MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, Here are a couple of shots of the brand new GT Tuning/ Porsche 911 twin turbo
caliper front brake conversion for Mini's.The kit uses genuine calipers in sealed Porsche
boxes from the Porsche dealership. The Porsche discs are too puny at 322mm so we
use GTT design and made 341mm rotors.(nearly 13.5") These are vented and grooved in handed pairs.We do not use drilled rotors as they are prone to cracking.
They are 32mm (1.25") thick and bolt using 14 fasteners to the GTT anodised alloy bell. This too is purpose designed and made by GTT. Total runout per assembly <.001" (typical replacement discs are <.004") ! The design places the disc inboard as far as is possible allowing this kit to work with as many wheels as possible even with many 17" wheels. (not S lite rims). Kit includes GTT CNC milled caliper mounting hardware & kevlar pads. As you are never going to cook these brakes we are able to include a softer compound pad with loads of feel without risk of fade .Perfect for road & track.
I have used this setup on the track with slick tyres (10 sessions in one day) and is faultless. Another benefit is the power re -address's the front/ rear bias ,by pulling it forward a little. The standard setup has an unusually high bias to the rear.(not good IMO)
Best Regards Roland GT Tuning
ps Pics show kit with 17" wheels & 19" wheels.

Attachments

·
GTT........See Yah
413 Posts
Looks like a fantastic set up, majic question

How Much ??.........I have TSW 18" alloys I presume there will be no problem with fitting

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Miniboyblue ,
it is £1395+vat. (the calipers alone retail from Porsche at £800 inc vat)
Heres a couple more pics where you can see the size of the discs & calipers compared to
OE. The caliper is 300mm long (12")
Your wheels should be fine . Depends on offset and rim width as to whether a spacer
will be required. TBH the cars IMO need about a 30mm increase in front track width anyway to get it to turn in properly.Looks better too.

Stock Diameter =277mm GTT=341mm Increase 64mm!
Stock Disc Thickness =22mm GTT=32mm Increase 10mm!

Attachments

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks andeh,
Fitting is £100+vat . Again no problems with your wheels.
Regards Roland

·
Registered
295 Posts
mmmmmm......porsche brakes :cool:

If I had the money I'd snap your arm off for that brake set up, looks amazing too :D

I feel a group buy coming on............only joking :eek: :p :p :p

LB.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Roland - you've answered my prayers :D :D

What offset would you recommend for this application. My alloys are kerbed anyway and want to replace them. I would go for 18's, just need a low offset I would imagine, in the region of ET30 ?? - + maybe spacers to clear the calipers :confused:

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy Yes 17" SL's require min 5 mm spacers to clear the back of the spokes,however I now run 15mm spacers (by choice) due to the fact that as std. IMO the front needs bringing out more to get it wider than the back anyway. Most decent handling FWD's need at least 30mm wider front track than rear. Due to the lower offset on the SL's my car is effectivly 45mm (ish) wider at the front now than std! (good)

Alex. The problem with the 17" runflats,is that due to extra 'runflat capability' reinforcement
built in ,the internal diameter of the rim is decreased (compared to normal wheels) by some
margin.That is to say the thickness of the section is much greater. Most other wheels seem to be relatively standardised in that the ID of 17" wheels is the same.
Therefore the problem with these wheels is the iternal diameter rather than an offset
or OD issue.

Generally speaking the diameter needs to be 17" or greater.
Rim width idealy should be 7.5J or greater (at std or smaller offset)
Many 7J rims can also be used (eg the 7J by 17" OZ S/L's on our car shown), but spacers
are required, and should be lower offset than std, of which most are anyway.
Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Scoopman, they wont fit with 17" S Lite runflat rims. But havnt tried the other OE
17" rims. What we can do , is always try one of your wheels (or anyone else's)
on our car first. Only takes 10 mins so no problem to find out.
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
LOBSTER!
337 Posts
very very very nice!!!

im geting the 18" JCW rims do u reacon theyll fit them or do i need a spacer for the thickness of the cal??

inc. wat about the rear have u done nething to them cuz i think thell look a bit weedy compared to the pors cal?!!!

money isnt an option cuz im lookin at the brembo,AP Racing and JCW brake upgrade

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a general rule 7J will need spacers 7.5J or 8J wont. This is dependant on offset though.
Do you know what 'J' width and offset the 18" JCW rims are?
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Criky they sit even more inboard than S Lite 17" then . Any decent size 4 pot is going to need spacers with that. Why couldnt they choose something that was about 35-38 offset
and 7.5 J .It would look and handle so much better.
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
Registered
48 Posts
Porsche vs Brembo

I know that Porsche and Brembo have the reputation for having the best brakes out there.

So, is this Porsche kit overall superior to the Brembo kit? Any idea of price in USD? Do yall have a MINI website up yet?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts