MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to forum so a quick introduction I'm Jason and have had my Hyper blue R53 Cooper S for maybe a year now and living in Western Australia made it pretty hard to find a non sunroof hyper blue with black interior 2005 S but by coincidence i found a decent example and sold off my WRX to get my hands on it.
So far it's been a build as I drive thing up until recently when I jacked her up for new Koni yellows and Eibach progressive rate springs,whiteline sway bars and links,and strut brace, then a set of adjustable front camber plates and a set of Rota grid 17 x 7.5 wheels with Yokohama 215 45 17 Advan Sport v105 tyres which are good but will end up on Michelins later.
I have also fit an APRacing big brake kit and decent rotors and pads for the rear along with some braided lines and good fluid and an Airtec intercooler and a mod of the factory air box to feed from cowl and a K+N filter among other things.
Then the power steering pump decided that 17 years was a long enough career and quit.. so new pump and lines and fan,
Bumper Bicycle part Bicycle frame Carbon Rim

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Grille Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Grille

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

and that was an experience but got it done in the end although it set me back unfortunately along with long waits on parts recently so until they arrive i have pretty much hit a wall.
Anyway here's a few pics..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice mods :) What made you sell the WRX for the R53?

It's not very often a nice R53 comes up for sale in Perth. I must have bought my JCW R53 about the same time as you, May last year, though I had to wait for a couple of months before it arrived from Melbourne (due to Covid delays) and another month waiting for a non cracked park light to arrive so it would pass the pits for rego. I bought it via Gumtree and never got to see it or drive it before I bought it.

Did you paint the Whiteline strut brace?

Those AP brakes look awesome, they look like they would work 100 times better than the stock JCW ones I have on mine. I wish I had gone for the Whiteline swaybar on the rear as I bought a Superpro one that was on special and painted it gold as I couldn't stand the blue colour. Ended up scratching half the paint off while trying to install it.

What are the Koni struts and Eibach springs like?

I have bought parts from Lohen in the UK and they arrived quite quickly and they even followed up with Cusco in Japan to get me a front & rear carbon brace. Other than that eBay was great for some second hand parts though getting them through Covid took some time. Generally stuff from the UK arrives pretty quickly.

The power steering pump is a common issue, you'll probably already do this but remove the fan for the power steering pump and give it a good clean as it often gets clogged with oil and sand.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Jason,
Nice R53 mate love the mods. Once you have it back on the road give us some feedback about those brakes if you can, I've been looking at brake kits for the R53 for a couple of months but had a heap of other important issues to fix with my red R53 but I'm almost back on the road after 3 months of tinkering and fixing things about another 4 weeks should all be done.

What exhaust manifold is that mate?

Are the front rotors 330mm if so, does it clear the 17inch and by how much ? - Rear brake is that a bigger rotor and stock caliper ?

New suspension will be killa bro nice.

Intercooler, does it come with proper mounting points at the rear like the factory one ? some cheap ebay type intercoolers have no mount point at all on the rear only the front and don't fit nice.
Cheers bro sorry for all the questions and shit but great to see a few more Australian R53's popping up :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jason,
Nice R53 mate love the mods. Once you have it back on the road give us some feedback about those brakes if you can, I've been looking at brake kits for the R53 for a couple of months but had a heap of other important issues to fix with my red R53 but I'm almost back on the road after 3 months of tinkering and fixing things about another 4 weeks should all be done.

Are the front rotors 330mm if so, does it clear the 17inch and by how much ? - Rear brake is that a bigger rotor and stock caliper ?

Intercooler, does it come with proper mounting points at the rear like the factory one ? some cheap ebay type intercoolers have no mount point at all on the rear only the front and don't fit nice.
Cheers bro sorry for all the questions and shit but great to see a few more Australian R53's popping up :cool:

Hey mate,

Yeah she is a way off yet but hopefully in next few months I'll see the next stage of upgrades ordered and get to work on it again.

The Airtec intercooler doesn't have rear mounting points but seems very sturdy with the front mounts..slight shaving down of the elbow of each mounting point for clearance and the standard horn mounts.. seems a quality piece so far.

The brakes are the 330mm kit with 4 pot APRACING calipers and are very effective but will be converting to the BMW M3 master upgrade to hopefully give a bit more feel and response earlier in the pedal travel.

I have 17 x 7.5 rims that have the arms out fairly wide and it gave a lot of clearance..maybe a fingers width .

I ran Goodrich braided front and HEL rear lines and will be swapping to HEL fronts as the Goodrich have a few internal corrosion issues..scoured the net to find a few comments on them having moisture inside rusting the braid.

The rears are an upgraded factory size slotted rotors and upgraded pads/lines.

I've only run the XFORCE headers and high flow cat, but had them ceramic coated to reduce under bonnet heat and heat absorbed into the power steering reservoir and lines etc..such a tight bay with heat soak also into the intercooler also..so preventative really, then an Invidia N1 system is on the way to finish it off... also had a heavier duty hose made for the feed hose with a glass wrap then replaced the pwr str fan/pump/and lines.. also an extra layer of heat shield between the two fold down layers above exhaust.

Lastly on the brake kit, the 330mm set up isn't necessary on a car this small really and other cheaper options available that will do the job nicely.. I just went a bit all out in case long term I end up doing internal mods and Harrop supercharger kit etc.

Cheers for the kind words mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's not very often a nice R53 comes up for sale in Perth. I must have bought my JCW R53 about the same time as you, May last year, though I had to wait for a couple of months before it arrived from Melbourne (due to Covid delays) and another month waiting for a non cracked park light to arrive so it would pass the pits for rego. I bought it via Gumtree and never got to see it or drive it before I bought it.

Those AP brakes look awesome, they look like they would work 100 times better than the stock JCW ones I have on mine. I wish I had gone for the Whiteline swaybar on the rear as I bought a Superpro one that was on special and painted it gold as I couldn't stand the blue colour. Ended up scratching half the paint off while trying to install it.

I have bought parts from Lohen in the UK and they arrived quite quickly and they even followed up with Cusco in Japan to get me a front & rear carbon brace. Other than that eBay was great for some second hand parts though getting them through Covid took some time. Generally stuff from the UK arrives pretty quickly.

The power steering pump is a common issue, you'll probably already do this but remove the fan for the power steering pump and give it a good clean as it often gets clogged with oil and sand.
Hey mate,

I take it you are in WA then ?

Yeah I've had to give it a miss a few times finding the combo I wanted but glad I looked again and found this one.

The WRX was a GC8 that I always wanted to have but to be honest it left me a bit cold in the fun to drive stakes and the Mini is far more fun.

[/QUOTE]

Het mate.

Yes the brakes as I mentioned to Steve prior to this are great but requires a master upgrade I believe to get the feel/pressure improved.

Whiteline strut brace is as is from Whiteline..I didn't want any parts looking non factory where I could help it in the engine bay so a black and grey theme.. and air box mod with elbow and K+N filter etc.

I pulled out all lines and old pwr str pump and fan etc then replaced all with new and heat sheath etc before fitting the ceramic coated headers to try and reduce all the heat related issues.

Should be back on the road soon to get a feel on the suspension and handling upgrades ... hoping in the next month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in Perth.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

R95 Wheels were refurbished but painted not powder coated due to the plastic centre caps. Dropped both rear wheels face down onto the pavement when installing BC coilovers and now look like they have gutter rash :(
Mine is stock other larger rear sway bar, defflapped the JCW airbox and some Mini LED spotlights that I have mounted onto stock R53 spotlight brackets (Not wired in yet). This one came with 210hp JCW kit from the factory with the JCW brakes, I haven't even drilled the rear shock towers for the dampener extenders as I want any changes to be reversable.

You are right about the mini being more fun. The larger rear sway bar makes the world of difference to the handling. I have a set of rear upper and lower adjustable control arms that I am unsure if I'll have fitted as it feels fine the way it is. A lot of people go looking for extra power and handling and brakes are an afterthought. Good to see you have done them first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jason,

Intercooler, does it come with proper mounting points at the rear like the factory one ? some cheap ebay type intercoolers have no mount point at all on the rear only the
I'm in Perth.
View attachment 285619

R95 Wheels were refurbished but painted not powder coated due to the plastic centre caps. Dropped both rear wheels face down onto the pavement when installing BC coilovers and now look like they have gutter rash :(
Mine is stock other larger rear sway bar, defflapped the JCW airbox and some Mini LED spotlights that I have mounted onto stock R53 spotlight brackets (Not wired in yet). This one came with 210hp JCW kit from the factory with the JCW brakes, I haven't even drilled the rear shock towers for the dampener extenders as I want any changes to be reversable.

You are right about the mini being more fun. The larger rear sway bar makes the world of difference to the handling. I have a set of rear upper and lower adjustable control arms that I am unsure if I'll have fitted as it feels fine the way it is. A lot of people go looking for extra power and handling and brakes are an afterthought. Good to see you have done them first.
and don't fit nice.
Nice looking R53 mate .
I'm in Perth.
View attachment 285619

Good to find some local Mini owners in Perth.

Agree on the brakes and handling first, after all the different cars I've owned and modified to some degree I've realised early on that there's little point doing power first.

I went the S due to knowing how much I wanted to modify the car and not wanting to do that to a JCW as I feel less concerned changing so much on the S.

I literally just removed my spotlights and I'm tossing up leaving them off or going very decent Aftermarket LED ones in black.

My next order of parts after I receive the rear adjustable camber arms,Exhaust and replace the CV's, is Newman street cam, 550cc Injectors, Kavs 16% pulley kit with colder plugs, new tensioner and guard, upgraded head gasket and ARP head stud kit, Mini Link ecu and a few bits.... then a Quaife ATB LSD and an xtreme organic clutch and flywheel kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounding good man, does the M3 master cylinder bolt straight in ? I've heard about different master cylinder because your pushing so many more pistons. Cool I will keep watch and see how it turns out. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounding good man, does the M3 master cylinder bolt straight in ? I've heard about different master cylinder because your pushing so many more pistons. Cool I will keep watch and see how it turns out. :)
Hey mate, yeah from what I've read so far the modified M3 set up works better but only trying it will tell... fingers crossed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What Newman cam do you have your eye on ? myself I might down the track fit a 250/400/PH2 cam.
And i was looking at the Invidia N1 exhaust also but after looking a bit more after fitting my scorpion manifold and cat I see the Invidia is only 2-1/4 inch so I may end up with a scorpion rear section yet to get the full flow on the rear at 2-1/2 inch as looking at my JCW rear section I have now there will be a bit of difference as that 1/4 inch or 6mm is quite smaller at the flange joint and can see it won't flow like the front section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What Newman cam do you have your eye on ? myself I might down the track fit a 250/400/PH2 cam.
And i was looking at the Invidia N1 exhaust also but after looking a bit more after fitting my scorpion manifold and cat I see the Invidia is only 2-1/4 inch so I may end up with a scorpion rear section yet to get the full flow on the rear at 2-1/2 inch as looking at my JCW rear section I have now there will be a bit of difference as that 1/4 inch or 6mm is quite smaller at the flange joint and can see it won't flow like the front section.
I'm looking at the fast road cam 2000/6500rpm as it's still in that lower drivable range rather than a more track oriented screamer, as for exhaust I think the N1 and high flow cat set up is plenty big enough for the little motor and my aim of a relatively mild 240 to 250 hp max... the flow alone should be considerably better than the factory set up I'd say... time will tell so fingers crossed... I'll honestly be happy if I hit 225 hp with reliability and a decent jump in torque but it all hinges on if I go with the Harrop kit or do the 16 % pulley/belt/service etc.. it's a hard thing to judge with the motors all being over 16 years old and varying in output and modifications.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts