and has account with MOTORPARTS DIRECT the trade discount will make big difference , trouble with 55k engine put it this way I have seen many lower miles totally worn out before and you still would need to do timing chain at 60k on top of engine ,

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
shame you so far away i could of timed it for you if were local have done that few times for people down here in past,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
if you have a mate in the trade and has account with MOTORPARTS DIRECT the trade discount will make big difference , trouble with 55k engine put it this way I have seen many lower miles totally worn out before and you still would need to do timing chain at 60k on top of engine ,
Yeh, true. Probably just buying someone elses troubles, or at best delaying the inevitable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So, I've purchased...

Timing Tool Kit - BMW Mini Cooper on OnBuy £174.59
Looks like it's the Laser tool, I just can't work out why it's so much cheaper as it costs £305 direct from Laser :unsure:

TIMING CHAIN KIT HEAD GASKET SET BOLTS MINI R55 R56 R57 R58 R60 R61 1.4 1.6 | eBay £159
As per your previous threads/recommendations

Laser Tools 5153 Timing Chain Pre-Tensioning Tool 5018341051532 | eBay £19.54
The Timing Tool Kit suggests that you need one of these

Oh, and one of these for torque settings and some added confusion/lack of clarity, just to add some spice...
Haynes Mini Petrol & Diesel Manual (Nov 06 - 13) 56 to 13 | Halfords UK £18.99

Grand Total: £371.53

I've decided not to get into the bottom end and do the rings etc., mainly because the compression is still good (185psi ~ 5 psi across all four cylinders when warm). I'm hoping cleaning/lapping the valves, replacing the stem seals, and replacing the chain should get it back to acceptable without the added ball ache.

Will post some pics once I get started...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So, I've purchased...

Timing Tool Kit - BMW Mini Cooper on OnBuy £174.59
Looks like it's the Laser tool, I just can't work out why it's so much cheaper as it costs £305 direct from Laser :unsure:

TIMING CHAIN KIT HEAD GASKET SET BOLTS MINI R55 R56 R57 R58 R60 R61 1.4 1.6 | eBay £159
As per your previous threads/recommendations

Laser Tools 5153 Timing Chain Pre-Tensioning Tool 5018341051532 | eBay £19.54
The Timing Tool Kit suggests that you need one of these

Oh, and one of these for torque settings and some added confusion/lack of clarity, just to add some spice...
Haynes Mini Petrol & Diesel Manual (Nov 06 - 13) 56 to 13 | Halfords UK £18.99

Grand Total: £371.53

I've decided not to get into the bottom end and do the rings etc., mainly because the compression is still good (185psi ~ 5 psi across all four cylinders when warm). I'm hoping cleaning/lapping the valves, replacing the stem seals, and replacing the chain should get it back to acceptable without the added ball ache.

Will post some pics once I get started...
...Timing tool's a bit cheaper at Machine Mart Laser 5149 - Timing Tool Kit For BMW Mini Cooper. - Machine Mart - Machine Mart £169

Feck, I'll not sleep tonight now...

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
honestly bud do the rings its such a big issue with factory engines and the better solid one s are so much better ,,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
honestly bud do the rings its such a big issue with factory engines and the better solid one s are so much better ,,
I'd like to do them, but just don't want to get into the bottom end.

Are the big end con bolts stretch/TTY or re-useable?

Does the sump come off easily enough with the engine still in?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I'd like to do them, but just don't want to get into the bottom end.

Are the big end con bolts stretch/TTY or re-useable?

Does the sump come off easily enough with the engine still in?
yes stretch bolts bmw or psa only easy to get £1.09 each i have in past used red loctight as mate of mine never wanted the to do them so was 10nm plus 90 degrees on locktight that car was done over 5 years ago runs a 240bhp map and gets hammered never been a issue , yes sump easy off 8mm bolts and use grey elring sealant best on rebuild,, honestly i would be telling anyone wrong if said dont bother with bottom end but these cars have really crap piston rings from factory and really need changing

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok mate, you've convinced me. For the all the extra time and cost will be I might as well do the lot whilst I'm in there. Sumps off as part of the top end process anyway I believe.

Red/high strength, high temp loctite, or is blue fine?

Any links to tried and tested con bolts?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
i use red as dont evert want it apart again,, if do need to pull apart and use the red strong one just heat the end of rod with a heat gun or butane burner
honestly on these engines must always do the lot as rings are a big issue ie have sort of lasted to 80k but wont do another 80k ,, and when you take that car for mot you hc if done a good job will be no more than 6 thats where I tend to get them all ,, ie rebuild run in for 100 miles under 2k then increase the revs and heat etc, cat2u.com do cheap cats that all i have used have gone through the emission super low to the point mot guy always says to me that is another one you done then lol,, as they dont ever go through very low on a engine with north of 50k if that,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Done, Con Rod bolts purchased from BMW = £15 for the set

I haven't bothered with the shells, will assess those when I have it apart.

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Done, Con Rod bolts purchased from BMW = £15 for the set

I haven't bothered with the shells, will assess those when I have it apart.

Cheers Mike
below link for n12 14b engine ie 1.4 are smaller
below link for n12 16b and n14 and n18 crank shafts
all above are king bearings same as used on honda engines good bearing ,

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
added note on back of the bearings you will have a number and STD stamped on them this means factory std size

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
added note on back of the bearings you will have a number and STD stamped on them this means factory std size
It's the 1.4 so will be the smaller shells. Will check them over when I get them out, will replace if necessary and if standard size.

Thanks for the links Mike (y)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts