MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thought id introduce my self.. .

My names Jason, live in Berkshire and work for Hewland Engineering in Maidenhead.

Been driving a diesel Grande Punto for the last 2 and half years, due to living so far from work but just recently moved closer so decided to swap the car.. .

So this saturday i picked up a 52 plate Mini Cooper S with 31k on the clock
Got all the usual stuff on it, chilli pack, 17's xenons etc
Also got the glass roof, digital climate control and extra guages behind the cup holders.. .

Am quite impressed with the car so far, the fuel economy is a bit of a shock coming from a diesel but the noise more than makes up for it!

Attached some photos below but will take some better ones at some point.. .

One thing that is irritating me at the moment tho is the trim around the sunroof controls rattles a bit and vibrates, is there anyway of stopping this?

Attachments

·
:: 32mpg woo! ::
1,023 Posts
Hey Jason,

Welcome to MINI2!!:D

Nice looking S you have there, I'm liking the mileage too, I wish mine was still reading those sorts of numbers!!:p

It must be quite a change from the Grande Punto, I know what you mean about the noise of the S though.. I'm still as addicted to mine as the day I got it:D

I'm not sure about the sunroof rattles as I've not got one, but I'm sure someone on here will know:D

Enjoy:cool:

Mark.

·
ECMC Addict
801 Posts
Hey Jason,
Nice loooking car . Congratulations on the step up from FIAT, Like Serby says the mileage is great, I thought I had a result when I bought my S recently (o4 plate done 21k), but your is even better for the age.
Enjoy the whine and roar, at least petrol has gone down recently.

Mark (another one)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jason,

Welcome to the Dark Silver MCS gang! I can guarantee you won't get bored of you car (T&C apply!)

The problem with the MCS is the suspension tends to rattle things loose which requires taking trimming off to fix. There was a brilliant story on here that I can't find about a dealer selling a MCS and saying they all rattle....not the best salesman ship!

Best I can say is spend a weekend taking your car apart to find the rattle and stick it all together!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did notice on the way to work this morning if i tilted the sun roof up it stopped rattling, so guess i will be taking the sunroof trim apart on saturday!

Thanks for the welcome messages

I dont think im gonna get bored of the whine any time soon! Just thinking of ways to make it louder! heh

·
Registered
49 Posts
congrats looks nice. rattles on teh sunroof is easy. open the sunroof and you'll see the two air guard flaps, stick some ricky fabric or something on it. i used the pads that you put on the feet of furniture to protect hard wood floor.

works a treat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info i did think about it being those air flap things!

Will have to take a look on saturday when i have some free time in the day light

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome!

Hello!!

I live in Slough so might see you around! I've got a dark silver 2002 MSC too! it's done about 28,000 miles.

I also average poor MPG during the working week....

well worth it though :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
20mpg is good haha!

It is impossible to drive it slowly, and not really worth buying it if you do! You'll grow to just accept the milage, and probably become great friends with your local petrol garage attendents!!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
me too DS 52 plate MCS with 75k and still going.... just wait till you hit the tuning circles and whack it up to 240+ bhp .... you'll cry then when you see your consumption up the drag strip and tracks ... LOL

Enjoy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heh i do wanna mod it.. .

After xmas im thinking about modding it with pulley, IC, etc

For now i'll probably lower it a bit on Eibach springs and put a GTT or something similar induction kit on it.. . Not sure which induction kit to get right now tho, any opinions?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
JCW is nice and OEM and gives results especuially with either an ITG filter or GTT insert. The GTT is also good, and if you moddify it the alta is very very loud! ;) :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heh dont worry about it, most ppl call me Bob online!

Cheers Serby will have a look at that video later and may well order one tonight!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi, And welcome to the MINI adventure. Here too an 02 MCS dark silver owner.
Currently reaching 60K miles...bought it at 42K 12months ago just cant stop driving her :)
So adictive! The Sunroof rattle I have finally exstinguished!!

As you say the noise is coming from the switch console, this was the same as mine. I started lubing all the inards of the switches and surrounding area, to NO avail.
Until on one of my lunchbrakes at work (30 minutes..but finish @ 1-30pm friday :) )

I paded the underneath and top part of the reflectors...and hey "p€resto" noise has gone...I was so chuffed finishing work and driving home wothout that enoying rattle yipee!!
Especially after hearing horror stories of it being the sunroof cassette :( that would have been exspensive!

I truely love this car, never managed to buy anything over an 02 back then as prices were strong.
But I can be proud of owning one of the first S`s and being an ex MINI Mania machine I was lucky to have a nice setup including theire cold air intake, and reduced pulley setup...it really is quick.
These are very reasonable priced mods to jump the car right over 200BHP* and that supercharger makes an even louder whine!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts