MINI Cooper Forum banner

Need feedback - Trading a 350Z

1550 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Back2DTM
Hi everybody! Welcome a new guy from Spain!

I know it's been discussed before, but I'm considering trading my 350Z for a brand new Cooper S Works.
I know they're in a different class; 280bhp vs 210bhp is a big difference, but, on the open road, does the 350z really pull away from a Works, or not????
I don't know if somebody has had the chance to compare both of them on a straight line, and that is my biggest doubt. I know the Works will be more fun to drive and better handling, but acceleration wise, don't know if the're a big gap between them.

If someone can feed me in with some info. and convince me to order a 2005 Works, I would really appreciate it. I hope I'll be test driving a Works very soon, that will also help me out to decide.

Thanks
Andrew
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
i have a 350z it's a very nice car to drive. it's fun too.
350z weights 1450kg
MCS weights 1215kg

350z PWR = 1450/280 = 5.178
MCS JCW PWR = 1215/210 = 5.785

with these numbers, i would say 350z is faster on straight
it really depends on how you like to drive. for me i got a JCW MCS because i drove in city alot and i don't do drag racing so i don't care the top speed. Howerer, if you like to go top speed, i would say 350z is better.
In terms of handling, i would say both are fun. one is FF one is FR, the handling feels a little different. i guess you will like both. hope these info will help you out. cheers
sold my MCS for a 350Z. three months later sold the 350Z and got a regular cooper. even with the huge power drop from 350z to standard cooper i would say the cooper is a MUCH, MUCH better drive. in my opinion its just a better all around car. there is more to how a car drives than power. get the MCS, you will not miss your Z at all. it was worth the trade alone just to get rid of those HORRIBLE deadly blind spots of the Z.
My advice is to stick with the Z. The Z cars are faster than the MINIs, and I think handle very well as well. ;)
I agree that both are good cars, but for a daily drive, i would say mini is the best.
350z is just for fun. what i mean by fun is to drive out on weekend for show or speed.
350z has horrible blind spots and i am totally agree. that makes the car hard to drive. need to watch out when changing lanes and parking.
Thanks for the input everybody.

I totally agree that the 350z's blind spots ares a killer. It does make things hard when trying to park into a tight spot. On the other hard, it is definitely a fast car and fun to drive, although I think not as fun as a Mini from what I heard.

This is a tough decision: does anybody know the acceleration specs for the 2005 Works (0-60 and 1/4 mile)? Not the factory ones, but from a well know car magazine for example.

Thanks
Andrew
Of course it's a matter of taste, but I didn't like the Z at all when I test drove it. It may be fast, but it's quite a clumsy ride when compared to MINI. The Z is a real sports car, very hard to drive in city. I recall that the specs for the Works are fairly 6.2 seconds and 1/4 mile in 14.6 seconds.
I love the Z borrowed my friends on a number of ocassions, and been on a trackday with it (that is where it really shines)

With ESP turned off the Z is amazing fun, very forgiving oversteering is so much fun and powersliding round corners.

But I love my MCS I do feel i need more power (works kit!). I could have bought a Z but the MCS was better overall in my opinion:

More boot space
More seats
Cheaper to run
Cheaper ro insure
Niceier interior (looks not build quality :) )
See less See more
My friend has recently purchased a 350Z. Personally I think they are very nice cars indeed and sound wonderful but I wouldn't say that speed is their greatest asset. In a straightline his 350z is noticably faster than my standard MCS but its not a completely different league of acceleration like I was expecting it to be. Through a twistie section of corners he cannot pull away from me and I have even gained a bit of road from time to time when the corners change direction quickly. Once the road straightens out though his bhp advantage does pull him away.

A works MCS is about the same straightline performance as the 350Z from my experience. I would say that neither of them are exceptionally fast but both delivery their power in a similar torquey manner. Both are great cars and great fun to drive.
See less See more
With Motor Trend recently testing a stock 2005MCS at 0-60 in 6.4secs, I wouldn't be surprisedd if the JCW can do it in 6.0 or maybe even 5.9. The revised gearing makes all the difference in the world, as the 2004's do 0-60 in 7.1 secs. :(
Johnny225 said:
The revised gearing makes all the difference in the world, as the 2004's do 0-60 in 7.1 secs. :(
BMW quote 0-60 = 6.8 0-62 = 7.2 with the new gearing. Your right it does make a difference, and its still geared too high.
Thanks again. Great feedback!
I think it's time to seriously consider visiting a Mini dealer and negotiate a trade with them.

Everytime I see a picture of a MSC Works, makes me want one even more!

I will keep you posted with my progress and hopefully be able to join the community as a new Mini owner. :cool:

Cheers,
Andrew
I went from an M Coupe to an '05 MCS Works in September. I had many concerns as to whether I would miss the horsepower of the MC, but I have to say that I have no regrets.

I had the chance to drive another M Coupe this weekend which one of my friends has recently bought, and I have to say that I don't really miss it that much. So it's stupidly fast in a straight line, goes pretty well around the bends and sounds pretty awesome, but there was something that just made me want to get back to my Mini.

What more can I say?
An M Coupe, that's a mighty fast car McBert!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm almost 99% convinced. I'm just waiting to test drive one but currently having some difficulties from my dealer to locate one.

Is it worth test driving a MCS (no Works package) in order to get an idea on the performance, handling, etc...? Or is there such a big difference between a regular MCS and a Works?

I can't believe no BMW/Mini dealers in Spain have a single 2005 MCS Works to test drive!!!! :mad:

Andrew
I got my JCW fitted after 2000 miles, so I got a pretty good feel for the standard car before the conversion.
I think that if you test drive a standard Cooper S you should get a pretty good idea of what the JCW will be like. If you like the standard MCS, you'll love it with 210 bhp. :)
My friend's modded cooper works and my modded cooper S don't really lose to the Z
on the straight. actually my friend's Works pulls on the Z everytime! mine is even with the Z but I am still waiting for my superchip.

edit: believe or not, I test drove the Z right before I bought my mini. the Z's power is not impressive at all. the CooperS is way more fun to drive and special than the Z IMO.
I've just come back from test driving a 2005 Cooper S. All I can say is "WOW!".
Absolutely amazing!!!! I didn't expect it to be that good. Loved the sound and loved how much the car involves you into driving.

If a Cooper S is that good, a Cooper S Works must be out of this world. I'm so impressed, I'm selling my Z and I've just placed an order for a brand new JCW.

Bad news: 6 month wait.

P.S. Back2DTM: you're right, the Z's acceleration is far less impressive than the Cooper S. I'm not saying it is slower (which is not), but less impressive. Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Andrew
See less See more
omg, congrat.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your JCW is going to rock!! just rememeber you can still mod your JCW ;)

congrat!!! :D
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.