MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and girls as title stats I'm a new owner of a black cooper d, all my cars I have had before I have modified but don't worry not in a cheap chavey way. Below is a list of things I want to do to the d and just want your opinion on them

Full jcw bodykit
Full colour code
Leather recaro sportster seat
Lowering
Jcw r109 alloys but still debating
Tint rear windows
Could I fit a jcw Cooper s exhaust to a d or even any kind of centre exhaust.
Carbon fibre rep interior trim, wing mirrors and few other bits
Black the chrome around front n rear lights
Poss jcw brakes and callipers

Please let me know what you think or you have any other mods they may suit it looking at getting this done in the very near future can't stand driving around in a standard car that looks like others out there haha

Many thanks

Zac

·
Registered
35 Posts
A good way to improve any Turbo Diesel is to improve the way the engine breathes.
This can be done by using a hi flow air filter like the ITG so it sucks in more air.
Then you need to be able to push the air out the ex. faster, so a bigger exhausts is better than the stock ex.
This will give you more power and torque and should improve the fuel economy also.

Personally, I would do the performance mods before any bling mods.

Enjoy your car

Cheers, Will

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unlike petrol engines, turbo-diesels actually burn diesel in excess air anyway so improving the air flow doesn't really make any difference and bigger exhausts can potentially reduce the back pressure and decrease performance, especially on variable vane turbos.

Worth looking at the breathing when doing major mods, eg high flow injectors, etc, but for simple mods, I'd put the money elsewhere.

Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unlike petrol engines, turbo-diesels actually burn diesel in excess air anyway so improving the air flow doesn't really make any difference and bigger exhausts can potentially reduce the back pressure and decrease performance, especially on variable vane turbos.

Worth looking at the breathing when doing major mods, eg high flow injectors, etc, but for simple mods, I'd put the money elsewhere.

Chris
Thanks, I'll have to look into the Variable Vane Turbo thing but I know with my Isuzu Dmax 3.0L TDi an upgrade from stock ex. to a 3in. turbo back system with 1 hi-flow cat. convertor and vortex muffler (muffler optional on TD's as noise increase is minimal) there is an increase in power and torque of around 12% and fuel savings if you drive normally. See here...

http://www.taipanxp.com.au/dyno-report/RaCRDEMail.jpg

Also, back pressure on a normal turbo is not an issue as the turbo itself creates the back pressure.
I'll do some more research before I fork out for one on my Mini. I'm taking it to a local ex. shop soon for a quote. It will be there first Mini D but their countless BMW.

Will

·
Registered
55 Posts
Could I fit a jcw Cooper s exhaust to a d or even any kind of centre exhaust.
i think ive seen it done before, just weld a bracket to hand the centre back box, then when you get your JCW body kit just order the one for a cooper s,

unless theres a spare wheel or anything hanging under the car? i dont have a spare wheel on my dooper and ive had a quick look at it cos a centre exhaust is something id be interested in doing,

all though if i did that id want the cooper S bonnet and filler cap too, then i just thinking i may as well chop mine in for a cooper S lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Craig123
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing