MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals! i've recently purchased an ex demo Clubman Cooper D. Absolutely love the car and spec etc (i'll do a full write up at the weekend). However i've got an issue with regards fitting a towbar. Any ideas or help would be great.

When i purchased the car from Mini in Chesterfield they were quite aware that i was to fit a towbar to it as it came up numerous times and I had already checked with a couple of towbar fitters and they do towbars for the clubman. I purchased the car and ordered the towbar etc. The guys who came to fit the towbar were struggling and eventually said that they wouldn't be able to fit a towbar due to the automatic boot sensor cabling which runs underneath the bumper. After organising another towbar from another fitter i had exactly the same issue. I was looking at around £450 for towbar and fitting so i was quite happy with this. I popped into Mini last night and enquired as to what my options are and they said that they would do me a towbar with 10% off including fitting for £1,300. yikes! £650 of which is labour for 7 hours work.

I'm not blaming anyone but obviously this has been quite a shock to the system and i need to attempt to find a solution that hopefully won't cost £1,300.

My first thought was to attempt to reject the car as i've only had the car 10 days and it's technically not fit for purpose as the salesperson at Mini was totally aware of my intentions and never mentioned that i would only be able to fit a towbar via them. I can't really blame the sales lady for not knowing but the towing capacity was the main reason we opted for this over the 5 door. I do love the spec of the car and it was at the right money but now i've got to add over a grand to the price of the car i'm a little miffed.

If anyone knows a Mini dealer that will supply and fit this for less money that would be awesome! Or if there is a way to disable or remove the auto boot sensor jobby as i'm never going to use it, it just happened to be part of the spec of the car.

I'm pretty much open to any ideas regarding this so i'm calling all mini guru's out there. help help help!

thanks alot guys...

Paul

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi

I fitted a tow bar to my 2010 Clubman at the weekend. It's a little older than your car but it did take me all day so 7 hours labour sounds about right. Mine needed wiring to the fuse box and the battery so most of the interior had to come out. I would have thought a mobile tow bar fitters would be cheaper per hour than a main dealer.

Have you tried pulling the fuse to the boot auto boot and see what happens? If no error codes come up then surely you can just unplug it and do without it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, October 2019 now, just bought a mini cooper I need a tow ball fitting for my cycle rack. Did you manage to find someone who would fit a towbar?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts