MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Not sure where to start. Been toldoweing a R53 is bad, but then see loads about quite a lot lower than mine.

What's the best new coilovers to go for, for ride and looks.

Also what else should I have to factor in changing if I swap the shocks out.

Cheers

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to kidnap the thread, but are there any coilovers that offer OEM height (or adjustment starting from 0, not only "low" and "lower")? - anything allowing me to setup height that is close to OEM in R53? I have a huge hump on the way to my home and I didnt think of it when buying a car equipped with lowering springs...

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Sorry to kidnap the thread, but are there any coilovers that offer OEM height (or adjustment starting from 0, not only "low" and "lower")? - anything allowing me to setup height that is close to OEM in R53? I have a huge hump on the way to my home and I didnt think of it when buying a car equipped with lowering springs...
No there aren't. At least I've not come across any.
How low is your car currently, with the lowering springs?
This is mine on APs, can go up a bit if required.

Attachments

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Hi,

Not sure where to start. Been toldoweing a R53 is bad, but then see loads about quite a lot lower than mine.

What's the best new coilovers to go for, for ride and looks.

Also what else should I have to factor in changing if I swap the shocks out.

Cheers

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
It is not 'bad' to lower an R53.
If you drop them a lot, yes it can be bad - as in dropping it as the 'stance' merchants do, which they think looks clever, cool and smart and destroys the ride, handling and probably the drive shafts as well. They usually like stretched tyres as well!

The least expensive acceptable coilovers in most people's view are APs. They are a KW UK product, their budget range. They are just height adjustable. I got them, road use, because they ride really well, much better than the horrible standard SS+, are comfortable and handle decently.

FYI, KW have 3 ranges - KW, ST and AP.
The internals of STs are identical to their equivalent KW version (see Shane Pitts refernec of KW V1s). Only difference is the KWs are INOX coated, which is a better anti-rust treatment than just galvanised. The other key difference is that they are a fair bit cheaper!!

I have APs fitted and have just bought an 'upgrade', a set of ST XAs which are the equivalent of KW V2s. They are top adjustable for rebound as well as the usual height adjustment.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
That's a big drop you are going to end up blowing your struts out. It happened to me I put some lowering springs and I dropped it 1.5 and I ended up blowing my rear shocks and front struts. So it's up to you it's going to cost you more in the long run

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.