MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people are generally not keen on advertising, but I have done a fair bit of work, and registered the site with two advert suppliers.

For now there will only be adverts on the front page, and on the forum pages.

I hope these adverts do not prove to reduce your enjoyment of the site or make it any less useful, with any luck, you may even find an advertised product useful!?

;)

I will be monitoring this closely, if they prove to be beneficial, and MINI2 users do visit the advertisers then they will remain and help keep the site running, if they prove to not generate income, then of course they will go.

Thank you.

Paul

:)

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's something that had to be done to support your operation of the site.

No problems with it here!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
sdmidget said:
It's something that had to be done to support your operation of the site.

No problems with it here!
Ditto! :)

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Its great that the site is now sponsroed, anything that is good for the site, is good for us members! Keep up the good work m8.

I don't see how anybody will be bothered by it, cos its gonna be beneficial to the site!

If the y don't like it TOUGH they can get LOST, we don't want ppl in on this site if they son't want it to benefit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry just had to get that out, feel alot beter now hehehe!

Some of the adds have been good! Might visit just for the heck of it so the site gains money :)

Cheers m8

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good idea with the ads paul,

Out of interest how does MINI2 get paid the money? Do we only have to click on the site for it to register, do we have to be in the site for a certain length of time.

And finally cos I am a nosy git, how much does each 'hit' earn the site.

With thousands of people on here, several hits each a day, at say 10 pence a time. You could retire and become a sleeping executive.:D :D :D

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I aint got a problem with them
At the end of the day we will be the people that benefit from them if anything :)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I'm clicking already!

As long as they're not pop up ads I think people will have no complaints..

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree monsta, as long as they're not pop-ups who cares. It's a good way to keep the site going and I think I can deal with a page taking an extra couple of seconds to load:p :p :p

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
I've always wondered how deep your pockets were Paul.;) ;)

If they can be a use for our members on here I'm all for it.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
monsta said:
As long as they're not pop up ads I think people will have no complaints..
I would be lying if is I said I was not sad to see the adverts on the site. One of the reasons I enjoyed Mini2 so much was that you could get away from stuff like banner ads that seem to plague the web these days. But unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and money does not go on trees.

So as Monsta said, as long as they are not those annoying pop up ads I have no complaint.

It is a shame the site could not run on some scheme by which members have free access for a months and then after that they have to pay an annual membership fee. As long as it is a nominal fee, I have no doubts that people would pay. That way we could do away these ads and ensure Paul has the money he needs to keep this site running.

Just a thought :)

LMB:D

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LMB said:

It is a shame the site could not run on some scheme by which members have free access for a months and then after that they have to pay an annual membership fee. As long as it is a nominal fee, I have no doubts that people would pay. That way we could do away these ads and ensure Paul has the money he needs to keep this site running.

Just a thought :)

LMB:D
I have serious doubts that people would pay, even though we are pretty much a club/magazine/MINI library all in one, because it's online people EXPECT it to be free. Subscription services tend to fail, and I don't want to block out those who cannot afford to pay either.

The donations help a lot, but the take-up is low. The adverts take nothing more than an interested person to click on them to give a small ammount to the site.

We'll see how it goes! No POP-UPS EVER!!

The merchandise is a must though, it helps raise money, and also offline awareness of the site... :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
No problems with ads from me

Paul, also my support for for your decision...a fact of internet life and goes to maintain a web-site that has kept me sane whilst waiting 15 months for the mini2...

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul,

I agree that it seems sadly, the level (and I mean numbers not value) of sponsorship from members is probably more than a little dissapointing, and if you forced a fee on membership the site would simply cease to exist.

My USD ( :) ) donations will continue to this site regardless of the sponsorship banners above.

I have mentioned it in a couple of threads already, and some members have approached me directly about levels of donations. Suffice to say, if you multiply a little by the 1500 and growing members here it will turn into something that could help out considerably.

Can I also say this as a member of this site, and I'll stop beating the drum thereafter.

A lot of members here have paid upwards of 11,000 quid for their MINI's, and others have MINI's on order. If you consider this site has been of help to you, either to pass away a drunken evening in laughter, or more practicaly helped you with a problem or a query you had with your current or future MINI (or Type-R for that matter), consider giving back something to the site that made it possible.

Thanks

:)

See my PayPal thread in the "Site Feedback" area

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
You have my complete support. If it keeps this site running (and you from skipping meals to pay the bills) I'm all for it!!!

Thanks Paul.
-Mike

PS: I'm really glad you don't like pop ups!! :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
How do the adverts work?

Is money paid just for clicking on the advert, or do you have to click on a few links within the advert site to make it a "visit" as opposed to just a "hit"?

Maybe a dumb question, maybe not......

kjs

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problem at all with the ads in principle - though one from BMW or associated company might just undermine the independence that makes this site so valuable!

Unfortunately, while there are people who would donate to the site, most wouldn't - there is this deep rooted feeling that stuff on the web should be free. I notice Motorcycle Online has now gone subscription only having tried fruitlessly to get visitors to donate for the last couple of years or so.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just 'visited' the Hyundi site 52 times:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts