MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We have a little R56 running the N12 1.4 75bph engine. I believe they did a 95bph version of the 1.4 I totally realise that its never in a million years going to pull the skin of a custard but does anything know what differences were made between these 2 outputs to increase is by 20hp? And if so Is it easy to increase my little babies power by 20hp?

· Registered
13,577 Posts
would be a ecu update remap

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really ah ok did think it could be but wasnt sure as it's normally aspirated so the ecu map has limited influence. Thought it might be an injector swap. Might look around to see if anybody around can alter the map ?

· Registered
13,577 Posts
Really ah ok did think it could be but wasnt sure as it's normally aspirated so the ecu map has limited influence. Thought it might be an injector swap. Might look around to see if anybody around can alter the map ?
ecu mapping on a non induction fed engine ie turbo or supercharged is a lot more limited when the makers in first place design the car for max power to economy and emissions set by different country's etc, euro 4 or euro 5 ie euro 5 would also be lower emissions as each time a new demand on emissions levels is produced by different country or within the EU cars ecu gets altered to fit these laws, we map car and have rolling road etc, the gen non ss mini can be improved very slightly 10bhp maybe as its already running near its max output, the gen 2 prince engine is more detuned i stuck a set of 1.6 prince engine injectors in to a 1.4 prince engine car and it ran fine it went through the emissions test as a 1.4 should as were same injectors just that the ecu alters how they add fuel and when the add fuel and how mg/s or fuel is sprayed and how many pulses etc as per how the ecu map is wrote vary's this, ie same hard ware means car engine makers save millions on redesign of the same engine put bigger displacement as such,, ie the injectors for gen 2 are same part just controlled differently,,, the turbo cooper s injectors and only for that turbo engine but are the same throughout the turbo prince engines ie in peugeot 308gt thp they are 150bhp,, the same engine in 207gti 175bhp both these engines are used in mini cooper s until n18 engines with twin vanos and vvt, but stiff use same direct injectors just programmed and run differently,, also the pug RCZ same engines 269bhp also run same injectors as n18 mini turbo engines 70bhp more

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks for taking the time for all that it's explained a lot ?? my engine is a 2009 Prince engine would this be gen 1 or gen 2? If it's only going to add an extra 10hp is the average £150 remap cost worth it but if it gives it closer to the 95hp it might just be worth the cost to give her a little more go. I'm totally new to the brand and engine so thank you for taking the time to help ??

· Registered
13,577 Posts
gen 2 is yours, its not straight forward ie a 10-15bhp is more of increase in bhp but a good tuner will look to increase the torque and more so where it makes the torque ie as early as poss in rev band is good,, the the engines are from factory mapped to emissions rules so can be pegged back somewhat most mappers say 25% on some stuff is possible,, also exhaust and inlet changes can also effect where the torque comes out ie at what revs and load as such,, years ago Ferrari would put intake tubes on top of the IDA carbs to increase torque and where it comes in, cannot beat rolling road time, but before that need to make sure everything else has been increased and worked out etc, but then might as well just buy a turbo car and have cake and eat it lol, i'm looking for a clubman after 2010 hopefully with n18 turbo motor in it and will over time alter inlet and exhaust and turbo and stick on rollers see what can be got

· Registered
30 Posts
The other thing not really noted.
You get the motor mapped with the original injectors and your going flat out, it is possible to crack the head
This is because the new map needed more fuel out of the injectors.
I know I've done it and rebuilt a new head and are now running ST225 injectors in an R53.
So the AFR need to be monitored to determine the injectors are suitable for any map upgrade your intending.

· Registered
13,577 Posts
The other thing not really noted.
You get the motor mapped with the original injectors and your going flat out, it is possible to crack the head
This is because the new map needed more fuel out of the injectors.
I know I've done it and rebuilt a new head and are now running ST225 injectors in an R53.
So the AFR need to be monitored to determine the injectors are suitable for any map upgrade your intending.
that wont be a issue with the non blown engine like in r50 its basically and super charged motor without the compressor, also any mapper wont break the 14.1 fuel air ratio, also non blown engine wont add enough air to maintain this ratio unless add larger valves and high lift cam with a broader profile to leak valve open a bit longer and and also alter the over lap effect, your right add more fuel and air its dds more heat and things get melted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.