1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few questions and haven't seen are direct answers for them so far;

- is the nav. system cd or dvd based?
- is the screen a touch screen?
- does it control anything else in the mini, such the radio, ac, etc..?
- if you have used what do you think of it?

i really want a nav. system (i plan on a lot of trips in this baby). problem is if it's not a great one, i'd rather not kill the speedo.

- also, does anyone have info on the plug & play part of the electrial system. ie; can i install any cell phone i want and hear it over the radio?

thanks! :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
RE: CellPhone - I vaguely remember sthg. posted here a long time ago - I think it's compat. with Nokias. Not sure though. Check the archives ;)

RE: Sat. Nav....
I bought a Clarion unit - Replaced the head unit..
Awesome sound quality, plus you don't have to move the speedo, plus you get to take it with you if you replace your car.... Well, you'd have to put the old radio back in.
Plus, it all retracts back into the fascia, so it doesn't look quite so stealable.
CD based though... I think you'll find Alpine and Kenwood do some pretty cool DVD Nav./Audio head units.

Even with the TFT display open, I can still see the speedo and fuel/temp. guages. The only button I cannot see is the manual air-con. switch, and the top half of the ventilation system dials.

Sorry, no pictures avail. as my scanner is in storage.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
djkarp said:
i have a few questions and haven't seen are direct answers for them so far;

- is the nav. system cd or dvd based?
- is the screen a touch screen?
- does it control anything else in the mini, such the radio, ac, etc..?
- if you have used what do you think of it?

i really want a nav. system (i plan on a lot of trips in this baby). problem is if it's not a great one, i'd rather not kill the speedo.

thanks! :D
- Not sure on this, but my assumption is that the navigation system will be a cd based unit similiar to the ones found in the current BMWs (not including the new 7 series).
- The screen is not a touch screen if I recall correctly from the MINI rep. There is a knob to scroll through the different menu and settings.
- The navigation does not control the radio and A/C as the controls for those remain in the same place with or without a NAV unit.

I have not used one, but if it's anything similar to the system on the BMW, I find it to be not as user-friendly to use compared to the ones in a Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura. The Japanese ones has simpler and more logical layout. Also, they are mostly DVD based which means that the roads of an entire nation are on one DVD as opposed to just having a specific regions on one CD.

I would suggest going the aftermarket route so you don't have to get rid of the unique center speedo and can find a NAV that will suit your tastes/needs. There are many reputable aftermarket NAV units out. On top of what Johnboy mentioned in regards to the the Alpine, Kenwood, and Clarion NAV units, Pioneer and Sony also makes some nice ones. (but I am not sure of availability of Pioneer, Kenwood, or Clarion NAVs in the states since I've only seen advertisements for them in UK and Asian automotive publications, but sure hope they are available as I may get one in my S as well :) )

here's a pic of the NAV unit in a Cooper S:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, i was really hoping it would be dvd based:(
does anyone have anymore information on it, such as is it a touch screen.. ease of use.. etc..

·
Registered
344 Posts
djkarp said:
damn, i was really hoping it would be dvd based:(
does anyone have anymore information on it, such as is it a touch screen.. ease of use.. etc..
A long time ago in an ICE forum thread far far away....
I think it was Iceman who confirmed that the unit is actually a VDO_Dayton (AKA Philips).
If that is the case, it is not a touch screen.
If you look at the VDO site, the unit comes with a "joystick" style remote with about 4 extra buttons on it.

Being CD based, you'll have to enter the nearest town/major city, then the road name....That's how the UK VDO system works anyhow. The DVD ones over here cater for postcode entry - which will take you not just to the road, but actually to the door of the place you're looking for!

Still, that's why the DVD systems cost more, and the DVD ROMS cost more too!

Alpine were rumoured to be bringing out / have brought out a GBP2000 audio/DVD nav. unit that replaces a standard DIN sized radio. t uses a reduced sized grey-scale display which although it won't give you a map, will give you voice and turn indications... The demo. picture I saw also had a small amount of 3D rolling road displayed too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info! i'm looking at the vdo web site: www.vdodayton.com and i can't seem to find the nav system you are talking about. could you please send me the link you have. thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts