MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I really need some advice from someone on removing the graphic on my roof.

I have done a search on the forum but nobody is having the same problem I'm having. I have the silver union jack which was on the car when I purchased it second hand. It’s so badly cracked and discoloured I decided to remove it after reading on here to use a hair dryer to heat the glue to then peel off.

The silver bits have come off no problem but the white bits (the main cross) is a pain in the ar*se to remove. I've heated it up but it just won’t peel off, it’s almost bonded to the roof. The other problem is that it’s so badly cracked and dry that I only end up taking off little flakes. Two hours worth of picking, heating and scraping and I only managed to remove a small corner.

Can a very helpful person please give me some advice? Do you think I should just throw in the towel and take it to a bodyshop?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
hi Spoony - you may have a major problem with this as we have had similar problems removing 'dealer' fitted or factory fitted graphics. Its mainly due to the material used and I ca only guess that a 'lo-spec' grade material was used (maybe 3 year max).

We had to try and remove some Silver stripes from a customers car and it took 4 hours just to do one of the bonnet stripes - as it was all cracked and had started to corrode !!!

But unfortunately it will be using the heat or try to get some vinyl remover from 3M or Avery - google them to see if you can buy it.

Sorry its not good news but good luck.

Phil

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phil, your a gent. I may well buy myself some of this, heres hoping it works otherwise my local bodyshop will be getting a call.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts