MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is me first time posting here. I am from Hong Kong and I drive a very humble first generation Cooper Cabrio. Have been quite a lurker here and found this community with some extremely knowledgeable enthusiasts! Hong Kong also has its own mini forum, people are very nice, but sadly there isn't much going on often.

I never had the urge to post here before because I drive a bone stock mini, but today I finally found the time to go down to the shop and get the tires and rims changed!! :cool:

I was running with the 17" MCS wheels before and some Dunlop Sport Maxx tires, the tires were my main concern as it didn't have much feed back. My brother and others also recommended me to go back to 16" as the car's response would improve dramatically.

So I finally bite the bullet and swap the wheels. I fogot what the wheels are, they were the only ones the shop could find me with the right fitting and I just went with it. The tires are Toyo R1Rs, apparently they are quite good. I will have to wait and see as on my way home, traffic was everywhere! :angry:

The initial impression was quite strong though as I could feel the difference between 16 and 17 right away! The car picks up faster and the steering is a bit lighter. I only had a chance to try the tires for like 2 corners :puzzled: The sidewalls seemed quite a bit softer compared to the old ones, I need more time and road to see if the tires are really up to expectation. Anyone had experience with them tires?

Let me know what you think :p

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some better pics I took today with the sun out! :cool:

hopefully i get more feedbacks from you guys this time :tongue:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your cabrio looks lovely! Don't be afraid to post - there are plenty of people who have standard MINIs, doesn't mean you love it any less! Enjoy! :)

Thanks Nylo :)

Yes I love my car! I wanted to switch to an S too before swapping the wheels, but then family just bought 3 new cars; so no money :frown:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking very swish!

Do you have the same type of numberplates that we have in the UK in Hong Kong?
Thanks Hollin :)

We have a similar system I believe, afterall we were a UK Colony :p

The difference is for regular plates; it always starts with 2 letters, then the numbers (4 digits max). The really early plates have no letters in front and just numbers, from 1 to 4 digits; those can cost a fortune nowadays! A few months ago "29" went on auction and sold for somewhere around HK$7 million which equals to something like $500,000 quid :aargh:

Mine is a vanity plate which I think UK has also? Vanity plates can have a maximum of 8 letters/numbers (spacing included). Vanity plates need to be pre-approved by the transport dept. and then it would be put on auction for everyone to bid on it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks Hollin :)

We have a similar system I believe, afterall we were a UK Colony :p

The difference is for regular plates; it always starts with 2 letters, then the numbers (4 digits max). The really early plates have no letters in front and just numbers, from 1 to 4 digits; those can cost a fortune nowadays! A few months ago "29" went on auction and sold for somewhere around HK$7 million which equals to something like $500,000 quid :aargh:

Mine is a vanity plate which I think UK has also? Vanity plates can have a maximum of 8 letters/numbers (spacing included). Vanity plates need to be pre-approved by the transport dept. and then it would be put on auction for everyone to bid on it.
You learn something new every day!

I always thought you would have plates like they have in Japan etc!

We have a TV advert over here for HSBC bank, and that is going on about the number 8 and that shows a supposid numberplate auction for the number 8, which is on a UK plate, but I thought it was just a mock up. After all it's an advert for their 8% current account!

We have what are called Private Registrations over here, which you have to buy from the DVLA (our transport dept)

If you want to know more this site has quite a good explanation.

Number Plates and Private Plates.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You learn something new every day!

I always thought you would have plates like they have in Japan etc!

We have a TV advert over here for HSBC bank, and that is going on about the number 8 and that shows a supposid numberplate auction for the number 8, which is on a UK plate, but I thought it was just a mock up. After all it's an advert for their 8% current account!

We have what are called Private Registrations over here, which you have to buy from the DVLA (our transport dept)

If you want to know more this site has quite a good explanation.

Number Plates and Private Plates.

Sounds like you guys have a better system as you are not required to put the plates out for auction. The HK system is more about being fair to the public and your creativity won't get you anywhere, you also need to be prepared to dump big cash.. :frown:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sounds like you guys have a better system as you are not required to put the plates out for auction. The HK system is more about being fair to the public and your creativity won't get you anywhere, you also need to be prepared to dump big cash.. :frown:
Some more lucrative plates are auctioned off I do believe, that website is a company that sells private registrations. There are loads of companys over here like that, but they have a good explanation to our numberplate system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts