MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I bought a BMW F20 118i with N13 1.6 engine. The engine was low water damaged. Cleaned spark plugs and as the mileage was 65000 so I changed the timing chain with a TOOL also. The engine start ok. no misfiring. no hesitation. but after 3-4 minutes these fault codes with a message -Drivetrain problem – comes in the display. three fault codes are
1; 120408 Charging pressure control: switch-off as consequence
2: 12A701 Catalytic converter downstream oxygen sensor, electrical fault: circuit short to battery (+)
3: 130304 VANOS (Variable camshaft timing) exhaust: control fault, camshaft stuck
Changed the solenoid valves. Changed the exhaust VANOS. Changed the oil filter and OIL. Opened oil pan and checked pick up screen. still the same problem.
Please advice. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I bought a BMW F20 118i with N13 1.6 engine. The engine was low water damaged. Cleaned spark plugs and as the mileage was 65000 so I changed the timing chain with a TOOL also. The engine start ok. no misfiring. no hesitation. but after 3-4 minutes these fault codes with a message -Drivetrain problem – comes in the display. three fault codes are
2: 12A701 Catalytic converter downstream oxygen sensor, electrical fault: circuit short to battery (+)
3: 130304 VANOS (Variable camshaft timing) exhaust: control fault, camshaft stuck
Changed the solenoid valves. Changed the exhaust VANOS. Changed the oil filter and OIL. Opened oil pan and checked pick up screen. still the same problem.
Please advice. Thanks

the coking up the valves can be cured with a additive spray sprayed straight in to air inlet air filter removed this link below,

Sea Foam | Makers of Sea Foam Motor Treatment & Other Engine Products

timing chains are really bad have seen a high number or turbo car with under 50.000 miles with snapped or tension-er failure leading to chain failure,, ( these engines car be repaired after chain failure most of the time) i have done hundreds of them.,

the vanos sprockets must be replaced when changing timing chain as complete kit, the cheap locking tools on ebay i have found to be 3-5 degrees out retarded on the timing. laser tools do a good kit. also the oil operated solenoid valves that control the vvt have filter gauze's on them these get bits of carbon blocking them, not reving correctly first place to check remove and clean..

bmw say these engines are within spec 1 litre to 1.8 litre of engine oil used for 300 miles,, joys of low resistance pistons and bores.

oil pump, seen these fail in two ways, one is random low oil pressure then full oil pressure, carbon gets in to oil pressure release valve on the pump sealed unit,, also if car has snapped its timing chain bits get locked in it,, always remove oil pump and strip it clean it spotless after t chain failure, also the oil pump is driven by a small chain off crankshaft this chain has a habit of snapping after 100k or so.. always replace with sprockets,
i have seen a lot of cars with new coil packs new plugs as owner thought the misfire and misfire on bank 1 or and bank 2 fault codes were coil packs or plug issues when reality was timing chain was stretched and the engine was misfiring due to the over lap on valve timing way way out, right on the verge of snapping the chain when these fault codes appear.
all these issues are not just with mini and prince engines,, i see a lot of bmw petrol engines with all the above faults,, i also see vw audi seat petrol engines with timing chains with same issues,, the key is treat timing chain as you would a timing belt and changed it every 50 60 k and you should be ok.. i use febi bilsteen or FAI branded chain kits as have found then to be a bit as good if not better than the om ones

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
number 1 turbo issue maybe from the damage of over heated engine would point me to checking oil pressure when also when hot if will run ,
2 downstream 02 sensor might be cooked melted within and short circuit to positive, could also be a ecu fault,
3 also oil pressure first check on list then the oil control rings within the first cam journal or maybe engine got so hot it hurt the vanos sprockets,, i just done a citreon with same prince engine was cooked so hard it dropped the valve seats out the heat, that needed new cat both 02 sensors map sensor thermostat housing and both vanos sprocket all got hurt be the heat and thats was a lucky one

·
Registered
5 Posts
I already changed the Vanos Sprocket and Two Oil Control Rings within the First Cam Journal and oil pressure is also ok.

number 1 turbo issue maybe from the damage of over heated engine would point me to checking oil pressure when also when hot if will run ,
2 downstream 02 sensor might be cooked melted within and short circuit to positive, could also be a ecu fault,
3 also oil pressure first check on list then the oil control rings within the first cam journal or maybe engine got so hot it hurt the vanos sprockets,, i just done a citreon with same prince engine was cooked so hard it dropped the valve seats out the heat, that needed new cat both 02 sensors map sensor thermostat housing and both vanos sprocket all got hurt be the heat and thats was a lucky one

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
then number 2 looks to be the fault and the rest could very well be the outcomes of that fault
the 3-4 minutes bit is the clue so when a car starts from cold its on a preset cold start map,,, after 3-4 minutes enough heat is within the cat for the sensors and cat to be switch via ecu to closed circuit running ie the 02 sensors take over the fuelling of the car,, if the cat is damaged this will have a bad effect same as if 02 sensors have bean damaged by engine failures like over heated ie cat and 02 sensors have a very brittle running parameter heat range,, when car gets over heated or oil is added to it or even antifreeze water damage can destroy them,, on a perfectly running car 02 and cat makers give a life span of 60,000-120.000 miles ie motorway miles and should be replaced as a complete system,, ie running shagged sensors on new cat is wrong and same the other way around,, those engines eat oil by design this adds to it then if get over heated they have no chance,, trouble is if dont replace all of it in one go chances are it will never run right,,
this all said and dont want to spend out try a sensor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Mike. Let me start from the Cat with sensors and see how it goes further with the rest of DTCs.
Got another BMW F31 with N20 engine. 2.0 petrol. Changed Cylinder block and timing Chain kit. Kept all the sensors from the old Block. Reset all adatations. There is n DTCs but still the car doesn't start. It does crank and fuel supply from the injectors and spark on the Spark plugs ok. can you plz advice. thanks

then number 2 looks to be the fault and the rest could very well be the outcomes of that fault
the 3-4 minutes bit is the clue so when a car starts from cold its on a preset cold start map,,, after 3-4 minutes enough heat is within the cat for the sensors and cat to be switch via ecu to closed circuit running ie the 02 sensors take over the fuelling of the car,, if the cat is damaged this will have a bad effect same as if 02 sensors have bean damaged by engine failures like over heated ie cat and 02 sensors have a very brittle running parameter heat range,, when car gets over heated or oil is added to it or even antifreeze water damage can destroy them,, on a perfectly running car 02 and cat makers give a life span of 60,000-120.000 miles ie motorway miles and should be replaced as a complete system,, ie running shagged sensors on new cat is wrong and same the other way around,, those engines eat oil by design this adds to it then if get over heated they have no chance,, trouble is if dont replace all of it in one go chances are it will never run right,,

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
you say fuel is there ok and spark is there ok then its got to have a mechanical issue you would think,, have you try'd cranking engine with injector rail with injectors pulled away from head and as crank it see what fuel patterns you get if any, very very common bmw issue with no starts is cas unit,, also what are scanning it with need to know it will pick up dealer only codes as many do not,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Mike,
If the fuel spray pattern from Injectors are not the same or all are different then should I change All or the bad injectors 2ndly if the Cas unit is defective then still there would be fuel and spark supply? Or it would cut them off?
you say fuel is there ok and spark is there ok then its got to have a mechanical issue you would think,, have you try'd cranking engine with injector rail with injectors pulled away from head and as crank it see what fuel patterns you get if any, very very common bmw issue with no starts is cas unit,, also what are scanning it with need to know it will pick up dealer only codes as many do not,

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
cas units when fail tend to shut t all off, have you done a diagnostic scan if so what did you use, all injectors should spray same, also would check the fuel line pressure from tank should have somewhere around 5bar or some diagnostics use mpa that would be 5000mpa, also would back through all the parts you have changed over some will be coded and will need bmw software to recode them to that car,, its bmw's way of trying to prevent anyone working on their cars outside one of their outlets

21 - 30 of 30 Posts