MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just watching a rerun of the greatest show ever , seinfeld. during the show there was a honda CRV commercial. it showed the CRV in a sort of show "kind of like a dog show or horse show". it was driving around a grass indoor stadium with other SUVs, all with no drivers. kind of like they were horses showing off for the judges. then they showed 1-2-3 place and of course the honda CRV won 1st. then as the commercial was ending the voice said "now for the toy car class". as the voice spoke a red mini look-a-like rolled in. and it REALLY looked like a mini.

whats that all about. the only thing a CRV beats the mini in is being boring and having zero style. are the CRV and the mini even in the same class? that was just making fun just to make fun. and whats with calling the mini a toy car.

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Eh, it's all in good fun. I think it's a hilarious commercial. The ad isn't even really targeted at people who would consider buying a MINI so it's no big deal. And it does say "And now something everyone loves, the toy class." See! Everyone loves MINIs! :D

·
Alpinamike
96 Posts
I Will Help You Out!!!

Well its not a Mini , But IT IS A BMW, you should recognize it as a BMW Isseta, I hope i spelled that right, door opens in the front, BMW's atempt at a mini like car(Three Wheels 70 hp motor. The first car is a old Jag. From the early 90's , one of the racing Jag. $100,000 car. Hope this Helps. CRV should be in the cheap SUV class. ---------alpinamike

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
In California we have a CRV tagged onto the price of soda cans. Its abbreviation stands for California Redemption Value. It has to do with recycling soda cans. So does that mean it's value is no more than a empty soda can :D ? I think so.
Tavis1 :red:

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is an issita!!! i looked it up and thats what it looked like. very interesting. what is this issita BMW created before the mini. how weird.

·
Registered
765 Posts
After WW11 BMW started making these little "Bubble" cars with a front opening door and a motorcycle engine. The head of British Motor Corp (Leonard Lord?) hated them and instructed Alec Issigonis to design a small vehicle no more than 10 feet long that would carry 4 adults and be fuel efficient - to drive the bubble cars off the road - hence the Mini was born in 1959.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
sounds to me like honda are trying to associate their car with the mini in an attempt to gain some of its appeal

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Hat said:
sounds to me like honda are trying to associate their car with the mini in an attempt to gain some of its appeal
And that was what was said exactly in the ad board meeting. Guilty by association! Good spotting!

·
Registered
126 Posts
you don't have to give them any real info....
I just gave them the first four letters of the alphabet for my info and it worked fine.
last thing I need is more spam.

·
I will crush you
555 Posts
My parents have an 02' CR-V. They actually aren't that bad. Based on the Civic, 2.4L
I-4, 160hp. They get around 23 MPG on avg. I'm not big on the styling but the interior is quiet and comfortable. It's good for hauling people and junk around but its not that fun to drive (although theirs is a 5-speed manual so it helps).

·
just add water!
47 Posts

Attachments

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
that's the car Urkel drove (from Family Matters). When I got my first MINI (a CR/W MC) my aunt called me Mrs. Urkel when I pulled up to their house.

·
Registered
35 Posts
urkel's car!

when i saw the commercial late one night after recording a favorite tv show. i usually fast forward through all of the commercials until i saw what looked like a mini MINI. then when i rewound and saw the entire thing and a better look at the car i knew i had seen it from somewhere...family matters, the tv show from way back in the 90s.:) good think i live on the ground floor in my apt because it was 2am and i was jumping up and down because i haven't seen those cars since...well, since that episode of 'family matters' when it came on. ha,ha,ha! i wonder if they are still around...probably a total hazard and illegal to drive around in the States.:) thanks for finding out the name of it! it was frustrating me because i used to know what it was called but it wouldn't come out...

agent_spacemonkey
"did i do that..." :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Isetta

As a kid one of our neighbours had an Isetta, the funniest thing I ever saw was when he wanted to do any service on it he would roll it on its side on the grass. Perfect for getting at the underside to change the muffler.
BTW I had a '65 Morris 850 Mini at the time, rear brakes were seized most of the time I owned it but didn't seem to make a difference though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts