MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13,590 Posts
if buying a engine from a breaker buy the lowest mileage engine you can find,
when find one must do checks ie seller will say its 40k etc, ask them for the reg number for the car it came out of, he if says sorry dont have that info move on dont touch it, unfortunately ebay has a few people who feel its fairly to lie about such things,
once you have the reg number you can do some checks.
HPI the reg number this will gives all mileages and when it was on road last etc,, its a must do if want a good outcome, especially with the later bmw n47 and prince engines , as a 70k engine i would replace the timing chains before stalling it would also think about clutch and flywheel as well, where if bought a 20-30k engine with all that on it proved mileage it will save money and time plug and play, also ask on very low miles for the dpf filter to come as well saves changing your old one if 75k or above.

· Registered
13,590 Posts
You could use the .gov MOT history site for a rough check of the mileage. Saves paying for a HPI to find out if they're fibbing.
trouble is and i have seen it ie seller uses a past car with low mileage on a lot of his engines he sells as low mileage, mot checker dont give a engine number, where hpi give a chassis and engine number to what should be in it,
fairly cheap
also more importantly you can print off the hpi report add that to the cars history so when come to sell it its all there with out any doubts to whether its true or not, done this so many times now and sold every car with mileages checked and proofs,

· Registered
189 Posts
That's a good point. I'd still suggest using the MOT history as an initial check (to rule out the bad liars for free) but then the HPI afterwards.

Funny how you never see high mileage engines for sale on eBay isn't it!

· Registered
13,590 Posts
That's a good point. I'd still suggest using the MOT history as an initial check (to rule out the bad liars for free) but then the HPI afterwards.

Funny how you never see high mileage engines for sale on eBay isn't it!
that link for free will do a basic check including all mot's that said and believe me i learnt this the hard way once and as i say foul me once shame on you foul me twice shame on me lol, it really makes me angry when people avoid the truth answers and even more so when its someone that plays dont understand english but can write a english add on ebay, had a recent pain in arse job due to this, ie ended up with a pre dpf engine 1.6hdi engine for clubmam, ie ford focus engine will fit and also pug and citroen all do and the dpf models are nearly plug and play, the non dpf engines are not every sensor the harness and fuel system all had to be changed,, really was one of those jobs everyday a new discovery and not for the good, but now its in it runs but the so called 50k engine when it arrived the turbo looked 100k at least but engine had stamping on end of crankshaft and was on a 4 notch head gasket to deffo been and had a full rebuild at some point ,, engine its self is sweet, done a live data on a run to find pre-boost issues, a 50k engine would have none of those issues nor would a 2008 dpf ford engine if that makes sense,, but good news is do fit and work even the injectors from pre dpf car encoded to ecu easy, think saving graces are its been rebuilt and also its never had a dpf strapped to it so should be clean and better for the future ,,
and has belt kit and water pump done and new radiator as old one was damaged from a long time ago and had caused a engine melt down,
my pet hate is lies i dont do them dont like being played by anyone and always see it coming before they realise it, hence why its always best to buy at pleasure and not from need as such gives you time to check things out see at worst and anything else is a bonus
used below link a few times very honest
or
but these change the rate late 40k 1.6hdi engine with its history correct cost me £850, ironically and ford or citron or pug engine half that price maybe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.