MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, here are pics of the brand new GTT 2nd Gen (r56 etc) Aerobox Strutbrace. Colours include clear patina, blue, black, red and NEW pepper white...all at no extra cost. The brace is even more substantial than our very popular R53 Strutbrace..the end pans are 50% thicker and the cross beam 20% deeper. Brace comes with all hardware (ie bolts and spacers) . Now using 8 point fixing ! this brace stops chasssis flex like no other.....compression , stretching twisting actions are all prevented, giving you probably the single best handling improvement to any Mini.
Can be fitted DIY in 5-10 minutes..no mods required. Clearance is excellent to.
Price is £249+vat, however the FIRST 20 will be available at £229+vat.
To order please tel 01258 455545 or email your details (not pm). We accept all major credit/debit cards. We have 5 on the shelf and 15 more almost complete......delivery 2-10 days.
full handling report to follow shortly.
Hope you like it :smile:...best regards Roland GTT

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I would be interested in anyone's comments of the value of a strut brace to me. I only have a (non-S) Cooper on genuine Toy Town 15" wheels, but it's a R57 convert and my fastest driving is done on really rough Northumbrian roads ('mauvaise route' and a bit more...) where scuttle shake ain't no stranger.

Andrew

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi, thanks for the comments. We havnt tried one with Alta airbox, but it clears the larger/ taller JCW factory (211bhp car) on our car well, and of course the normal R56 airbox.
The Cooper will benefit just as much as the the S , the important thing is chosing a brace that actually works....most do next to nothing simply because there is no integral rigidity in the brace ie ....too small cross section bar ....strength sapping bolt together construction.and limited mounting points. :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I trust this will also fit the JCW stage 1 air box?

Its different to the Factory JCW and standard Cooper S box. ;)

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi, yes im pretty sure it will (but not tried this one yet) ..we compared our factory JCW box to the '193bhp JCW upgrade' air boxes yesterday....box is the same size but doesnt have a MAF meter.....(just a flanged 'MAF delete' pipe....therefore doesnt even have have to clear the connector plug on the MAF of the factory JCW's. Stock R56 has much smaller airbox , so again is fully compatible.
Best Regards Roland GTT:)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
OK - well if you can give me the guarantee that it will fit the JCW Stage 1 upgrade airbox you will have my deposit by the end of next week. :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Roland, another question.....

My long term plans *might* include the DDM works RIC.

This pic shows the air box and bonnet scoop attatchment.

This pic shows the airbox itself:

I'm guessing that the GTT brace would not be compatible with this kit? Its not a big deal, because this is only an idea at the moment. :)

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DRIVING ! Well I continue to be blown away by the improvemrnt this makes to the handling. Even after over a week on the car now the difference can be felt immediately...any conditions...even when your not thinking about it. ...it reminds you that its fitted. The other day I had 'forgotten' it was on the car but I kept thinking 'this is handling very good today'..then i remembered it was on the car!
IMPROVEMENTS.....there are many but the 4 that I notice the most in order are:-
1) A lot less tugging /twitching of the steering wheel under accceleration. it allows the hands to be more relaxed ....small ripples in the road under WOT acceleration no longer tugging the wheel.
2) rattles....in essence theyve all gone apart from the buzz in the drivers door. The car feels 'new' again......quiet like the day we took delivery.
3) Pulls up squarer under hard braking....less correction.
4) cornering ....less correction required.

I even took the brace off for a day to ensure none of this is placebo effect...it wasnt...the brace is now back on! :)
Remember to keep all 8 fixing bolts tight, retighten after a couple of days...this mkes a big difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Remember to keep all 8 fixing bolts tight, retighten after a couple of days...this mkes a big difference.
interesting to read your feedback having driven the car for a while with it fitted... but do you need to keep checking the 8 fixing bolts or is this something you do just after fitting?

·
Loving his JCW!!!
273 Posts
Hi roland. I've sent you an email through your website to order one of these stunning braces. Cheers, Rogan

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thank for the order Rogan....will be with you tommorow.
Retightening only needed once .
Fitment is very easy..
1) With car on the ground remove the 2 nuts (13mm socket) either side forwardmost on the strut towers, and also the 2 bolts (13mm) socket, that hold the black subframe.
2) Place strutbrace in position (may need a light push /tap with butt of hand)...NB the large jubilee lip that holds indution hose to MAF may need rotating round 90 degrees to put the 'buckle' to one side.
3) Replace the 2 original nuts either side (but do not tighten yet)
4) Slide the GTT long spacers into position under the brace and insert the new Allen head bolts supplied. Use a 6mm allen key/ socket bit to do up.
5) Finally tighten all the nuts and bolts (8 in total).
6) Job finished. :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Roland I will definitely be having one of these from you - but I've been hit for new tyres this month so my plans and funds have been scuppered somewhat. :(

·
Loving his JCW!!!
273 Posts
Received and fitted the brace today to my R56 JCW. It s FANTASTIC! I has the JCW one but this is so much better. I didn't expect this, but accelerating hard in the JCW on a bumpy b-road, the steering tug is all but eliminated. It shocked me how much better the steering is with this thing. That and the look of it more than justifies the price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts