MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldnt find it from browsing as a non member so thought I'd join to ask (mods if this is the wrong secion please feel free to move)

I'm looking to buy currently, never having had experience of Minis (aside from the original when I was a teenager) and so far have viewed a number, but the Cooper S that I'm after seem to be far and few between given my locality constraints.

One local garage has 2, a 2009 (from my research it seems like a N14) with low miles and a higher mile N18 (my preference given the improvements made)

Unfortunately I discounted the first on the last MOT advisory of blue smoke from the exhaust. The other need#ed a new MOT and that was done today but what do you know....same advisory. I did wonder if a car that's been unused for over 6 months may exhibit this temporarily but I then thought oil in cylinders is oil in cylinders....

Both have been sat laid of for i would estimate at least 6 months and when viewing i started both up and didnt see any smoke, so although it seems 'they all consume a bit of oil' seems to be the comments i read on these engines, is this something to worry about? I'm testing the N18 tomorrow properly and will get it warmed up and give it a good rev out, but is it just 'normal' to see a bit of smoke given some owners claim they consume a litre every 1k, or is it a sure sign of valve seals, and whats the likely cost?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
trouble with cars that just sit around doing nothing for months is lack of oil on oil stem seals and they they crack or go hard faster that one being used all time, trouble with stem seals is its rubber that has been working on hot place and oil eats away at it, this all said rubber tends to break down after so many years as well, 10 years on most

1 - 4 of 4 Posts