MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2007 min copper not s in January. The valve cover looked tinkered with and it used a lot of oil so I decided to change it.

After valve cover was changed the oil consumption has gone down but it started leaking instead. It leaks from the corner near the vacuum pump. It is not the vacuum pump that is leaking and there is also no leak from the oil filter housing.
When idling I can see that it is seeping out. When I remove the oil cap it stops seeping and it is blowing very strongly out of the oil filling hole.

It seems to me that no air is coming out of the holes in the diaphragm when taking that off. Like it is totally blocked. Putting the oil cap on doesnt change that so there is no wonder that the oil starts seeping through.

This cover was not an oem cover and I think it is no good. I am thinking of buying an oem one but I am reluctant because what if this have the same problem?

Should I just drill some holes in the one I got and install a catch can?

Or is there another solution to this?

·
Registered
726 Posts
did you add sealant to those rear corners? It's supposed to have it at the corner joints of the top bracket to head....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like a bad pcv valve, but it's part of the valve cover, so by changing that, you should have changed it.

I guess it could be defective. Was it an oem one?

dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guy must removed gasket from valve cover (if it comes with gasket) and it may be wrongly installed. Also Vaico makes PCVs for these (oil consumption)... try these first before replacing cover; since replacing full valve cover price is astronomical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts