MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several weeks of keen anticipation, I finally picked up my 12month old Cooper S from the dealer.

You can no doubt appreciate the excitement of seeing my new baby gleaming in the sun as I drove in.

I walked up to the car before even entering the showroom and admired it, and then wondered how the petrol cap opens as I assumed it unscrewed looking at. I tried to turn it and found it flips open to reveal the cap. EEEEEEERRRRRRR the car is locked surely it shouldn't open I think to myself? I look closer and the solenoid locking pin is snapped off and obviously wasn't checked. I then take a look inside and see coffee stains on the silver trim of the steering wheel and on the centre console and the leather drivers seats is grubby and hasn't even been wiped let alone cleened. :frown:
Talk about gutted and deflated after my weeks of anticipation. In all fairness the saleman I dealt with was furious and stomped off to get the valeter and branch manager to come and apologise in person.

Having now got it home I've stood behind it and NOW noticed that one rear tyre on the drivers side is a completely different tread pattern to the other. The front and rear passenger tyres are the original Dunlop SP Sport 01 and the new one (drivers rear) is a Dunlop SP Sport 9000.
I have always understood that you should not mix tread pattern on an axle as wet braking particularly can make one tyre act in a completely different manner to the other.
Am I correct?

I've gone from being excited like a child to disapointment, and now feeling quite angry. The cherished Mini experience has been great, but seems the workshop is letting the entire operation down quite badly. :frown:

Fingers crossed that things get better from here on in. :redface:

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Which dealer was it? There is a Dealership Feedback section which you should perhaps use to name and shame the offending dealer.

Are they going to sort it out for you?

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
ooh - sorry to hear about that

Not the sort of thing that you want to happen when you pick up your new pride and joy :rolleyes:

Hope it gets sorted quickly and the dealer treats you well ;)

I would ask them to change that tyre as my experience is that the sport 9000s and the SP01's don't wear anywhere near the same and the SP01's have less grip.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sort of questioning my own sanity a bit at the moment as I could have sworn that when I test drove the car a few week ago and noticed that both rear tyres were new .............. i could have sworn that when I stood back and looked they both had the pronounced V grooves of SP Sport 9000's?? :puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

I must be going NUTS!! :redface:

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
Dealers switch things. ;)

My Cooper S arrived at the dealership with white mirror caps. When I went to see it and take it for a test drive, it had chrome mirror caps - they'd swapped the white ones for those as another customer wanted them.

I asked for white mirror caps to be fitted again prior to collection.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Id be worried about why the tyres are different, maybe a wheel was damaged or something? Seems quite bad really if its a brand new car..i bought a second hand cooper s and it was perfect inside, you couldn't tell it had been used before

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
After several weeks of keen anticipation, I finally picked up my 12month old Cooper S from the dealer.

You can no doubt appreciate the excitement of seeing my new baby gleaming in the sun as I drove in.

I walked up to the car before even entering the showroom and admired it, and then wondered how the petrol cap opens as I assumed it unscrewed looking at. I tried to turn it and found it flips open to reveal the cap. EEEEEEERRRRRRR the car is locked surely it shouldn't open I think to myself? I look closer and the solenoid locking pin is snapped off and obviously wasn't checked. I then take a look inside and see coffee stains on the silver trim of the steering wheel and on the centre console and the leather drivers seats is grubby and hasn't even been wiped let alone cleened. :frown:
Talk about gutted and deflated after my weeks of anticipation. In all fairness the saleman I dealt with was furious and stomped off to get the valeter and branch manager to come and apologise in person.

Having now got it home I've stood behind it and NOW noticed that one rear tyre on the drivers side is a completely different tread pattern to the other. The front and rear passenger tyres are the original Dunlop SP Sport 01 and the new one (drivers rear) is a Dunlop SP Sport 9000.
I have always understood that you should not mix tread pattern on an axle as wet braking particularly can make one tyre act in a completely different manner to the other.
Am I correct?

I've gone from being excited like a child to disapointment, and now feeling quite angry. The cherished Mini experience has been great, but seems the workshop is letting the entire operation down quite badly. :frown:

Fingers crossed that things get better from here on in. :redface:

That is really taking the p*ss:eek:. I mean they had put the car in the showroom like that - what about the person who drove the car in - why didn't they say anything?:confused::rolleyes: I mean if you are driving a car, you do tend to notice the steering wheel!:p At least the salesman showed his dissatisfaction with the staff and made the manager appologise in person.;) Sounds like you had a good salesman, but a crap dealer.

Again, the person who drove the car into the showroom would have known that the seats were grubby - why didn't he say anything? The locking pin is so small, it could easily have been missed, but then and again it is extremely easy to check - lock the car and pull on the cover.:)

Try and get matching tyres out of the dealer! After all, it is a safety issue, however, your dealer, or stealer as this one should definitely be called, could argue that for the purposes of road-worthiness, your car clarifies and would pass an MOT.

Name and shame the dealer with pride - at the end of the day, if they say anything, just turn round and say well if it bothers you that much, why treat me in that way. You brought it on yourself.

You do not deserve service like that. I hope that they gave you compensation - about £250 in vouchers for accessories, (if your car doesn't have TLC, get them to service the car for free next time, but ensure you get it in writing!;))

Hopefully, this will be the end of your trauma:), but I certainly wouldn't take your car back to that dealer - find another. If thats how they present a car to a customer who is picking it up after buying it, imagine how you are going to feel after they service your car (or just reset the counter!).

Seriously name and shame the dealer both here and in the dealer feedback section!;)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a good drive tonight and love the car!!! :biggrin: :nice: :biggrin:

I found the locking wheel nut key clanking around loose in the foam tray that holds the jack, so I guess its been used recently and not put back properly. It fits quite tight in it proper slot and unlikely to come out of its own accord. :hmph:

I'll stress agin that the sales and admin side has been excellent, the workshop seems to be the weak link.

The Valetor had parked the car in the car park which is where it was parked when I picked it up. I saw the car before the sales staff so in fairness they hadn't seen the state of it inside.

I'll have a 'chat' will the dealer 1st thing tomorrow and see what their attitude is towards the wheel situation before bad mouthing them.

I feel its the way a dealer deals with a problem that shows its true nature. I was promised faithfully that the fuel lock will be fixed by Saturday and the car will be checked thoroughly again for any other possible faults.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Had a good drive tonight and love the car!!! :biggrin: :nice: :biggrin:

I found the locking wheel nut key clanking around loose in the foam tray that holds the jack, so I guess its been used recently and not put back properly. It fits quite tight in it proper slot and unlikely to come out of its own accord. :hmph:

I'll stress agin that the sales and admin side has been excellent, the workshop seems to be the weak link.

The Valetor had parked the car in the car park which is where it was parked when I picked it up. I saw the car before the sales staff so in fairness they hadn't seen the state of it inside.

I'll have a 'chat' will the dealer 1st thing tomorrow and see what their attitude is towards the wheel situation before bad mouthing them.

I feel its the way a dealer deals with a problem that shows its true nature. I was promised faithfully that the fuel lock will be fixed by Saturday and the car will be checked thoroughly again for any other possible faults.

Well, you could argue that - wait until they sort your tyres and then name them - I'm sure no other members would want that experience. Plus if their workshop is bad, we need to know in order to avoid taking our cars there for service. Well, you should have had your coversation with the dealer, what did they say? If they are getting you new tyres, I can assume that you will want to wait until after they have given you them!;)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Dealers switch things. ;)

My Cooper S arrived at the dealership with white mirror caps. When I went to see it and take it for a test drive, it had chrome mirror caps - they'd swapped the white ones for those as another customer wanted them.

I asked for white mirror caps to be fitted again prior to collection.
Was your car new or used? I suppose you can argue that if your car was used, it is property of the dealer, and therefore, they can do anything they want with it - if they want the white mirror caps - they belong to the dealer and not you. Still, if you had paid / but a deposit on the car it is yours, an if it was new, its not what you ordered so they will have to put white ones on. Still, at least you are getting white mirror caps - what colour is the car and why didn't you want the chrome mirror caps?:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts