MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, furthering a question yesterday from an M2 user as to 'Was it possible to offer some sort of GTT upgrade for JCW filter owners?'
We have come up with this, a kit that;-
(A) Replaces the restrictive JCW paper element with the same 'High Flow' cotton guaze element used on the GTT Cold Ram Kit.
(B) Replaces the metal blanking plate :eek: on the end of the JCW filter with an additional 'Reticulated Foam ' filter; This results in increased surface area AND more direction possibilitys for the air to enter from.
(C) An element that can be cleaned & re-oiled when dirty rather than having to buy a new one.
In the last pic (sad face drawn on) you can see that JCW blank the round inlet from the scuttle area to the lower airbox that stock box cars are blessed with. I would advise remove this too. In essence below 4500rpm the stock box has more venting into the airbox than the JCW !
In our earlier filter comparison thread ,this bung was removed, so I inadvertantly gave the JCW another small advantage in the test !.

The hybrid upgrade does not have the internal rampipe that the GTT Cold Ram Kit has,nor is the airbox as large,but still ,I am expecting a worthwhile improvement with the 'GTT/JCW Hybrid' over the JCW. I will test later for pressure drop (restriction) using the vacuum guage as per previous method
Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thats great news!

I removed my blanking plug from my JCW airbox before I had your conversion done!

I would be very interested in your mod if the results show a good improvement.

12,000 miles and getting faster! Thanks Roland.:D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The blanking plate sits inside a fold in the rubber gater between the airbox and the plastic engine bay shroud.

If you remove the air box its very easy to pop out, im not sure if it will pop out with the airbox inplace, perhaps with the top removed?

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
Why do JCW fit the blanking plug, when it is not on the standard unit? It seems pointless JCW fitting this bung if it is not going to be a positive thing doing so. (Although I can't think of an obvious reason)
Just my odd thought.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
matfrost said:
Why do JCW fit the blanking plug, when it is not on the standard unit? It seems pointless JCW fitting this bung if it is not going to be a positive thing doing so. (Although I can't think of an obvious reason)
Just my odd thought.

Induction roar and the need to pass drive by noise testing. :) as it happens the testing is only conducted at a RPM's when flat is closed.;)

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Guys some test results. Weve just been out on some very muddy :aargh: back roads testing at WOT in third & forth at 6500rpm.
Pressure drop for the JCW/GTT Hybrid filter element upgrade was -0.8psi.
This is marginally better than I expected which shows that hideous metal capped paper element is losing power.Because the results are IMO very worthwhile we will definately include this as a new GTT product . Initially we will offer them as a 'supply & fit' service,later on we will offer as a DIY kit with full fitting instructions. The kit (parts) include the blue cotton gauze element, the reticulated foam secondary 'end cap' filter ,the alloy clamping disc and the 3 S/S tension springs . In fitting the kit the only mods to the airbox itself are the 3 small holes in the front end of the airbox lid where the 3 springs need to hook onto.Not visable unless your realy looking for it ;we can even paint the ends of springs black where they poke through if you like! Regards Roland :smile:
Pics coming.........

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The element has a built in O ring type sealing surface that moulds (within reason) to contour changes. We did check in a darkroom (the toilet :eek: )by shining a maglite from outside in & inside out to see if any light (gap) existed, and was ok. However we may put a small localised smear of silicon sealant right in the corner for a belt & braces fit.
Regards Roland:smile:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
roland2003 said:
The element has a built in O ring type sealing surface that moulds (within reason) to contour changes. We did check in a darkroom (the toilet :eek: )by shining a maglite from outside in & inside out to see if any light (gap) existed, and was ok. However we may put a small localised smear of silicon sealant right in the corner for a belt & braces fit.
Regards Roland:smile:
Looking good ;)

Any idea how much it's likely to cost?

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think TonyT3 does too,youv'e found the thread he was searching for !:D
Regards Roland GTT:smile:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts