MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'm being pressured to take the company car option for my work. Plus the cost of tyres, tax, insurance and a recent run of bad luck after twatting my S into a column it is costing me much more to run than I hoped, so I fear we may have to part company.

All is not lost though as the new JCW with Chilli pack fits within my lease budget as a company car, and the low emissions make it comparable in tax to a powerful diesel.

But I have to figure out if the fuel costs are going to be a factor. My 02 S is frankly crap on fuel, averaging 30mpg overall, much much less around town.

If the quoted 40mpg is a bit optimistic I fear I will probably go down the route of a BMW 120d coupe or Audi A3 S Line Quattro, both about the same spec, lease price and tax liability and able to give 45-50mpg averages (I know a 320d can do the same).

Just how good in real life is the new model on fuel compared to the supercharged JCW's? Any feedback from new owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The new Cooper S (non JCW) will achieve 40 mpg, on a combined run ;)

The new JCW performs (despite the claims) on par with an old R53 MCS, so normal driving will give you 30mpg - 20mpg if driving hard, and 35mpg if driving like a saint ;).

·
Registered
889 Posts
The new Cooper S (non JCW) will achieve 40 mpg, on a combined run ;)

The new JCW performs (despite the claims) on par with an old R53 MCS, so normal driving will give you 30mpg - 20mpg if driving hard, and 35mpg if driving like a saint ;).
I reckon you could get more

I can get 45 mpg in my R56 s Works if im really restrained and 35 if having quite a bit of fun . Imagine Factory works virtually the same

Surely the new Works is much faster than old R53 MCS ??- better chssis and getting the power down! Has same reoported peformance as old R53 JCW GP doesnt it?

Re car choice Go for the mini - you will be a happier person with one!

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
I reckon you could get more

I can get 45 mpg in my R56 s Works if im really restrained and 35 if having quite a bit of fun . Imagine Factory works virtually the same

Surely the new Works is much faster than old R53 MCS ??- better chssis and getting the power down! Has same reoported peformance as old R53 JCW GP doesnt it?

Re car choice Go for the mini - you will be a happier person with one!

I have had my new works for a little over a month now covered 2700 miles and average on the comp is 37.8mpg which is not bad concidering my driving style a little hevy on the boot at times but not overly so...

WD

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have had my new works for a little over a month now covered 2700 miles and average on the comp is 37.8mpg which is not bad concidering my driving style a little hevy on the boot at times but not overly so...

WD
37.8 That is good considering what the car can do performance wise. The perfect car for today's world.........however I'm biased as getting one soon (beginning OCT)

Oh ....37.8 is that on superunleaded?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Of course its miles quicker..... was talking about fuel economy performance, not speed ;)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
'm being pressured to take the company car option for my work. Plus the cost of tyres, tax, insurance and a recent run of bad luck after twatting my S into a column it is costing me much more to run than I hoped, so I fear we may have to part company.

All is not lost though as the new JCW with Chilli pack fits within my lease budget as a company car, and the low emissions make it comparable in tax to a powerful diesel.

But I have to figure out if the fuel costs are going to be a factor. My 02 S is frankly crap on fuel, averaging 30mpg overall, much much less around town.

If the quoted 40mpg is a bit optimistic I fear I will probably go down the route of a BMW 120d coupe or Audi A3 S Line Quattro, both about the same spec, lease price and tax liability and able to give 45-50mpg averages (I know a 320d can do the same).

Just how good in real life is the new model on fuel compared to the supercharged JCW's? Any feedback from new owners would be appreciated.

Thanks
I would go with the R56 - you generally get out what you put in so if your sensible you will get good economy and as has been stated already you'll be a happier person with one!!

My R53 JCW is showing 35.7mpg ave on the comp. and having given it a bit of a stonking (not too bad though) i got 32mpg out of the last tank so if driven carefully good consumption can be had from the SC MCS... I use V-Power every tank by the way...

I would go for it as its a pretty good car to get as a company car! There are so many 120D and Audi A3 out there that you would be another one in the crowd - I understand there are a lot of MINI's but in my (biased) view they are a bit more special :)

Good luck :)

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
37.8 That is good considering what the car can do performance wise. The perfect car for today's world.........however I'm biased as getting one soon (beginning OCT)

Oh ....37.8 is that on superunleaded?
No not at all that is on the standard gumph from sainsburys to mr nomark......

WD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers peeps

My current car is a 200bhp JCW R53 - I'm not too bothered about the increased performance as the R53 is not exactly slow (although more speed is always good:D). But one of my main reasons for taking a company car is to save money on fuel.

I've all but ruled out an A3, seen loads of them today and they are really dull. I still quite like the 120d, but only the M Sport Coupe, not the bog standard 1 series.

The dilemma is I want a new JCW, company car tax on them is way cheaper than any other comparable car (such as Golf GTi, Focus ST, Civic Type R) but the draw of getting a genuine 45-50mpg from the BMW is very attractive.

For information company car tax for 40% earners on a JCW with chilli is £158 per month versus:-
The BMW 120d M Sport coupe is £149pm
The A3 quattro S Line 170 is £160pm
Focus ST - £197 pm
Civic type R GT (sat nav) - £210pm
Golf GTI DSG - £184pm
Mondeo 2.2TDCI titanium - £193pm
Just for fun - Mitsi Evo X FQ-360 - £448pm!!!

The JCW really is a great car from a tax point of view, plus being petrol If I can get 37mpg then thats the equivaent to over 40mpg from a diesel. Not that far off the 120d really.

OK I'm convinced.

I might squeeze a few more miles out of my R53 yet, but the JCW as a company car has got to be the one to go for. I'll have to get a few test drives under the belt in the meantime.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've owned 3 1 series over the past few years, 118d, 120d M and a 130 M all hatches not the coupe you've been looking at.
The 120d averaged 44-47 over the 9 months in ownership, great handling car but you don't get much in them with standard spec, however the seats and driving position are lot better than the Cooper S imo.
I've had my 08 Cooper S Clubman for a few weeks now and it's run on V Power over 700 miles to date.
The mpg has not dropped below 40 yet which has really really supprised me, best I've had is 44.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts