MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using natural chamois for drying my car after a handwash up until now. However, Zymol has recommended only their synthetic chamois after a wash of a waxed car as natural type may rub the wax off.I must admit the synthetic chamois is quite good in soaking the water but it has a tendency to draw the soapy stuff from the craks and corners of the trim as well even after a good rinse of the area.I used towels at the end.Anyone any comments re the synthetic vs.natural chamois?

·
Yeeeees!
10 Posts
Have a natural one thats past its best so decided to go buy a new one last week and had this very dilemma. Decided in the end that i would try one of these new ''drying blades'' to see how they worked in comparison. To be honest i think i would have been better trying to remove the water with a comb. Disgusted with myself for falling for the claims on the packaging i returned to buy a new natural chamois.
Moral of the story? Synthetic may not be a good as natural but it beats the hell out of the drying blade option!!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
I guess it all seems to depend on your experiences.
I've used an Absorber for over a decade. Same one, Still works well.
I have been using a water blade for 2 years. Works great.

Used a natural chamois for about 20 years prior. I will not be buying one again,

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well - I use a large microfibre drynig towel - so I guess my votes for synthetic - I used to find leathers left "bits" on the surface sometimes as they got a bit older!

Bought a waterblade - use it a couple of times and binned it - if you are washing your car in the street and a car goes by or it's even slightly windy then the risk of a bit grit getting on the surface and dragged with the blade is scary! :rolleyes:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Wul said:
Well - I use a large microfibre drynig towel - so I guess my votes for synthetic - I used to find leathers left "bits" on the surface sometimes as they got a bit older!

Bought a waterblade - use it a couple of times and binned it - if you are washing your car in the street and a car goes by or it's even slightly windy then the risk of a bit grit getting on the surface and dragged with the blade is scary! :rolleyes:
If you mean the Meguiars one I've tried using mine several times and although it does dry OK, it doesn't do a very neat job I don't think.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Paul - it's not the megs one :eek: - I got it from www.seriousperformance.co.uk - it was unbranded but is about 500x300mm and works a treat :)

One thing i've found with it is to wet it and then wring it out first, then lightly drag it over the surfaces and it works fine - then go back and dab any missed bits and gaps/ trims.

One thing to note with synthetic/ MF towels is to wash them before using them the first time and if you wash them in a washing machine - NEVER use softner or the towel won't soak up the water.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
i've been using microfibre cloths from halfords for a good few months now & much prefer them to chamois. once they get dirty i (well, mrs H) bungs them in the washing machine & they're like new again. they do a pack of 3 in different grades or pile lengths, the really shaggy one is used for washing areas that are hard to get at with a sponge, ie in the grille slats, the medium pile one for general drying & the really fine one for windows.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I've tried synthetic chamois in the past due to bold claims but still prefer the feel and results
of the real thing. I suppose one day someone will make a better synthetic but I can't afford
to try them all. That's what this forum is for :).
Wul said:
- NEVER use softner or the towel won't soak up the water.
Don't use softener for anything, it's just animal fat. Would you want to coat your
clothes/towels/chamois in animal fat now you know?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've been using Autoglym synthetic chammies for several years - and wouldn't use anything else.

Admittedly they give a better result if the car has a good layer of polish on it - I use Autogylm Super Glym, a trade only product which doesn't have any cut in it, unlike their retail Super Resin polish.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
For years I used true chamios to dry my cars but recently I started to use a synthetic chamios and would not consider changing back.

They dry faster and easier and you can just throw them in the washer when you are done. Stored damp they are much easier to use. It wasn't anything fancy, just something picked up at Pep-Boys or maybe MINI-Mania. It came in a yellow plastic storage tube making it easy to store it damp.

I also picked up some Micro-fiber towels for wax removal. Much easier and faster than cotton towels or old cotton rags.

·
R.I.P You will be Missed
21 Posts
not sure which chamois to use but a wonderful trick I learned on this forum- take a ride on the highway for about 5 minutes - makes drying with either a cinch!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
tarzan4you said:
not sure which chamois to use but a wonderful trick I learned on this forum- take a ride on the highway for about 5 minutes - makes drying with either a cinch!
Yep this is doubly recommended for Cooper S drivers who's first stop at traffic lights or
a junction is accompanied by steam rising from the bonnet scoop :eek:. Eat you heart out
Batman :D .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts