MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2011 Cooper S and I'm doing some investigation to see what might be wrong with the car. I'm now listening to the engine noise but I never had any other R56 Cooper S to have a reference. I only had a R56 Cooper D.
I made a video with my iPhone and tried to go around the engine to capture different points.

What do you guys think? I see a lot of people in YouTube with timing chain noises and I'm wondering if that's the case here. Around 25 seconds there is a clicking noise.

Thanks for the help!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a mini. 馃槀

it's really hard to hear on a phone recording, but nothing sticks out.

Whats the mileage on your car?
:D that's good to know! My car is now 127000 Km's.
I'm now struggling to understand if the previous owner took good care of it and I'm reading online on the common problems, and trying to figure out if they skipped important stuff or not.

Registered
That's the challenge with a used car. Mine has 162k. I did the timing chain, but mainly because I didn't know if it had been done by the previous owner. Actually it wasn't bad.
127k is certainly in the range where it might need one.

when you start it when it's cold, how noisy is it? Do you hear any "slapping" top of the valve cover passenger side? It's a lot easier to hear when it's cold.

Note all minis are somewhat noisy when they first start.

Sadly, by the time you get the tools and take it apart to check things, you might as well just change it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the challenge with a used car. Mine has 162k. I did the timing chain, but mainly because I didn't know if it had been done by the previous owner. Actually it wasn't bad.
127k is certainly in the range where it might need one.

when you start it when it's cold, how noisy is it? Do you hear any "slapping" top of the valve cover passenger side? It's a lot easier to hear when it's cold.

Note all minis are somewhat noisy when they first start.

Sadly, by the time you get the tools and take it apart to check things, you might as well just change it.
Well the car is somewhat noisy when it starts but I wouldn't say it's too much. Where can I find the valve cover?

And by the way, any way for me to check if the timing chain was done without taking it to a mechanic and having to disassemble the whole thing?

Registered
07 R56 S
The chain tensioner seems like a simple and robust component, what do you think the failure mechanism might be? How much is the guide displaced? Could it have been like that since the last work was done? Maybe it was just the low temperature caused the noise you heard?
some techs get caught by treating the outcomes and not reason why from time to time easy mistake to make if job is based on cost, ie customer wants to save money and not spend out on diagnostics work on top of repair bill,, not a easy engine to rebuild to be honest a lot of things that one needs to know and special tools needed as well, that said anything can be worked on by anyone with the missing bits filled in if that makes sense,,
i would first off do compression test link to tool below for idea
ring compressor
valve spring compressor, easy to use with tiny collets
torque wrench
piston rings sets i use by far best option
timing chain lock tool
plus will need sockets and torx drives etc,
you can buy complete timing chain and gasket kits on ebay for those engines after market for around 拢200 link beow
or genuine parts uk prices around 拢500
cheapest and dealer level near diagnostics tool under 拢50 autocom cdp plus
on turbo engines after I have done refresh ie hone bores and new ring sets I get 190psi hot, on the non turbo 160psi ish , also pays to put battery charger on car when doing compression tests as if battery a bit tired can effect the readings. if your getting low oil pressure would be worth crank regrind and new bearings for sure,
Hi all, my Cooper S has recently started to make a noise when starting from cold. It鈥檚 hard to describe but is a bit like when you crunch a gear change. It is for about a second and the noise goes away. Any ideas where to start? It鈥檚 difficult to pinpoint as it only does it once a day when engine is cold.
I had the same problem, hot engine and the oil pressure light came on at idle. I put rod and main bearings in it and had the same problem. I ordered a intake vct solenoid and went to put it in, found the moron (me) who put the head gasket on left the cam cap loose at the solenoid. I put in the vct and actuator any way and the problem is fixed.
This engine is plagued....I've been screaming my R56 N14 with an engine light for almost 3 yrs........it makes 30 psi at idle but drops off to.....phukall when hot...AND IT RUNS HOT.....this summer when temps never drop below +8-10C i'm gonna run castrol 20-50 in it.....making sure to warm it somewhat after startup .....BTW...someone need devise an overdrive chain and gear for the oil pump.....th3e factory config is NOT up to the task of supplying oil at idle to an engine whose clearances are opened up due too normal wear.....the owners spend untold thousands while pulling their hair out seeking a solution.....the only solution is a B/N tight engine ........which will have the same low pressure once it wears ....?? 40-80-k, kms.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts