MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Is it typical to need new brake pads for my 4 door hardtop Mini Cooper S at just under 13k miles? The car will turn one year old next month. Have never needed brake pads on a car this quickly before. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2003 Mini Cooper S R53 JCW
7 Posts
usually you need to change your brake pads every 40k to 100,000 Kilometres. If you need to change your brake pads this early then I recommend either coming off the brakes a tad or possibly getting better brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
Just changed the front pads on my Cooper at 12000 miles. Its an auto and driven in town by my wife a lot but even so, I was surprised. They still had 4mm left but the warning triangle was lit accompanied by a mega-annoying bed beep beep every few minutes. Even more annoying, the beeping won't go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again everyone. Update as of 10/18/21:

At 14k miles (38,624 km), this MiniCooper 4dr hardtop (with manual trans) needed new rear brake pads. Service center said the brake pads were at 2 mm, while manufacturer's minimal operating measurement is set at 3 mm.

As an aside, was informed it is not covered by warranty due to it being a "wear and tear" issue. It will turn "one year old" with me next month.
I am posting this from Brembo's website in case it could be helpful to someone else:

"Brake discs and brake pads are the heart of the braking system and their perfect working efficiency is reflected in the active safety of the vehicle. However, a brief period of running-in is needed (approximately 300 km) from when the brake discs and brake pads are replaced. During this period, the driver should make brief, soft braking movements to allow the surfaces of the brake pads in contact with the brake discs to align correctly. A poor running-in period could cause the components to wear down irregularly and compromise the performance of the braking system." Maintenance of the braking system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts