MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Mini with the N18 engine that I'm replacing the timing chain. I followed the instructions in the BMW manual to a "t" except that I don't know if I got the torque on the pre-tension torque correct.... I can't find a cheap torque wrench to set the .6 or 5 inch lbs of tension and fit into the space between the engine and the firewall. When I started the car, it runs great but then I get a P1339 code. Crank misalignment...
So I purchased some new bolts and re-timed the camshafts. This time, I had a Mini technician who's done many timing chains tell me that I should just use the real tensioner. I did and I also only tightened the camshaft bolts to the initial torque...rotated the crank...checked and realigned....rotated the crank...checked and realigned...6 times total...I should mention that I put in shims between the cam alignment tools and the camshafts to close up any slop...When it came out perfect, put the 180 on the bolts, reassembled, started...runs great....error code P1338. Argh!!
I'm convinced that I should have used the pre-tension tool.
Any suggestions?
What torque wrench do you use?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd second just using the real tensioner. Also have a 2011 N18.

Do you have a scanner that does BMW codes specifically?, or is it a generic scanner. That sounds like a generic code.
You may want to scan with one that does BMW codes (for instance Carly) to get more detail.

That code points to the cam position sensor. These are in your valve cover (two, one on intake cam, one on exhaust cam.) Maybe pop them out (super easy) and see if either is damaged, bent pin on the connector, etc. Not super expensive just to change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd second just using the real tensioner. Also have a 2011 N18.

Do you have a scanner that does BMW codes specifically?, or is it a generic scanner. That sounds like a generic code.
You may want to scan with one that does BMW codes (for instance Carly) to get more detail.

That code points to the cam position sensor. These are in your valve cover (two, one on intake cam, one on exhaust cam.) Maybe pop them out (super easy) and see if either is damaged, bent pin on the connector, etc. Not super expensive just to change.
I have a new Foxwell NT530 obd2 scanner arriving tomorrow.
In the meanwhile , this is what I found on the M7 Speed and Mini Mania sites....
P1338 Camshaft Position Sensor Rationality Check (Inlet - Outlet)
P1338 Intake Camshaft: Angular offset to crankshaft is outside tolerance range
P1339 Camshaft Position Sensor Rationality Check (Inlet - Outlet)
P1339 Exhaust Camshaft: Angular offset to crankshaft is outside
tolerance range
I've already swapped the intake and exhaust sensors but nothing changed.
I'll check them again...that would be an easy fix. Also preparing to use a different camshaft locking tool, just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts