MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When we bought mini 3 years ago it had Ann issue, when car on the first gear, when clutch engages with flywheel, the moment when it engages revs are dropping and almost stalling.
So, it has been like this all the time, since day one following things has been changed but issue is still present:

• New gearbox and clutch 3 years ago
  • new valve steam seals 1 year ago
  • chain kit about same time
  • new pcv pipe 1 year ago
  • new pcv valve 1 year ago
  • new catalytic converter just now been change
My guess is it could be an issue with
  • map sensor due to oil being sucked through pcv system
  • wide band oxygen bank 1 sensor due to failed steam valves and oil dumped to exhaust, can't be bank 2 sensor as it only monitors cat state
Also I do not have or had any exhaust related error codes, so I am puzzled why is that, I had driven a Honda civic 1,4 recently and it feels like has more power than mini, but yet has 10hp less.

My question how does it feel for people to drive 1.4, do then need to be driven that way so you hold clutch longer to get going, compaaring to other cars

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
what are you using to scan the can with, as some codes wont show up on cheapy scanners autocom cdp plus is best value for money and deffo will and covers all cars on road so buy once and always have a good gear for future cars,
you could try power latch on the ecu,

mike1967

Registered

Joined Apr 8, 2017
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 13 days ago
How to reset all ecu's

this procedure is called a power latch

firstly turn on the ignition not engine running,IE FOB IN DASH SLOT, TOUCH BUTTON UNTIL SEE DASH LIGHTS ON IE FUEL GAUGES ETC THIS IS IGNITION ON, THEN FOR IGNITION OFF TOUCH BUTTON ONCE THIS SWITCHES THE IGNITION OFF IE SAME PROCESS HAS TURNING A KEY ON AND OFF FOR IGNITION, ADDED THIS AS WAS POINTED OUT TO ME SOME MAY NOT KNOW HOW THE IGNITION ON AND OFF WORKS FOR THIS, THE BODY CONTROL MODULE STAYS ON FOR 3 MINUTES ANYWAY SO THIS WOULD KEEP IT ALL LIVE ANYWAY TO DO RESET ETC,
open bonnet remove battery positive lead and then turn off ignition.
then touch the positive lead to earth,this powers down all ecus and resets erasing intermittent faults in the process.then reconnect the battery lead.
if the vehicle doesnt start straight away leave the ignition on for 2-3 mins as it has gone into anti scanning mode.

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
upon starting the vehicle DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE allow vehicle to idle until cooling fans cut in to allow the engine ecu to reset correctly and reprogramme the learning curve,then drive in all gears upto 4,000 rpm accellerating steadily.

as stated this resets all ecus so any electrical faults caused by conflict errors in programming will be erased and fixed.if the fault is still evident there is a problem that will need further diagnosis

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are you using to scan the can with, as some codes wont show up on cheapy scanners autocom cdp plus is best value for money and deffo will and covers all cars on road so buy once and always have a good gear for future cars,

mike1967

Registered

Joined Apr 8, 2017
4,800 Posts
How to reset all ecu's

firstly turn on the ignition not engine running,IE FOB IN DASH SLOT, TOUCH BUTTON UNTIL SEE DASH LIGHTS ON IE FUEL GAUGES ETC THIS IS IGNITION ON, THEN FOR IGNITION OFF TOUCH BUTTON ONCE THIS SWITCHES THE IGNITION OFF IE SAME PROCESS HAS TURNING A KEY ON AND OFF FOR IGNITION, ADDED THIS AS WAS POINTED OUT TO ME SOME MAY NOT KNOW HOW THE IGNITION ON AND OFF WORKS FOR THIS, THE BODY CONTROL MODULE STAYS ON FOR 3 MINUTES ANYWAY SO THIS WOULD KEEP IT ALL LIVE ANYWAY TO DO RESET ETC,
then touch the positive lead to earth,this powers down all ecus and resets erasing intermittent faults in the process.then reconnect the battery lead.
if the vehicle doesnt start straight away leave the ignition on for 2-3 mins as it has gone into anti scanning mode.

upon starting the vehicle DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE allow vehicle to idle until cooling fans cut in to allow the engine ecu to reset correctly and reprogramme the learning curve,then drive in all gears upto 4,000 rpm accellerating steadily.

as stated this resets all ecus so any electrical faults caused by conflict errors in programming will be erased and fixed.if the fault is still evident there is a problem that will need further diagnosis
I use launch x431 pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

mike1967

Registered

Joined Apr 8, 2017
4,800 Posts
How to reset all ecu's

Thanks Mike, I will do power latch tomorow, to see if it is improves

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

mike1967

Registered

Joined Apr 8, 2017
4,800 Posts
How to reset all ecu's

Hey Mike, did not worked with power latch, still there is some sort of power lag on first gear when start moving. Do you know how to check o2 sensor and map sensor?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
first off before throwing a load of new parts at it, need to scan the car with a good scanner and i keep saying this to people only thing around that will do most things is autocom cdp plus off ebay for £40ish cant be beat for value and what it will do,
it cover s all P-codes dealer only and also the live data runs are very good, it also will show vanos sprockets positions actual and prescribed ie can check if chain is worn with this also can tell if vanos faulty or oil solonoids etc, a must have tool to be honest, i have had one for past 8 years and use the hell out of it still,
the 02 sensors can be checked with multi meter on signal wire looking for 0.45v on a 1 hour run hot engine ie switched to closed loop running, as when cold they are open and not switched on as such,
seen many 1.4 mini's with chain issuse causing 02 sensors to melt on upstream and for cat to fail, read both 02 sensors if both match each other then cat is burnt out, if one has 5v then chances are blocked cat or if locked on 0.1v same thing,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing