MINI Cooper Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
added note always quote a reg number when ordering any parts as if they then get it wrong its the seller who pays postage to return them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finally got round to measuring the Oil pressure (yeh, I know I should have done this prior to ordering the parts but I was fairly sure the bottom end was sound)

~2.6 Bar at idle, and ~3.3 at 3k. Presume that's within the realms of normal?

Gauge Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design Steering part
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ok, so got some time to tear into it today. Just took the front end right off to save messing about.

Think I may have found the problem.

The pic below is with the crank correctly locked and all pistons at the same height...

Light Product Gas Engineering Auto part

...presuming the flat sides should both be pointing up roughly level, is it safe to assume it’s skipped t tooth on the inlet cam?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
yep timing is mile off, with crank locked try and rotate the camshafts with 27mm spanner if they rotate and vanos dont faulty vanos sprocket

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
yep timing is mile off, with crank locked try and rotate the camshafts with 27mm spanner if they rotate and vanos dont faulty vanos sprocket
So when I rotated the inlet cam it initially turned independently from the vanos, then after some squelching noises the both cams seemed to turn in synchrony with each other as well as the vanos. It now looks as though it’s in time. The squelching seems to be coming from the tensioner which seems to move very easily, see vid below...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thinking about it, I think I turned the crankshaft both clockwise and anti clockwise when I was trying to locate the locking tool. Anticlockwise would throw the vanos out I suspect.

Does the tensioner look normal, shouldn't it ratchet out and lock or does it work purely on oil pressure?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts