MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Mini Cooper S purchased in Sept 03. It has the H/K and NAVI.

Here's where I need help.

I would like to install a Alpine 9835 (not R, US spec), a XM unit for it, iPod interface for it, but at the same time, I dont want to loose any of the H/K, steering wheel functions and NAVI features... If possible, I wouldn't mind a Bluetooth kit if it can be done.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. I have had a hard time getting complete information on this.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Have a browse through GBMINIs Stereo issues - especially the more recent links. I have the HK system with a Kenwood HU ...

If you want to make the HK amp work with an aftermarket HU, I recommend you read this (about my "HKenabler")

If you want to control a HU from the MFSW, and the HU does not have a remote control connector, then your best option is the PAC SWI-X like I installed here.

MikeyTheMini is a great asset for this sort of thing - located in England but helpful and with the above products and many others available (you will need a harness adaptor, antenna adaptor and fascia adaptor too)

PS: I have no experience with keeping the NAV working, or with bluetooth - sorry.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2.

Is there a reason you want a new headunit? Besides sound quality issues - your current head unit should work fine with the XM-direct kit (as its sirius ready) and the aux input from MINI (not the best option for controlling your ipod, but gets you a clean audio input signal).

If its just features you're trying to add, then I'd say just stick with your current setup, unless there's a good reason to go through all the hassle of installing the Alpine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how exactly does the XM-direct kit work... and what solutions are available for the iPod? See, this is my mother's car... she seems to like the idea of what I'm going to do to my STi... 9835 with iPod interface and XM radio... She's got a clutter of CDs in the car and a separate XM tuner sitting on the dash.... SO.. all Im looking for is to implement this in such a way that it is aesthetically pleasing and easy to function.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
If you're looking for aesthetics, then you should use the XM-direct, as its a box that plugs into the pre-wiring in the right access panel of the trunk, and an antenna, that you can put anywhere. Its sold by a bunch of places, and several people have one. That way you tune through the radio, and the extra hardware is hidden.

The only iPod solution that I know that works with Nav is the Aux input from MINI. Its like $40, you can install it yourself, plugs into the back of the radio and you get a 1/8" stereo jack to plug anything you want into it. Get a holder for the ipod, and you can pipe its sound through the system.

aux inputs are really common.

There is the dennison ice-link, but I don't know if that works with Nav, that allows some control of a recent model ipod, you could check at dennison's website to see if it works. The official MINI iPod kit doesn't work with nav.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.