MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Summer Splasher
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn! It's been almost 2 weeks now- when I sometimes do get on, it dumps me off in about 2-3 minutes!!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with this DNS settings? or whatever!!!!!!!!!!! I am about to pull out what remaining hair I have!!!!!!!

Can anyone out there help me with this??????? I know others are having a similar problem, and it would be real nice to get it fixed!!!!!!!

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
Comcast and OpenDNS both say that nemini.org has address 206.212.244.194. Virtual hosting setups usually require a host name to be used, however, so just plugging in that IP won't do you any good. You could try setting up your computer to use OpenDNS.com for an alternative DNS config. That might not be the problem, however...

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
If you do get to the main screen, be sure to try logging out and then logging back in, in case any cookie confusion has occurred.

NEMINI says you were last active on October 18, 2008, 05:47:20 PM

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
OpenDNS: OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet
They have help that'll pretty well walk you through what to do.

Background:
When you type in a website address like NEMINI - Index, the computer has no idea where to go to get the data. It does however know where a DNS server is, that can tell it where to go - think of DNS servers like phone books to look up the "number" (IP address) for a "name" (website).

If a website moves to a new host, it keeps it's "name" but changes it's "number" - the "phone books" have to be updated. If not, you're stuck!
If you have a bad DNS server, you'll be given the wrong IP for the website, and you won't be able to access it.

OpenDNS is a company that offers their DNS server to anyone that wants to use it - they're generally pretty good, and switching to them will solve your issue *IF* it's caused by your internet provider having a bad DNS server.

However, it's also possible that your problem is caused by "routing" - which controls how your computer connects to many other computers on it's way to the website.
Sometimes there is bad routing data somewhere between your computer, your internet provider, and the server where the website is being hosted, and you end up stuck. If so, OpenDNS can't solve the problem.

BTW:
PING nemini.org should tell you the IP address - is it the same (206.212.244.194) as Brian said?

·
Summer Splasher
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's the same : 206-212-244-194

I'm on a network at work, would it matter if I change to OpenDNS on my computer here, only?
I don't want to try that in case I mess up the TCPIP settings or something.

Is there a way to check the DNS Server?

Is there a way to check the router functionality?

What about the DNS Server of the host for nemini.org? How can that be checked?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
You've confirmed now that it's not a DNS problem, because you have the correct IP address.

You could try a traceroute (DOS window "tracert nemini.org") to see if there is some sort of IP block between you and the host.

I know MINI of Peabody has various IP blocks to prevent access to external sites - my understanding there was that most was blocked, and they had to request particular sites to be un-blocked. If that's the case where you are, then you'll need to get the new IP address unblocked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Peter,

Here is the latest post on NEMINI. 007MINI tried the steps and he was able to get on, but I'm not sure if you are using a router at home or if you are directly connected to your cable/dsl mode

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hmmmm just thought of something Russ, have you tried removing the wireless router and connecting a PC directly to the Cable Modem?

Here are some steps to try:

1. Turn off everything again
2. Disconnect the Wireless Router from the Cable Modem
3. Plug a PC directly to the Cable Modem
4. Turn on the cable modem and wait a minute
5. Now turn on the PC and test connecting to NEMINI

Theory behind this:
All network equipment has a MAC address. This is a unique identifier....kinda like everyone has a Social Security Number. When your wireless router requests an IP from your ISP, you ISP associates the MAC address to the connection. So when you last power cycled everything, the Router, with the same Mac Address, requested an IP. Your ISP most likely recognized it was the same MAC address and gave the same IP. Now that we removed the Wire Router, you PC is now requesting an IP address and since it has a different MAC address your ISP may give you a new IP address and NEMINI works again. This would explain why installing a new router for Gene's Mom worked. This will hopefully confirm it's an IP issue.

Now the problem is when you plug the Wireless Router back up and it requests an IP, it will most likely give you the OLD IP back again causing NEMINI to not work again.

Trying to find out if there is a way to force the Router to request a new IP.

Please note - I'm not a network engineer so this information might be exactly correct and it's only my best guess.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

007MINI was able to get on NEMINI when he directly connected his PC to his cable modem. Next I had him check to see if his router had a MAC cloning feature, which it did. Not all routers have this feature so you will have to check with the manufacturer of your router to see if it has this feature. If your router has this feature, it can clone the MAC address of one of the connected PC's which will then trick you ISP into thinking a new network device is attached giving you a new IP that hopefully works for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After some research, the only way to possibly force a new IP from Optimum is to leave the Cable Modem off for 5 days, which is the lease time for your IP. After 5 days, it will release your IP so someone else, a new customer, will grab the unused IP. Unfortunately this is not guaranteed to work and takes 5 days of no Internet at all.

You can try contacting Optimum and see if they can change your IP

or

You can install a new Network card which will have a new MAC address

or

If your are feeling up to a tech challenge, you can change your MAC address, also known as spoofing.

For more info on changing your MAC address:
Changing MAC addresses on Windows 2000 and XP

All in All I would start with contacting Optimum Online. Of course you are going to have to go though all kinds of loops to get them to change the IP.

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
DNS issues just don't persist like this. The time-to-live on an address record is usually measured in hours or days. Changing your computer's IP really is not going to help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree, I don't think this is a DNS Server issue.

The issue was resolved to 2 out of 5 people experiencing the problem by changing their IP.The other 3 have not been able to change this IP yet. I believe the issue has to do with some ISP's using cached DNS. It's seems like some IP's are looking at an old cache and obtaining a new IP is looking at the most up-to-date cache resolving the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
If it was a cached DNS, couldn't Peter edit lmhosts to resolve it (with some guidance)?

We once had a router which had some wierd bug, and wouldn't route a particular IP address out to the "world" - we eventually had to junk the router! Very specific IP range, very unlucky to hit it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
lmhosts I don't think will help in this situation because I think that is intended for for internal networking and not the Internet. lmhosts is used to map IP's to specific computer names on a network and not domain names.

But that has got me thinking about the hosts file where you can map an IP to a domain name that will override the DNS.

Peter,

Please send me your hosts file. It's located here:

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

NOTE: Hosts is the name of the hosts file and not another directory name. It does not have an extension (extensions are the .exe, .txt, .doc, etc. endings to filenames) and so appears to be another directory in the example above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts