MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the car 3 weeks, and now the "DSC not working light" is constantly on. Now up to 2 major and 4 minor faults, so build consistency doesn't seem to be improving.

Supports the "new feature = new fault" theory - part of life as a beta tester for BMW.

Back to the dealer again.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Is it good

Hay Mr T

Can you please tell us what you think of DSC (when it is working:D ). Is it of any use on a front wheel drive car? As i was thinking of getting it. Would you pay the extra again for it? Also when you turn off DSC does it also turn off the traction control? Or have you flick the switch again to turn the traction off as well.

Looking forward to your reply

Snoopy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't felt it operate yet, which is not hugely surprising given I've only had the car for 3 weeks and the bloody thing has stopped working!

Will let you know if it kicks in after they have fixed it.

As to whether it switches off traction control, don't know. Given that there is only one toggle switch I would assume so.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks Mr T Looking forward to you getting the DSC fix. Looks like I will have to wait with you on this one.:D

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DSC fault light stopped showing about halfway to the dealers (a bit like going to the doctor), and having checked the system and cleaned the sensors they don't know what caused it.

Looks like an intermittent fault which hopefully won't recur.

They also stopped the steering column squeaking by greasing one of the bushes, so bonus really.

So now I'll see if it kicks in noticeably - will post if it does to answer your question.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I saw a segment on Motorweek, Speed Channel about yaw control, stability systems, brakeforce distribution, cornering brakeforce control...

I guess BMW provided them with a lot of footage, because they showed two 3-Series following each other on the same course. Cornering on snow, slalom on snow, braking into a corner, accelerating out of a corner, etc...

It was the most impressive segment I have ever seen. The DSC III, EBD, ABS, CBD, ETC... car drove like it wasn't on snow, and the one behind it trying to keep up was loose, and plain spun off the course a few times.

My Grandmother's 3-Series has all the alphabet safety systems on-board, and I've often been quite impressed just how stable it is on slick surfaces, like, um, ice with a dusting of snow. Incredible, but I didn't ever turn it off as a comparison. Being in Canada, I am getting ASC+T on my car. I've learnt to drive RWD cars with nothing in the snow, but I figure that the DSC and a single fender cost about the same.

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
The electronic stability systems are good, but not perfect. I managed to spin my ML-320 (with the Mercedes ESP system) a couple of years ago on some sheet ice. I suspect that because I was in a very "neutral" stance (just coasting, really) the sensors didn't have enough to work with.

I think that if I had been on the throttle I would have been fine (I was anyway -- nothing around to hit). The demos I have seen (BMW, Mercedes, GM/Cadillac) have had the cars being driven almost normally, and I was "grannying" it to avoid a trip to the bodyshop (been there, done that :( ).

Chip H.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts