MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Mini Cooper S Clubman R55
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there seems to be alot of confusion online about whether the n18 engine can use a bov that vents to atmosphere. Forge now list this bov specifically for the n18 that vents to atmosphere. Anyone know if this works without giving fault codes?? I've been in contact with people who have this and report it working, how does it work if metered Air leaves system?
Link below :
N18 BOV

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one of these/. It uses the logic for the recirculation valve, but moves the whole assembly out like 15mm, and vents to atmosphere instead of recirculate.

I had to grind one edge down to get it to fit (just a couple of mm) but it did work on my early N18.

The forge one is a solid piece of metal, and there are copies available for around £20. Took maybe 30 mins to fit it max. You need to remove the big plastic air connection to the turbo and move it out the way, and the water expansion bottle, and I'd advise using a magnetic torx wrench as the bolts are accessible, but out of sight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe they say it doesn't work on N18 only because the water pipes are slightly different, and there is that small clearance issue. Test fit, and you'll see what I mean, just 2mm ground down off one edge gives the clearance for it to fit, and work perfectly. They're aluminium pieces, so grind easily, you could probably just scrape the edge on concrete for a few seconds to round off the edge you need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
as for metered air etc.. this is how recirculation works!
Once you let off the throttle, i.e. close the throttle, the high pressure air from the turbo has nowhere to go. Above a certain pressure (the pressure set by a spring or actuator in the recirc or blow off valve) it vents this in one of two ways:

1. To atmosphere
2. Back in before the Mass Air Flow sensor

If it goes to atmosphere, then yes, there is slightly less air than before, but a modern system (our minis) just recalculate for what they do have, there is no major loss. The benefits (other than the noise!) is you're not putting worked (and therefore higher temperature) air back into your intake, reducing intake temperatures.

Tuning the strength of the spring can have an affect on turbo lag between gears. Slightly stiffer spring means it holds more pressure before releasing, downside being higher stress on the system, and therefore higher temps etc etc. Everything is a compromise and a trade-off.

I believe the full kit you linked to just reproduce the same parts that exist OEM, but a bit tougher, but for road driving and no real change to spring pressure, the passive add-on will acheive the same amount. If this isn't a race car, then apart from it being nicer, the more expensive kit isn't going to do anything for you at all in terms of performance good or bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts