1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

17 and finally gt my first car and lucky me i gt 2002 mini cooper s :D

and i had it for lik 4 weeks now and i reali need to mod it:
  • any one kno any cheap EFFECTIVE mods for speed?
  • any gd bodyktis?
  • any one fitted nitrous purge kit?
regards danny

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi welcome nice start at 17! you can check out the engine performance section for "best" ways to tune,not what i would call cheap! but exhaust intercooler and filter is a good start then pully, no cheap ways to get good gains tbh make sure you get the good products

where are you based?

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
17 and finally gt my first car and lucky me i gt 2002 mini cooper s :D
  • any one kno any cheap EFFECTIVE mods for speed?
  • any one fitted nitrous purge kit?
You're not serious are you? :confused:

An S at 17 must be costing £4,000+ to insure! I know my 17 year old sister tried to get a quote on mine and as the only driver it would have cost £6,700. Putting on extra named drivers brought it down only slightly. :rolleyes:

Now you want to make it faster? The standard MCS is more than enough for any new driver. Plus, your insurance would be increased even further! :eek:

Welcome to MINI2 by the way. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahaha im more shocked than u people i thought i was getin honda civic not this lol

yh insure is very high but im not payin for it lol

well im bassed in uk bout 2 hours from london

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
lets be realistic here, you are probably not gonna be able to get insurance if you mod your car, lots of companies wont insure mods until over 25,(especially nirous, unless u race it wont be needed on the road)
a cooper s at 17 for your first car is fast enough and you are very lucky, i would work on the looks first, there are loads of things you can get to make your cooper s stand out and look cool not just concentrate on speed.

just my opinion.

welcome to mini2 though pal.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yh i understand i want to concetrate on my body first just wudner in long term the mods i can do for speed, and im not lokin for ntirous kit per say i was just wantin the jets of nos shootin out of the bonnet.

do u kno any decent lokin body kits ?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum.... Body kits are available from MINI (the Aero kit) or there are a few 3rd part vendors. That being said, you will probably have to hunt around a little.

If you have an S reducing the super charger pulley to a 15% is the first best mod you can do. After that it varies on what you are trying to achieve. Check out the Engine and Tuning section for more info. Steer clear of NOS as all you will do is destroy your engine. I have no clue what you mean about jets shooting out of the bonnet.... :confused:

Lastly, please stop with the text speak as it is not allowed on the forum. We have a huge melting pot of people on this forum and some will have a hard time reading your posts if proper English is not used. ;)

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
If you're wanting jets of NOS shooting out the bonnet, I suspect you'd like the wide arch kits and the chrome 19" wheels? ;)

Failing that, most MINI owners find the Aerokit is tasteful and suits the MINI. As the other guys have said, the S will be quicker than most of the Corsas and Clios in your cruising carpark, so i wouldn't worry too much about that end of it ;)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
my opinion, if your 17 i would drive it for a year and get yoyursefl some driving experience, The cooper s is more than enough power to get yourself into trouble especially at 17.

I won;t start on my rant about young drivers being limited on power when they start driving, as i'd be here all day.

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
Welcome to MINI2! :D

I would look at the Aero Kit. Its nice and subtle and suits the MINI. Although there are other bodykits out there, they tend to be a bit more in your face. :D

As for performance, I would leave that for a few years yet! :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Im 22, and after 4 years of driving, I still think that my Cooper S could be a bit too much for me every so often.
I wont be planning on any mods for at least a year. (Mostly because I will wait for the warranty to run out before i did )

I take it you are on a family business insurance policy of some kind to be able to drive a car which is grou 15 insurance and does 0-60 in 7 secs?

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
yh i understand i want to concetrate on my body first just wudner in long term the mods i can do for speed, and im not lokin for ntirous kit per say i was just wantin the jets of nos shootin out of the bonnet.

do u kno any decent lokin body kits ?

the la vacca wide arch kit look good(expensive). you need some massive rims and spacers to fill the arches properly though mate.

Attachments

·
258.3bhp and 263.1Nm
699 Posts
I will start off by saying, Welcome to Mini2 mate!

Modding the Mini is very addictive and at the moment very expecive, so if i were you i would cosentrate on the exterior styling.

By looking at the photo of your car i would take a look on the classified section or ebay and get yourself a set of 17" S spoke Mini alloy wheels and spray them black, and then to keep costs down go to your local BMW/Mini dealer and ask to buy the front upper and lower aero grill instead of splashing out on an expensive aero body kit. then take it to a body work shop and get them to fit it if you cant do it yourself.

Then colour code the wheel arches and side skirts and tint your windows to as dark as you can legally go, take off that silly standard "plane spotting" radio aerial and replace it with an alta stubby aerial.

For the back of the car take the rear lights out and spray them black with the special spray onn film that you can either get from ebay or halfords!

I tell you what mate, it may not be to your taste but your car would look stunning if you did that lot, and the best thing about it is that you will be saving so much money that you could always sling towards a cheeky 15% supercharger pulley and belt after you have it looking how you want it!!!

Alex

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
When I read this I do worry! The S is a fast car anyway, most people tend to have a car for 6 months before they start to mod them. As for questioning how to add more speed? do you plan to go over 140mph? I would have thought you mean acceleration?

I would save the body kit till you have had you first crash then when you rebuild the car you can get the kit put on. "not saying you will crash but your a good statistic"

Leave the Nos alone as stated before, consider having a pulley change to either a 15% or 17% though be sure to tell the insurance as they are getting clued up on the mod. you could change the plugs and inter cooler, but again your first crash will probably destroy the cooler.

My personal grumpy advice is to drive the care with care for a few months and get some driving experience under your belt, do not devalue and destroy a nice car with halfords "ripspeed" un-tasteful mods. Think about what you intend to do and get a plan. Look at other minis and see the trend as this will not leave you with a mini that's hard to sell on.
Just chill and enjoy the car for what it is... remeber the faster you go the quicker you will lose control and fast crashes hurt more than slow ones!

Take it easy and note that there is always someone here to offer advice but generally most of us will use our heads and tell you to chill with the mods for a while

·
Registered
47 Posts
"not saying you will crash but you're a good statistic"

No kidding. If I had an S when I was 17 - well - I'd be dead. 70hp Rabbit is the only reason I survived.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
"not saying you will crash but you're a good statistic"

No kidding. If I had an S when I was 17 - well - I'd be dead. 70hp Rabbit is the only reason I survived.

I'd second that, i remember the amount of close shaves i had ragging the **** out of a 50Bhp 1.1 fiesta back in the day. I honestly think driving with low power is sometimes more fun than having loads. EG in my S i come up behind someone pull out floor it and back in. Easy peasy, no skill no drama ( apart from the roar of the exhaiust). Now in a low powered car its more fun and skillfull, waiting till just the right moment and timing everything jst to make the pass. making sure you carry the speed througha corner to asllow the overtake further down a road,:D:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow thanks you guys given me alot to think about.

MiniPetrolHead

thanks for the advice im defo taking some of you ideas, would it be ok to contact you if i encouter any problems?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts