MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started looking around for some new discs and pads for my Cooper S. I'm not interested in big brake conversions - I just want a good quality disc/pad combination that will work well in normal/fast road use (and are reasonably priced).

The baseline is obviously the stock MINI disc/pad combo which is going to cost around £200 fitted.

I have looked briefly at EBC slotted discs with GreenStuff pads but I've not seen many reviews. I can get those for around £260 fitted. Has anyone got the discs and pads fitted?

What other options have I got?

·
Challenge addict ...still
470 Posts
wigley said:
I've just started looking around for some new discs and pads for my Cooper S.
I have looked briefly at EBC slotted discs with GreenStuff pads but I've not seen many reviews. I can get those for around £260 fitted. Has anyone got the discs and pads fitted?

What other options have I got?
Hi,

I have EBC `s now. They are starting too develop grooves in them- only done, maybe 500-600 miles on track. up until recently I would have recommended them,it looks like they are going to have a short life unfortunately. Not much help i know but atleast you might know what to avoid :D

K

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wiggly,

Check out the Tar-Ox G88 disks as sold by MED-Engineering or any decent MINI retailer. Together with greenstuff pads you won't find a tougher or more effective brake setup for the price, guaranteed. I'm still astonished how well my brakes perform (as described above) and I heartily recommend that setup. The only downside is the price but you get what you pay for...TUV approval, heat-treated rotors etc

Cheers,

Henry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Greenstuff

I haven't changed my discs but have put greenstuff pads front & rear - the difference in amount of brake dust covering the alloys is well worth the extra they might cost.

With the oem pads the front wheels were covered with black dust within days - now its 2 weeks since I changed them and there's hardly anything to see. :D

The braking is just as good as the originals now that they have part bedded in, and are supposed to be better when fully settled in.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Have a look at promini too, theyve got a kit that i'm after at the mo, with f&r pads, discs, braided hoses and new fluid for $693. Just trying to sort it out with them about getting it here at the mo.

Cool new do a front kit for £275 i think.

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
i have ran ferodo ds2500 for about 2 months now and i can vouch they make about 3/4 of the dust of the oem pads.. they are still black within a week, but not as evident... their performance once heated up though has been... tremendously improved... only downside is when they are real cold they may not stop as well as oem

i have stock disc by the way.. i heard power slot has worked well, but a buddy of mine warped them on just one track school on a brake heavy course...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HObzy said:
Have a look at promini too, theyve got a kit that i'm after at the mo, with f&r pads, discs, braided hoses and new fluid for $693. Just trying to sort it out with them about getting it here at the mo.
I've bought some stuff from Promini before but their international shipping costs are crazy. The cheapest option for that brake kit would be $377 :eek:

I like the look of supercoopers Tarox discs so that might be the way to go. I'll try and get some prices today.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scooperman_uk said:
Stuart, have your warning lights come on yet for wear?
No, the warning light is not on. According to the dealer once the warning light comes on the sensor needs to be replaced too. Don't know how much that is though.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
trucker said:
I haven't changed my discs but have put greenstuff pads front & rear - the difference in amount of brake dust covering the alloys is well worth the extra they might cost.

With the oem pads the front wheels were covered with black dust within days - now its 2 weeks since I changed them and there's hardly anything to see. :D

The braking is just as good as the originals now that they have part bedded in, and are supposed to be better when fully settled in.
keep an eye on ebay for EBC greenstuffs.... I got an entire car set front and rears, including postage for £55, theres a guy selling a few sets, he had 10 available when i got mine a few weeks ago, not had them fitted yet, but will get round to it soon !!

·
Registered
511 Posts
wigley said:
Thanks for tips :)

Henry, are the Tarox G88s standard size? or do they require new callipers?

Wigley,

The Disks are standard size and retain the standard calipers. How soon do you need these brakes? It's just that I will be putting a big brake kit on my car soon in anticipation of alot more power and would therefore be willing to sell mine on for a reasonable cost. The pads are hardly worn even after 2K miles and the rotors are unbelievably hard wearing :O By the way, 300 quid all in installed is blooming cheap for these rotors, pads and labour :O

Cheers,

Henry

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
supercoopers said:
The pads are hardly worn even after 2K miles and the rotors are unbelievably hard wearing :O
Thanks for the offer Henry. I'm waiting until after my service in two weeks time (unless the warning light comes on sooner). I am definately interested though so please put me down for first refusal ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Grooved discs are fine, but not millions of grooves like the fashionable tarox disc (they shred your pads and offer such a little improvement in coolings its just not worth paying the extra). The most important thing would be that its heat treated to a decent level. I would aim for say 4, or 6 grooves, max.

Drilled discs are pretty much always bad news. On Porsches and Ferraris they are cast, not simply drilled. They're also much thicker than on aftermarket applications, even the like of Brembo.

I would not recommend EBC to anyone, not even Hitler. Ferodos are the ones to go for.

To be honest, its fairly superficial though, you get major improvements in braking from larger discs and better calipers. Pads can give better bite and wear more but won't really improve braking distances. Many people have really old discs and pads, replace them with aftermarket and think WOW! but fail to realise a fresh set of OEM will give the same results..

The main problem with brakes is heat, lets remember, its all about friction. Together with better pad and BIGGER discs you want better brake fluid, and make sure there is plenty of air getting to those brakes

Sorry if thats confusing, im doing this in between work..basically..i'd recommend for occasional trackday use.. OEM discs (or solids that have a better temp rating), braided brakehoses, Motul 600 fluid (DOT 4), Ferodo pads and thsoe fancy brake air intakes you can get from JCW.

Have fun!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
E-mailed Promini today to cancel my order. Not heard anything from them for over a week and had no real news for four. Looks like i'll be booking it into JCG and getiing a few things done at once (roll on 210 BHP! :D) including the fancy cooling thingies...

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Brakes are really going to be a personalised choice item... do you race? do you just want to reduce the brake dust? Or do you want to have the Look?

If you race and want to stay with OEM sizes then I will never recomend EBC to anyone! I have tried the greenstuff/redstuff/yellow-black and they are shockers. Im now on the Ferrodo 2500's and yes they are hard pads and a little squeaky when cold but WOW what a change in the pedal feel and the response. Galfer Pads are good too, as are Pagid RS4-2.
DISCS'
The EBC TGD spotties are terrible discs for racing as they crack. The factory discs by ATE are better. But we are kinda lucky here in Australia that we have one of the best disc manufactures in the world here DBA. There DBA542KP discs are Slotted. Not drilled as drilling provides weak points. I have raced on these discs and have found with the ferrodo 2500's to be a fantastic cost effective choice. I get mine from http://www.autospeed.com

If your not going to race then yes EBC are going to be good for you.

If you want the looks... then you look at getting AP/BREMBO/TARROX/M7Tuning/STOPTECH/ and the list goes on of Big brake kits for the Mini... Just remember all these kits apart from the M7tuning will increase the weight of your car by 15lbs or so.

Hope thats of help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts