MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me to a Dummies Guide on swapping out spark plugs on a Mini - something like Randy's How to Guide? Looking at upgrading mine after a pulley upgrade, but have no clue or what I need to do the spark plug upgrade. Should I also upgrade anything else to take full advantage of the new plugs also. :confused:

TIA

shenmue :confused:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Are you asking as in what Plugs or what steps to remove and re-install??

As for what plugs.. most would say the iriduim IK22 since you put the pulley on with a .065 gap.

As for installing. for me to make it easier and lessen the chance of having the Spark plug socket left in the well where the spark plug is. This is what I do.

1) remove the plug wire off the plug your working on (doing one at a time lessin the chance of putting the plug wires back in the wrong order)

2) Using the 5/8 spark plug socket with the rubber insert removed and long extention Loosen the sparkplug until easily turned by hand ( approx 4 turns)

3) stick in 2ft long piece of 3/8" hose on top of the plug turn plug rest way loose 1-2 more turns normally and remove.

4) lube plug with Anti-Seize

5) place new plug in 3/8" hose. Stick down Spark plug well turn clockwise to start new plug. about 2- 3 turns then pull out 3/8 hose.

6) place Spark Plug socket down well with extention and Tighten plug until snug. IF you dont have a Torq wrench then Tighten plug only 1/4 turn after snug. to set plug.

7) Remove Spark Plug socket with extention and replace Spark Plug wire.

8) Repeat until all Plugs are changed.

Hope this helps.
Have fun, Be safe and Keep MOTOV8N

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
CaMeroN said:
about step 1. Can I just pull the cable in a upward direction? Or do I need to rotate it, like the spark plug?
It's usually better to give it a twist first. Often boots will anneal to the ceramic isolator making it hard to pull off. A little twist usually breaks this. On a newer car this is rarely a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried replacing the spark plugs today, but without success.
Removing the plug wire was easy but I wasn't able to remove the spark plug. It didn't move at all. I don't know how stuck they should be? Should they come out easily?

·
Lohen
9 Posts
Spark Plug Removal

As you have gathered the removal of the leads is easy (they are also numbered) so there isnt much chance of getting them confused, and if you buy aftermarket leads like Magnekor KV8 they are also cut to length.

The removal of the original spark plugs requires quite a lot of force (they rotate as normal bolts). If you have a tool kit use a long extension, 10 (whatever the measurment its in) plug keeping the rubber seal as it will let you pull the plugs out, and a 1/2" wrench.

tightening wise - till it gets tight and then about 1/2 turn, dont go crasy overtightening it as it could be expensive to repare.

happy tuning

·
Registered
434 Posts
Having the problem with the socket remaining with the plug while installing, both on the MINI and my daughter's Honda Insight, I sacrificed a 5/8 plug socket and spot welded the extension to it. Makes it easy to put the plug in the socket and hand tighten before being torqued down.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The tube trick is for the possiblity of loosing the plug socket down the hole.. its why the Plug socket i use doesnt have the rubber piece in it.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Suggest you buy the right size spark plug wrench from your local motorist shop.
It is all one piece and has a rubber insert as std ,so nothing gets lost down the tube.
They have a T bar handle.If too tight ,we use a short length of tube over one leg of the T to give more leverage. Regards Roland GT Tuning Ltd

·
Registered
25 Posts
I removed one spark plug today and I noticed it had four contact points instead of one. The spark plug was a BMW NGK K5. I wanted to replace the old spark plugs with NGK Iridium IX (BKR7EIX). When I compared the two I saw that the spark plug I wanted to insert was 2mm or 3mm longer. Now I'm a little worried about replacing the spark plugs, because they might hit the cilinder??!!
I ordered the spark plugs at mini-madness.com and thought it would be ok. Can anyone help? THanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
New plugs are ok and will not hit piston. Four prong plugs last longer and are better for the car company for extending warranty replacement. Your new plugs are made to fire with less voltage requirement, hence the wider gap. They are supposed to give you fewer misfires, especially under extreme conditions and high RPM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok but I just read on the ngk website I need BKR6EIX-11 which is 1 heat range colder. I now have 7 which are 2 heat ranges colder (compared to the 5 that's installed now), that can't be good can it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Your car decides which heat range it wants. I believe those with a 15% pulley are going one range colder, and further mods colder still. The Iridium plugs have a pretty wide operating range, and running one range too cold shouldn't be a huge problem unless you drive slowly and never put demands on the car. Too cold a range is to err on the safe side, but might foul on a stock daily driver. If you can exchange the plugs, try to get the right ones for your driving/state of tune. Madness would probably know better than NGK which plugs are right for you as they have been tuning MINIs for a while now and have a good idea what works best under what conditions.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
What do they do?

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me exactly what upgrading spark plugs does for your car??

in the next 4-5 months i am going to do AmD stage 1.. is upgrading spark plugs beneficial for me? I am only a street driver (no track).

cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stock spark plugs used in a mcs are ngk heat range 5. When you increase boost by installing a smaller pulley pre detonation can occur (read engine is dead). Using a higher heat range (= colder) will prevent that.
If you use Iridium spark plugs you might use less fuel as well, because of a better spark. They also last longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.