MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ding Dang Do !
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had me new MCS for a week now and am loving driving it around. I have noticed a couple of things however. The main issue is when breaking at speed (say over 50mph) relatively firmly the steering seems to want to pull to the right slightly, has anyone else experienced this, is it the ACS?

Also a slightly less issue is when ive been pulled up at the lights a coupe of times the engine seems to make a funny noise as though it is struggling to tick over, this only lasts a couple of seconds though ?

I hope these are just bedding in problems

any advice ?

Thanks

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
DCM said:
Ive had me new MCS for a week now and am loving driving it around. I have noticed a couple of things however. The main issue is when breaking at speed (say over 50mph) relatively firmly the steering seems to want to pull to the right slightly, has anyone else experienced this, is it the ACS?

Also a slightly less issue is when ive been pulled up at the lights a coupe of times the engine seems to make a funny noise as though it is struggling to tick over, this only lasts a couple of seconds though ?

I hope these are just bedding in problems

any advice ?

Thanks
The pulling over thing, check the tire pressures, if not, ask bmw to do your tracking, this wont be the asc.

The idling thing, dont worry about this. most cars dip. Its the fuel/air ratio changing as the ecu adapts to the sudden lack of air.

·
Registered
32 Posts
no advice, but i'm 3 weeks into 05 ownership and having the same problems, but mine pulls to the left on heavy braking.

the idle problem has been on another thread, but with no answer. My car judders like its going to stall, but if i blip the thottle or just wait it seems to resolve it.

going to mention it to the dealer, also now (1000 miles) i'm getting a high pitch whine from the power steering i think :(

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Mr Simpson said:
no advice, but i'm 3 weeks into 05 ownership and having the same problems, but mine pulls to the left on heavy braking.

the idle problem has been on another thread, but with no answer. My car judders like its going to stall, but if i blip the thottle or just wait it seems to resolve it.

going to mention it to the dealer, also now (1000 miles) i'm getting a high pitch whine from the power steering i think :(
Re: the high pitch whine, is that at rest/low speed or on the hwy? Hopefully you're aware that that's a normal noise at rest/low speed....it's the electric motor.

·
Ding Dang Do !
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr Simpson said:

Sounds exaclty the same as what im getting, guess the only thing to do is to run it back to the dealers an get them to check it out, anyone else experiencing/fixed this ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heavy Idle

My MCS is just over a month old, and has a bad case of the stumbles upon cold start as well. Not to mention a puttering noise coming out of the tailpipe -- regardless of temperature. I took it in last Friday and I was told that a computer upgrade was needed to re-map the fuel system. Also that using a lower octane fuel might be beneficial. I am using 93...the manual says nothing lower than 91 - so I'm good to go, right?

Well here I am on Wednesday and when I started it up this morning, it actually stalled out. Yep! That's right, the fix actually MADE IT WORSE.

Now for a bit of irony...I received a call from BMW Engineering today asking how I was enjoying my new car. I explained my issue -- noting that I was not alone -- and asked for an explanation. Unfortunately the girl that took my call had only been on the job for 3 days, so she had none to give.

She recommended that I call MINI USA and notify them. So that's what I'm going to do. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You would think that MINI should have come up with a fix already for the "yo-yo and/or stumble" issue since it has been 3 years on the production line... At the end of my warranty period, I am considering to trade-in my 03 MCS for a newer model, with the hope that things will be ironed out in the newer models and I dont have to make that many trips to the dealer... Looks like nothing improved on the "let's address the stumble/hesitation problem" department. My 03 MCS had it -as sooooo many other MINIs- and got 3 different software upgrades to cure the problem. v37 made it much worse, while v38 improved it a little bit. While v38 installed, service adviser joked about it and said "looks like this is going to reach v100 soon".
Now, there is an emission recall that requires software update and I dont even want to know if my car needs that update or not, since the "new" patch may worsen things again...
Well... welcome to MINI ownership. You begin with posting "problems" during the first month of ownership :rolleyes: If only the car was not so much fun to drive :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
tenderidol
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing