MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
LOBSTER!
337 Posts
can i just ask..

"How is the brake fluid reservoir big enough to take the extra pots in the caliper? (considering the size of the caliper!!) and the pressure of the extra pots in the Cal can the standard master cylinder in the mini produce the required pressure for the right kinda braking for them calipers? if not isnt it better to got for brembo who has desinged a brake upgrade for the minis that wont blow the master cylinder up costing more money?"

me bro has up rated brakes in his saxo vtr (AP Racing 6pot cal) and they had to put a new reservoir and master cylinder in to produce the required pressure and it now rips your face off when you apply the brakes HARD!! :D :D

one of his m8ts has a golf and had 10 pot calpers (MAD!!!) and he had to keep toping the brake fluid up and after about 5000 miles his master cylinder gave up!!

just wondering cuz that is alot of money for something (to me!!) that prob wont work in the way that they was desinged for?!?

not trying to start a fight m8 just trying to consider my options before i pay! :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi, the Brembo kit uses a much smaller and lower spec caliper. Brembo will not have
designed this caliper specifically for the Mini. It will be one they already produce.
What they will have done is designed some extender brackets to make it fit. The kit
I have seen uses a one piece steel disc X drilled. This is much lower spec, smaller & cheaper to produce than using a 14 fixing seperate alloy bell designed from scratch for the Mini as ours is. Regarding reservoir size ,the Minis is quite large,if you start on the max line,the pads will still run out before it hits the minimum line, so no worries there. I am sure we have probably put at least as much development & testing to this kit as Brembo (on the Mini), including alot of race track testing using a Pro test driver. The Brembo kit is fine (& cheaper I know) but the GTT kit has far superior& bigger calipers & discs. The GTT kit is designed to be the best kit for the job.
Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
BTW There is FREE fitting on this kit until end Feb. (as per price in our ad in latest
Go-Mini mag). :)
Best regards Roland GT Tuning

·
Registered
444 Posts
According to the Minilite website the offset and backspacing are as follows:
Wheel Size Part No. Offset Backspace
17"x7" EV2000-1770 33-65mm 136-168mm
17"x7.5" EV2000-1775 38-71mm 148-180mm

Still think the 7.5's and only 7.5's will fit? ...Sure wish wheel companies published an I/D (inner diameter) measurment along with the other info.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good point,as it happens most (of the ones Ive checked) wheels have an ID just behind the spokes where the caliper sits, of 392mm plus/minus 2mm. (17" rims).Our caliper sits at
a maximum radius point of 193mm (diameter of 386mm). Of course the run flat rims are a law unto themselves!
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
Shopping
740 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Anyway you can get them without having the words Porsche on them.

I mean whats the point we all drive minis.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes I can't see the point of having "Porsche" on the brakes either - Brembo etc OK as the are a brake manufacturer, why not have JCW instead and no worries about any future problems / warranty???

·
Doktor Ayam
19 Posts
hi roland, as you pointed out that the porsche calipers wont fit the 17" S lite, have you tried fitting it on the R90 wheels?

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi G, yes it will but because the GP wheels are high offset a 15mm or 20mm spacers will be required. This sounds alot but puts the wheels no further out than a more conventional low offset wheel (eg ET37mm) in combination with a 5 or 6mm spacer. More track width improves cornering speed so is good.
Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Stopping power !

Click to enjoy the detail...

:nice:

Cheers,
K.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts